|UFC 173: Barão vs. Dillashaw|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||May 24, 2014|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Total gate||$1.7 million|
A Middleweight Championship bout between the current champion Chris Weidman and number one contender Vitor Belfort was scheduled to headline this event. However, on February 27, the Nevada State Athletic Commission officially banned testosterone-replacement therapy (TRT) from combat sports. Belfort, who was using such therapy, was forced to withdraw from the bout and stated, "Given the time constraints involved between now and my proposed next bout in May, I have determined not to apply for a license to fight in Nevada at this time."
The main event was quickly changed as former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida agreed to step in to face Weidman for the title in the main event. However, on March 24, the UFC announced that Weidman had suffered a knee injury and that a new headline bout would be found. The Weidman title defense against Machida was moved to UFC 175 in July.
After the announcement that Weidman/Machida bout had been moved, a Bantamweight Championship bout between Renan Barão and Raphael Assunção was targeted as the event headliner. However, Assunção opted to decline the bout as a rib injury sustained in his last bout at UFC 170 had not healed enough to resume the proper training in advance of the event. Barão instead fought T.J. Dillashaw in the main event. As a result, Dillashaw's original opponent at the event, Takeya Mizugaki, faced Francisco Rivera.
The originally scheduled co-main event was Junior dos Santos against Stipe Miocic. However, that bout was moved to The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale. Subsequently, the bout between Dan Henderson and Daniel Cormier, briefly linked to UFC 175 was moved up to this event to bolster the card.
The coaches bout between The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 participants Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva was briefly linked to this event. However, the fight was moved twice - first being on May 31, 2014 at The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 Finale, but now it will be contested on July 5, 2014 at UFC 175.
Doo Ho Choi was expected to make his promotional debut at the event against Sam Sicilia. However, Choi was forced out of the bout with an injury, and was replaced by UFC newcomer Aaron Phillips.
Danny Mitchell was expected to face promotional newcomer Li Jingliang. However, Mitchell pulled out of the bout with an injury. Replacing Mitchell was The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson cast member David Michaud.
|Bantamweight||T.J. Dillashaw||def.||Renan Barão (c)||TKO (head kick & punches)||5||2:26||[a]|
|Light Heavyweight||Daniel Cormier||def.||Dan Henderson||Technical submission (rear-naked choke)||3||3:53|
|Welterweight||Robbie Lawler||def.||Jake Ellenberger||TKO (knee & punches)||3||3:06|
|Bantamweight||Takeya Mizugaki||def.||Francisco Rivera||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||James Krause||def.||Jamie Varner||TKO (ankle injury)||1||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Lightweight||Michael Chiesa||def.||Francisco Trinaldo||Decision (unanimous) (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Tony Ferguson||def.||Katsunori Kikuno||TKO (punch)||1||4:06|
|Bantamweight||Chris Holdsworth||def.||Chico Camus||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Mitch Clarke||def.||Al Iaquinta||Technical submission (D'arce choke)||2||0:57|
|Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Lightweight||Vinc Pichel||def.||Anthony Njokuani||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Sam Sicilia||def.||Aaron Phillips||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Li Jingliang||def.||David Michaud||Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)||3||5:00|
- For the UFC Bantamweight Championship
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Renan Barão vs. T.J. Dillashaw
- Performance of the Night: T.J. Dillashaw and Mitch Clarke
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- T.J. Dillashaw: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus) def. Renan Barão: $74,000
- Daniel Cormier: $170,000 (includes $85,000 win bonus) def. Dan Henderson: $100,000
- Robbie Lawler: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Jake Ellenberger: $68,000
- Takeya Mizugaki: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus) def. Francisco Rivera: $15,000
- James Krause: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Jamie Varner: $17,000
- Michael Chiesa: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Francisco Trinaldo: $12,000
- Tony Ferguson: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Katsunori Kikuno: $10,000
- Chris Holdsworth: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Chico Camus: $12,000
- Mitch Clarke: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Al Iaquinta: $14,000
- Vinc Pichel: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Anthony Njokuani: $20,000
- Sam Sicilia: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Aaron Phillips: $8,000
- Li Jingliang: $16,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. David Michaud: $8,000
- "UFC 173: Barão vs. Dillashaw draws 11,036 attendance for $1.7 million live gate". MMAjunkie.com. May 25, 2014.
- "Pay-per-view". mmapayout.com. June 6, 2014.
- Dann Stupp (2014-02-01). "Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort title fight slated for UFC 173 in May". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- UFC (2014-03-24). "Weidman out of UFC 173 with injury". UFC.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- Matt Erickson (2014-03-24). "Injury moves Chris Weidman-Lyoto Machida title fight from UFC 173 to UFC 175". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- Staff (2014-03-28). "Raphael Assuncao explains why he isn't fighting Renan Barao at UFC 173". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- John Morgan (2014-03-27). "UFC bantamweight champ Renan Barao faces T.J. Dillashaw in new UFC 173 headliner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- John Morgan (2014-03-28). "Francisco Rivera steps in to fight Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 173". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- Adam Hill (2014-03-03). "Dos Santos to fight Miocic at UFC 173". reviewjournal.com.com. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- mmajunkie staff (2014-04-07). "Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva shifts to UFC 175, dos Santos vs. Miocic headlines in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- Ariel Helwani (2014-03-31). "Daniel Cormier vs. Dan Henderson targeted for UFC 175". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- Staff (2014-04-23). "Dan Henderson vs. Daniel Cormier booked as UFC 173 co-headliner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-23.
- Ariel Helwani (2014-02-13). "Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva will headline FOX Sports 1 card on May 31". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-02-13.
- mmajunkie staff (2014-04-07). "Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva shifts to UFC 175". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- Staff (2014-04-01). "Yves Edwards vs. Piotr Hallmann pushed back from UFC 173 to UFC Fight Night 42". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Matt Erickson (2014-04-05). "Chico Camus in for Kyung Ho Kang, meets Chris Holdsworth at UFC 173". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
- B Wylie (2014-04-20). "Doo Ho Choi injured, out of next months Featherweight clash with Sam Sicilia at UFC 173". fightsportasia.com. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- Zane Simon (2014-05-03). "Welcome to the UFC Aaron Phillips". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- John Morgan (2014-05-01). "Danny Mitchell out at UFC 173, promotion seeks welterweight for Jingliang Li". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-05-01). "'TUF 16' vet David Michaud signed to UFC, meets Jingliang Li at UFC 173". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- "UFC 173: Barao vs. Dillashaw". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- staff (2014-05-25). "UFC 173 bonuses: T.J. Dillashaw doubles up to win $100,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (May 27, 2014). "UFC 173 salaries: T.J. Dillashaw earns $36,000 for breakthrough performance over Renan Barao". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved May 27, 2014.