|UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar|
|Date||October 13, 2012|
|City||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Total gate||$2.5–$2.6 million|
Vitor Belfort was expected to face Alan Belcher at the event. However, Belfort was pulled from the bout to face Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. Belcher also was forced to drop out of the card due to a spinal fracture.
After having their first fight end in a no contest due to an eye poke in the first round, a rematch between Phil Davis and Wagner Prado was briefly linked to UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot and then scheduled for this event.
Quinton Jackson was scheduled to face Glover Teixeira at the event. However, Jackson pulled out of the bout citing an injury, and was replaced by Fabio Maldonado. Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans was offered the fight with Teixeira but turned it down due to the short notice.
Geronimo dos Santos was scheduled to fight Gabriel Gonzaga at this event. However, dos Santos pulled out of the bout after a blood test showed that he had antibodies for Hepatitis B. With no time to find a suitable replacement, Gonzaga was pulled from the card.
Erik Koch was expected to face UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo in a title fight at this event, but on August 31, 2012, Koch was forced to pull out due to injury. Former UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar had agreed to step in for Koch and fight Aldo for the Featherweight title. However, on September 11, Aldo was also forced to pull out of the event with a foot injury after being involved in a motorcycle accident.
On September 12, 2012, UFC officials announced that UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and former The Ultimate Fighter star Stephan Bonnar would fight in the main event. Silva was a massive favorite going into the bout, which was a three-round fight. Although all main event fights have been five-round affairs since UFC 138, UFC 153 was the exception due to the short notice.
|Main Card (PPV)|
|Light Heavyweight||Anderson Silva||def.||Stephan Bonnar||TKO (knee and punches)||1||4:40|
|Heavyweight||Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira||def.||Dave Herman||Submission (armbar)||2||4:31|
|Light Heavyweight||Glover Teixeira||def.||Fabio Maldonado||TKO (physician stoppage)||2||5:00|
|Welterweight||Jon Fitch||def.||Erick Silva||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Phil Davis||def.||Wagner Prado||Submission (anaconda choke)||2||4:29|
|Welterweight||Demian Maia||def.||Rick Story||Submission (neck crank)||1||2:30|
|Preliminary Card (FX)|
|Featherweight||Rony Mariano Bezerra||def.||Sam Sicilia||TKO (punches)||2||4:16|
|Lightweight||Gleison Tibau||def.||Francisco Trinaldo||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Diego Brandao||def.||Joey Gambino||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Sergio Moraes||def.||Renee Forte||Submission (rear-naked choke)||3||3:10|
|Preliminary Card (Facebook)|
|Middleweight||Chris Camozzi||def.||Luiz Cané||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Cristiano Marcello||def.||Reza Madadi||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 30–27)||3||5:00|
Fighters were awarded $70,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva
- Knockout of the Night: Rony Mariano Bezerra
- Submission of the Night: Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
- Staff (2012-10-14). "UFC 153 draws an announced 16,844 fans for gate between $2.5–2.6 million". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- cagepotato.com (2012-10-22). "UFC 153 Pay-Per-View Buys Confirm That Squash Matches Are Totally Hot Right Now". MMALinker.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- Marrocco, Steven (2012-08-24). "Vitor Belfort replaces Lyoto Machida against champ Jon Jones at UFC 152". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- Alexander, Mookie (2012-08-24). "Alan Belcher Out Of UFC 153 Due To Spinal Fracture". BloodyElbow.com. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Staff (2012-08-25). "With Belcher's spinal fracture, Davis vs. Prado shifts to UFC 153 in Rio". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- Erickson, Matt (2012-09-11). "Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson hurt, forced out of UFC 153 co-main event vs. Glover Teixeira". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Halvatzis Jr., George (2012-09-12). "Fabio Maldonado Fills In For Quinton Jackson, Set To Fight Glover Teixeira In Co-Main Event Of UFC 153". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- Staff (2012-10-01). "Rashad explains Teixeira rejection". ESPN. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Staff (2012-10-04). "Heavyweight Geronimo dos Santos out at UFC 153, Gabriel Gonzaga without opponent". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Staff (2012-10-07). "Saturday's UFC 153 lineup set with two Facebook prelims, Gonzaga off card". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-07.
- "Fora do UFC Rio III, Mondragon terá de fazer tratamento por um ano". SporTV.com. 2012-10-09. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Morgan, John (2012-08-30). "USA TODAY: Frankie Edgar replaces Erik Koch, meets champ Jose Aldo at UFC 153". USA TODAY. MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- Erickson, Matt (2012-09-11). "Injury knocks Jose Aldo out of UFC 153 featherweight title main event with Frankie Edgar". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Morgan, John (2012-09-12). "USA TODAY: Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar headlines UFC 153". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- Marrocco, Steven (2012-09-13). "Anderson Silva opens as more than 13-to-1 favorite vs. Stephan Bonnar at UFC 153". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- Hall, Chris (2012-09-13). "UFC 153: Anderson Silva Vs. Stephan Bonnar Will Be A 3 Round Fight". BloodyElbow.com. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- Staff (2012-10-14). "UFC 153 bonuses: Nogueira, Jason, Fitch, Erick Silva get $70,000 awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "Stephan Bonnar, Dave Herman Fail UFC 153 Drug Tests", from Sherdog.com