UFC Fight Night: Thomas vs. Florian
|UFC Fight Night: Thomas vs Florian|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||September 19, 2007|
|Venue||Palms Casino Resort|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
UFC Fight Night: Thomas vs Florian referred to by the media as UFC Fight Night 11 was a mixed martial arts (MMA) event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was broadcast live in the United States and Canada on Spike TV as a lead-in to the debut of The Ultimate Fighter 6.
The main event was originally expected to be a rematch between The Ultimate Fighter 1 contestants Chris Leben and Mike Swick. Leben, however, chose to decline the fight offer (Leben later claimed that his managers turned down the fight without his knowledge on an Ultimate Fighter 1 reunion episode). Swick was to be featured on the main card in a match against Canadian fighter Jonathan Goulet, who confirmed the bout on July 18 to The Fight Network. Reports indicate that veteran UFC fighter Chris Lytle was also considered for the bout. However, Swick pulled out of the bout on September 2, 2007 due to a rib injury.Goulet faced Dustin Hazelett instead.
The card was rescheduled to feature a lightweight main event bout between Din Thomas and Spencer Fisher. However, on August 7, Fisher announced via his MySpace page that he was withdrawing from the event due to a staph infection in his knee. Former title challenger Kenny Florian replaced Fisher in the main event.
Chris Leben remained on the fight card; he appeared in a middleweight match with Terry Martin. Nate Quarry, the first cast member of The Ultimate Fighter reality series to challenge for a UFC championship, also returned to the UFC after nearly a two-year layoff following his match against Rich Franklin at UFC 56.
|Lightweight||Kenny Florian||def.||Din Thomas||Submission (rear naked choke)||1||4:30|
|Middleweight||Chris Leben||def.||Terry Martin||KO (punch)||3||3:56|
|Lightweight||Nate Diaz||def.||Junior Assuncao||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||4:10|
|Middleweight||Nate Quarry||def.||Pete Sell||KO (punch)||3||0:42|
|Welterweight||Dustin Hazelett||def.||Jonathan Goulet||Submission (armbar)||1||1:14|
|Welterweight||Thiago Alves||def.||Kuniyoshi Hironaka||TKO (punch and knee)||2||4:04|
|Lightweight||Cole Miller||def.||Leonard Garcia||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Luke Cummo||def.||Edilberto de Oliveira||TKO (punches)||1||1:45|
|Lightweight||Gray Maynard||def.||Joe Veres||KO (punch)||1||0:09|
Fighters were awarded $40,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Cole Miller vs. Leonard Garcia
- Knockout of the Night: Chris Leben
- Submission of the Night: Nate Diaz
- "UFC Fight Night: Din Thomas vs Kenny Florian". UFC.com. Retrieved February 16, 2009.
- Loretta Hunt (July 9, 2007). "PM Update – July 9". TheFightNetwork.com.
- Mike Doyle (July 18, 2007). "Goulet, Swick to Tangle". TheFightNetwork.com.
- Quinton Harlan (August 12, 2007). "Lytle Submits Brown at Conseco Fieldhouse". Sherdog.com. Retrieved August 12, 2007.
- "Exclusive: Swick vs Goulet Off". mmaontap.com. September 2, 2007. Retrieved September 3, 2007.
- "Spencer forced to withdraw". mmaontap.com. September 7, 2007. Retrieved September 18, 2007.