UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga
|UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||July 27, 2013|
UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga (also known as UFC on Fox 8) was a mixed martial arts event held on July 27, 2013 at the Key Arena in Seattle, Washington. The event was broadcast live on FX and Fox.
The main event was a UFC Flyweight Championship bout between champion Demetrious Johnson and top contender John Moraga. The pairing was originally expected to take place on April 13, 2013 at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale. However, Johnson was forced out of the bout with an injury and Moraga was pulled from that event as well.
Michael Chiesa was originally set to face Reza Madadi on this card. However, on May 14, 2013, it was announced Madadi pulled out of the bout citing alleged visa issues and was replaced by Jorge Masvidal.
Tarec Saffiedine was expected to make his promotional debut at this event opposite Robbie Lawler; however, Saffiedine was forced out of the bout with an injury and was replaced by Siyar Bahadurzada. On July 11, it was announced that Bahadurzada also pulled out of the bout and was replaced by Bobby Voelker.
Matt Mitrione was expected to face Brendan Schaub at the event. However, in mid-July, Mitrione pulled out of the bout citing an injury and Schaub was pulled from the event as well with the pairing rescheduled to UFC 165.
Both John Albert and Tim Means missed weight for their respective fights; rather than use time to cut additional weight, both men forfeited 20 percent of their purses to their opponent and the bouts were made catchweight affairs.
|Flyweight||Demetrious Johnson (c)||def.||John Moraga||Submission (armbar)||5||3:43||[a]|
|Welterweight||Rory MacDonald||def.||Jake Ellenberger||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Robbie Lawler||def.||Bobby Voelker||KO (head kick & punch)||2||0:24|
|Women's Bantamweight||Liz Carmouche||def.||Jéssica Andrade||TKO (punches & elbows)||2||3:57|
|Preliminary card (FX)|
|Lightweight||Jorge Masvidal||def.||Michael Chiesa||Submission (D'arce choke)||2||4:59|
|Catchweight (160 lbs)||Danny Castillo||def.||Tim Means||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Melvin Guillard||def.||Mac Danzig||KO (punches)||2||2:47|
|Lightweight||Daron Cruickshank||def.||Yves Edwards||Decision (split) (30-27, 27-30, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Ed Herman||def.||Trevor Smith||Decision (split) (30-27, 27-30, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Bantamweight||Germaine de Randamie||def.||Julie Kedzie||Decision (split) (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Facebook)|
|Lightweight||Justin Salas||def.||Aaron Riley||Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (137 lbs)||Yaotzin Meza||def.||John Albert||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||2:49|
- For the Flyweight Championship.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of The Night: Ed Herman vs. Trevor Smith
- Knockout of The Night: Melvin Guillard
- Submission of the Night: Demetrious Johnson
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Washington State Department of Licensing. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Demetrious Johnson: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus) def. John Moraga: $17,000
- Rory MacDonald: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus) def. Jake Ellenberger: $52,000
- Robbie Lawler: $156,000 (includes $78,000 win bonus) def. Bobby Voelker: $12,000
- Liz Carmouche: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Jessica Andrade: $8,000
- Jorge Masvidal: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus) def. Michael Chiesa: $15,000
- Danny Castillo: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus) def. Tim Means: $12,000 ^
- Melvin Guillard: $84,000 (includes $42,000 win bonus) def. Mac Danzig: $30,000
- Daron Cruickshank: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Yves Edwards: $21,000
- Ed Herman: $74,000 (includes $37,000 win bonus) def. Trevor Smith: $8,000
- Germaine de Randamie: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus) def. Julie Kedzie: $9,000
- Justin Salas: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Aaron Riley: $8,000
- Yaotzin Meza: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. John Albert: $10,000 ^
^ John Albert and Tim Means were reportedly fined 20 percent of their purse for failing to make the required weight for their fights. The Washington State Department of Licensing's initial report did not include information on the penalty.
- "UFC on FOX 8 officially draws 8,967 attendance for $700,081 live gate". MMA Junkie. 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "UFC announces return to KeyArena on July 27". seattletimes.com. 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Staff (2013-03-22). "UFC on FOX 8 heading to Seattle's KeyArena in July". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Jesse Holland (2013-04-25). "Demetrious Johnson vs. John Moraga flyweight title fight headlines UFC on FOX 8 in Seattle". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "Demetrious Johnson defends UFC flyweight title vs. John Moraga at TUF 17 Finale". mmajunkie.com. February 11, 2013.
- Staff (2013-02-26). "Demetrious Johnson injured, title fight with John Moraga off TUF 17 Finale". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- Staff (2013-04-23). "Michael Chiesa vs. Reza Madadi added to UFC on FOX 8 in Seattle". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- "Reza Madadi out of UFC on FOX 8, Jorge Masvidal now meets Michael Chiesa". mmajunkie.com. 2013-05-14.
- A.J. Perez (2013-05-28). "Tate replacing Zingano on TUF". msn.foxsports.com.com. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Ariel Helwani (2013-05-31). "Liz Carmouche vs. newcomer Jessica Andrade slated for UFC on FOX 8". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Staff (2013-06-04). "Bahadurzada replaces injured Saffiedine, meets Lawler at UFC on FOX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Siyar Bahardurzada out at UFC on FOX 8, Bobby Voelker faces Robbie Lawler". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Ariel Helwani (2013-07-10). "Matt Mitrione vs. Brendan Schaub off UFC on FOX 8 card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Tim Means replaces Bobby Green, faces Danny Castillo at UFC on FOX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Daron Cruickshank replaces Spencer Fisher, meets Yves Edwards at UFC on FOX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Staff (2013-07-26). "UFC on FOX 8 weigh-in results: Johnson, Moraga on mark for title fight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- "UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- Staff (2013-07-27). "UFC on FOX 8 bonuses: Johnson, Guillard, Herman, Smith earn $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- Staff (2013-07-30). "UFC on FOX 8 salaries: Lawler, Guillard, Herman earn top disclosed paydays". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.