|UFC 97: Redemption|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||April 18, 2009|
|City||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
UFC 97: Redemption (not to be confused with UFC 17: Redemption) was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on April 18, 2009 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It broke the UFC attendance record that was set 364 days earlier in Montreal at UFC 83, by 61 people.
Preliminary card 
- Marshall defeated Magalhães via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 29–28).
- Grant defeated Chonan via split decision (30–27, 29–28, 28–29).
- Bocek defeated Bielkheden via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:57 of round 1.
- Herman defeated Loiseau via unanimous decision (30–26, 30–27, 30–27).
- Quarry defeated MacDonald via TKO (elbows) at 2:27 of round 1.
- Kang defeated Foupa-Pokam via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
Main card 
- Cane defeated Cantwell via unanimous decision (29–28, 30–27, 30–27).
- Kongo defeated Hardonk via TKO (punches) at 2:29 of round 2.
- Soszynski defeated Stann via submission (kimura) at 3:53 of round 1.
- Stout defeated Wiman via unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28). This bout was originally scheduled for the preliminary card but was moved to the main card due to time constraints.
- Rua defeated Liddell via TKO (punches) at 4:28 of round 1.
- Silva defeated Leites via unanimous decision (49–46, 48–47, 50–46) to retain the UFC Middleweight Championship.
Sanctioning and rules controversy 
On February 12, 2009, reports surfaced that province regulators ("Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux", or RACJ) requested a set of rule changes that differ from the Unified Rules of MMA put the event at risk from taking place. The proposed rule changes banned elbow and knee strikes, mandated a smaller cage, and would stop a fight when a fighter gets knocked down. Before, the RACJ has followed the Unified Rules, but as laws differ by city, state, or province, a commission can insist on the usage of its own rules.
On February 18, 2009, it was announced that UFC officials were able to convince the RACJ to reverse its stand and use the Unified Rules. As a concession, the UFC agreed to the banning of foot stomps for this event.
Bonus awards 
Fighters were awarded $70,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman
- Knockout of the Night: Mauricio Rua
- Submission of the Night: Krzysztof Soszynski
- Meltzer, Dave (2010-02-15). "UFC remains king of PPV hill". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2010-02-18.
- Pishna, Ken (February 12, 2009). "Possible Rule Changes Put UFC 97 in Jeopardy". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved February 12, 2009.
- "Possible Quebec Athletic Commission rule changes puts UFC 97 in jeopardy". FightTrend.com. February 12, 2009. Retrieved February 13, 2009.[dead link]
- "UFC's Montreal in jeopardy?". Sportsnet.ca. Retrieved February 12, 2009.
- Holland, Jesse (February 18, 2009). "UFC 97 to remain in Montreal on April 18". MMAmania.com. Retrieved February 18, 2009.
- "UFC 97 bonuses: Rua, Soszynski, Stout and Wiman each earn $70K awards". MMAjunkie.com. April 18, 2009. Retrieved April 18, 2009.