|UFC 78: Validation|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 17, 2007|
|City||Newark, New Jersey|
UFC 78: Validation was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), that took place on November 17, 2007 at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. Validation was the first UFC event held in New Jersey since June 4, 2005's UFC 53: Heavy Hitters in Atlantic City.
The main event featured Rashad Evans against TUF 3 Light Heavyweight winner Michael Bisping in a light heavyweight contest. This was Bisping's last fight before dropping to Middleweight. Originally, Evans and Bisping were set to rematch their previous opponents Tito Ortiz and Matt Hamill at this event after their bouts ended in a draw and a controversial split decision at UFC 73 and UFC 75. However, Ortiz's commitments to filming Celebrity Apprentice forced his fight with Evans to be cancelled and an injury to Hamill forced him to withdraw from his fight with Bisping.
Additionally, Pride veterans Ryo Chonan and Akihiro Gono both made their UFC debuts. Both fighters fought at 183 pounds in Japan, but with the UFC's inclusion of the 170 pound division each fighter moved down to fight at welterweight. PRIDE veteran and Cuban judoka Hector Lombard was also scheduled to debut on the event but did not participate due to visa issues. Lombard ended up signing after UFC 145. Karo Parisyan instead faced Ryo Chonan, and Thiago Alves fought Chris Lytle.
This was the 100th event in UFC's history.
- Gono defeated McCrory via submission (armbar) at 3:19 of round 2.
- Aurelio defeated Caudillo via TKO (strikes) at 4:29 of round 1.
- Lauzon defeated Reinhardt via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:14 of round 1. This preliminary bout was aired on the broadcast.
- Alves defeated Lytle via TKO (doctor stoppage) at 5:00 of round 2.
- Edgar defeated Fisher via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–26).
- Herman defeated Doerksen via KO (punch) at 0:39 of round 3.
- Parisyan defeated Chonan via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
- Silva defeated Alexander via KO (punches) at 3:25 of round 1.
- Evans defeated Bisping via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
At the end of this event, $55,000 was awarded to each of the fighters who received one of these three awards.
- Fight of the Night: Thiago Alves vs. Chris Lytle
- Knockout of the Night: Ed Herman
- Submission of the Night: Akihiro Gono
- Stupp, Dann (September 18, 2007). "McCrory-Gono set for UFC 78". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- Martin, Damon (October 3, 2007). "Jake Daniels vs. Michael Bisping at UFC 78". MMA Weekly. Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- Lombard Denied Entry Into U.S