|UFC 98: Evans vs. Machida|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||May 23, 2009|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
A title unification match between the Interim UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir and UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar was originally slated to be the main event, but was postponed until UFC 100 due to a knee injury to Mir.
By way of replacement, Quinton Jackson, former UFC Light Heavyweight champion, was to fight the undefeated current champion Rashad Evans but had to undergo arthroscopic surgery to repair ligament damage in his jaw that he received in a previous training camp. Instead, Evans headlined the card against fellow undefeated contender Lyoto Machida.
The card featured the long anticipated grudge match between The Ultimate Fighter 6 coaches Matt Hughes and Matt Serra.
Due to injury, Josh Koscheck was not able to participate on this card. Brock Larson stepped in as the new opponent for Chris Wilson. Unfortunately, Chris Wilson was unable to complete the necessary medical paperwork in order to compete at UFC 98 and was replaced by Mike Pyle.
Yushin Okami was set to fight Dan Miller on the main card but was injured and taken off the card, Okami suffered a torn ligament. Early reports suggested Ed Herman would replace Okami, however Chael Sonnen stepped in to take the bout.
- Roop defeated Kaplan via split decision (30–27, 30–27, 28–29).
- Yoshida defeated Wolff via submission (guillotine choke) at 2:24 of round 1.
- Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Andre Gusmao
- Soszynski defeated Gusmao via KO (punches) at 3:17 of round 1. This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the McFedries vs. Foupa-Pokam fight.
- Bradley defeated Nover via TKO (punches) at 1:03 of round 1.
- Hague defeated Barry via submission (guillotine choke) at 1:42 of round 1. This bout aired last on the PPV broadcast following the Larson vs. Pyle fight.
- Larson defeated Pyle via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:06 of round 1. This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Evans vs. Machida fight.
- Edgar defeated Sherk via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
- Sonnen defeated Miller via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
- Middleweight bout: Drew McFedries vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam
- McFedries defeated Foupa-Pokam via TKO (punches) at 0:37 of round 1.
- Hughes defeated Serra via unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28).
Machida defeated Evans via KO (punches) at 3:57 of round 2 to become the new UFC Light Heavyweight Champion.
Fighters were awarded $60,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra
- Knockout of the Night: Lyoto Machida
- Submission of the Night: Brock Larson
- Lyoto Machida: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus) def. Rashad Evans: $200,000
- Matt Hughes: $200,000 ($100,000 win bonus) def. Matt Serra: $75,000
- Drew McFedries: $34,000 ($17,000 win bonus) def. Xavier Foupa-Pokam: $6,000
- Chael Sonnen: $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus) def. Dan Miller: $15,000
- Frankie Edgar: $40,000 ($20,000 win bonus) def. Sean Sherk: $40,000
- Brock Larson: $42,000 ($21,000 win bonus) def. Mike Pyle: $15,000
- Tim Hague: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus) def. Pat Barry: $7,000
- Kyle Bradley: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus) def. Phillipe Nover: $10,000
- Krzysztof Soszynski: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Andre Gusmao: $5,000
- Yoshiyuki Yoshida: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Brandon Wolff: $4,000
- George Roop: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. David Kaplan: $8,000
- "UFC 98 gate and attendance figures released from NSAC". Mmamania.com. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- Meltzer, Dave (2010-02-15). "UFC remains king of PPV hill". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2010-02-18.
- "UFC 98 EVANS vs MACHIDA". Ufc.com. Retrieved April 14, 2009.
- Caplan, Sam (February 22, 1999). "Injury to Frank Mir forces cancellation of UFC 98 rematch vs. Brock Lesnar". Five Ounces of Pain. Retrieved March 7, 2009.
- Pishna, Ken (March 7, 2009). "Frank Mir says May 23 date with Lesnar no go". Mma Weekly. Retrieved March 7, 2009.
- "Jackson hurt, Evans fight still in doubt". Sportsnet.ca. Retrieved March 10, 2009.
- By Josh Gross, SI.com (March 11, 2009). "Rashad Evans to defend title against undefeated Lyoto Machida at UFC 98 – SI.com – Mixed Martial Arts". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- "MMA – Josh Koscheck Injured, Out of UFC 98 Bout With Chris Wilson". 411mania.com. Retrieved April 3, 2009.
- "BROCK LARSON IN FOR KOSCHECK AT UFC 98". MMA Weekly. Retrieved April 7, 2009.
- "Pyle Replaces Wilson at UFC 98". Sherdog. Retrieved May 22, 2009.
- "JAMES IRVIN OFF UFC 98 WITH KNEE INJURY". Mma Weekly. Retrieved April 30, 2009.
- "XAVIER FOUPA-POKAM STEPS IN TO FIGHT MCFEDRIES". Mma Weekly. Retrieved April 30, 2009.
- "ED HERMAN REPLACES YUSHIN OKAMI AT UFC 98". Mma Weekly. Retrieved May 1, 2009.
- "HERMAN OUT, SONNEN IN VS. DAN MILLER AT UFC 98". Mma Weekly. Retrieved May 1, 2009.
- "SOSZYNSKI STEPS IN FOR ALEXANDER AT UFC 98". Mma Weekly. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "UFC 98 bonuses and awards for ‘Evans vs Machida’ PPV fights". MMAmania.com. May 24, 2009. Retrieved May 24, 2009.[dead link]