|UFC 28: High Stakes|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 17, 2000|
|Venue||Trump Taj Mahal|
|City||Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA|
UFC 28 marked the first UFC event to be sanctioned by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, held under the newly formed "Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts". Hence, the event was held in New Jersey, the first UFC event to be held in a Northern State. The new rules introduced new strict weight classes, resulting in the first and only UFC Super Heavyweight bout ever, between Josh Barnett and Gan McGee. The first UFC Bantamweight bout took place at UFC 26 in June 2000.
The event was headlined by the return of former Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture, who had relinquished his title in 1998 to return to competitive wrestling and because of contract disputes--and he regained his championship belt by defeating Kevin Randleman. UFC 28 also features the first UFC appearances of Andrei Arlovski, Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Josh Barnett, and Gan McGee, and Matt Hughes's twin brother, Mark Hughes.
UFC 28 was the sixth straight UFC event to never see home video or DVD release, as their parent company SEG was nearing bankruptcy and almost died. UFC 28 was the last UFC event held by SEG in the US, and following UFC 29 in Japan, SEG sold the UFC to current owners Zuffa LLC.
- Lightweight bout: Ben Earwood vs. Chris Lytle
- Earwood wins by judges decision after 2 rounds. This bout aired on UFC 29 after the Lightweight Championship bout between Pat Miletich vs. Kenichi Yamamoto.
- Hughes wins by judges decision after 2 rounds. This bout aired on the pay-per-view event following the Barnett vs McGee fight.
- Pulver wins by knockout due to punches at :15 of Round 1.
- Heavyweight bout: Andrei Arlovski vs. Aaron Brink
- Arlovski wins by submission due to an armbar at :55 of Round 1.
- Barnett wins by technical knockout due to punches at 4:34 of Round 2.
- Sobral wins by judges' decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26) after 3 rounds.
- Couture wins by technical knockout due to punches at 4:13 of Round 3 to become the first fighter to become UFC Heavyweight Champion a second time.