|UFC 85: Bedlam|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||June 7, 2008|
|Venue||The O2 Arena|
|City||London, United Kingdom|
The card was plagued by a number of injuries sustained by scheduled fighters, forcing the UFC to rework the card several times. Originally, the main event was to be between light heavyweights Chuck Liddell and Mauricio Rua; however, Rua required surgery on an injured knee and could not compete. Rashad Evans then replaced Rua in the main event with Liddell, but Liddell was forced to withdraw from the card due to a hamstring injury.
The UFC then named James Irvin as Liddell's replacement to fight Evans, but Irvin sustained a foot injury that forced him to pull out. Evans was then removed from the card as well. The main event was then changed to Matt Hughes against Thiago Alves. Hughes took the fight on short notice as a favor to the UFC and Alves came in four pounds overweight.
In other changes, a Jonathan Goulet and Paul Kelly match was scrapped when Goulet dropped out citing a lack of training time, followed by Kelly withdrawing before his opponent could be named because of an injury sustained in practice. Due to legal problems which resulted in a lack of time to prepare for his fight with Michael Bisping, Chris Leben was forced to withdraw from the card and the UFC announced Jason Day would face Bisping. Ryo Chonan was replaced by Kevin Burns, and Neil Wain was replaced by Eddie Sanchez.
- Hardonk defeated Sanchez via KO (punches) at 4:15 of round 2.
- Taylor defeated Liaudin via split decision (29–28, 29–28, 28–29).
- Cane defeated Lambert via TKO (punches) at 2:07 of round 1. The bout, although preliminary, was aired on the PPV broadcast after the Marquardt vs. Leites bout.
- Burns defeated Carneiro via submission (triangle choke) at 3:53 of round 2.
- Wiman defeated Tavares via KO (punches) at 1:57 of round 2. The bout, although preliminary, was aired on the PPV broadcast after the Hughes vs. Alves bout.
- Kampmann defeated Rivera via submission (guillotine choke) at 2:44 of round 1. The bout, although preliminary, was aired on the PPV broadcast after the Wiman vs. Tavares bout.
- Swick defeated Davis via unanimous decision (29–27, 29–27, 29–27). Swick had 1 point deducted in round 3 for holding the cage.
- Bisping defeated Day via TKO (strikes) at 3:42 of round 1.
- Werdum defeated Vera via TKO (strikes) at 4:40 of round 1.
- Leites defeated Marquardt via split decision (28–27, 28–27, 27–28). Marquardt had 2 points deducted during the fight, one in round 2 (illegal knee to the head of a downed opponent) and the other in round 3 (elbow to the back of the head).
- Alves defeated Hughes via TKO (flying knee and strikes) at 1:02 of round 2.
At the end of this event, the UFC awarded $50,000 to each of the fighters who received one of these three awards.
- Fight of the Night: Matt Wiman vs. Thiago Tavares
- Knockout of the Night: Thiago Alves
- Submission of the Night: Kevin Burns
- Dave Deibert (2008-06-07). "Thiago Alves beats Matt Hughes at UFC 85". The Vancouver Sun.
- "UFC Returns To London". UFC.com. 2008-03-06. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2008-03-04). "Rua Re-Injures Knee, will undergo Surgery". UFC.com.
- Foster, Eric (April 21, 2008). "Chuck Liddell Injured, Out of UFC 85". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
- Stupp, Dann (2008-05-27). "Kevin Burns expected to replace Ryo Chonan at UFC 85". Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- Stupp, Dann (2008-05-28). "Another UFC 85 change: Eddie Sanchez replaces Neil Wain". Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- Alves, Burns, Wiman and Tavares earn $50K UFC 85 bonuses | MMAjunkie.com