UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos
|UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 12, 2011|
UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos (also known as UFC on Fox 1) was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on November 12, 2011 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. The event was the most-watched live MMA event in the United States with an average of 5.7 million viewers and a ratings peak of 8.8 million viewers during the main event.
This card marked the UFC's debut on the Fox Network. Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed that the debut show would be a one hour special with only the main event airing live on television, but a full preliminary card taking place beforehand.
The UFC on Fox main event broadcast marked the most-watched live hour ever for MMA in the United States and averaged 5.7 million viewers. The ratings peaked in the United States at 8.8 million viewers for the main event.
|Heavyweight||Junior dos Santos||def.||Cain Velasquez (c)||KO (punches)||1||1:04||[a]|
|Preliminary card (Facebook)|
|Lightweight||Benson Henderson||def.||Clay Guida||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Featherweight||Dustin Poirier||def.||Pablo Garza||Submission (D'arce choke)||2||1:32|
|Featherweight||Ricardo Lamas||def.||Cub Swanson||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||2||2:16|
|Welterweight||DaMarques Johnson||def.||Clay Harvison||KO (punches)||1||1:34||[c]|
|Bantamweight||Darren Uyenoyama||def.||Norifumi Yamamoto||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-26, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Robbie Peralta||vs.||Mackens Semerzier||NC (accidental headbutt)||3||1:54||[d]|
|Bantamweight||Alex Caceres||def.||Cole Escovedo||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Mike Pierce||def.||Paul Bradley||Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Aaron Rosa||def.||Matt Lucas||Decision (majority) (28-28, 30-26, 30-26)||3||5:00||[e]|
- For the UFC Heavyweight Championship.
- UFC Lightweight title eliminator.
- This bout aired last on the international broadcast following the Velasquez vs. dos Santos fight.
- Originally ruled a TKO win for Peralta. Overturned by the California State Athletic Commission.
- Lucas was deducted one point in the second round for repeatedly dropping his mouthpiece.
Fighters were awarded $65,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Clay Guida vs. Benson Henderson
- Knockout of the Night: Junior dos Santos
- Submission of the Night: Ricardo Lamas
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the California State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Junior dos Santos: $220,000 ($110,000 win bonus) def. Cain Velasquez: $100,000
- Ben Henderson: $60,000 ($30,000 win bonus) def. Clay Guida: $40,000
- Dustin Poirier: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Pablo Garza: $8,000
- Ricardo Lamas: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Cub Swanson: $15,000
- DaMarques Johnson: $28,000 ($14,000 win bonus) def. Clay Harvison: $8,000
- Darren Uyenoyama: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Norifumi Yamamoto: $15,000
- Robert Peralta: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Mackens Semerzier: $8,000
- Alex Caceres: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Cole Escovedo: $6,000
- Mike Pierce: $36,000 ($18,000 win bonus) def. Paul Bradley: $8,000
- Aaron Rosa: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Matt Lucas: $6,000
- "UFC on FOX officially draws 11,607 attendance for $1.07 million gate". MMAjunkie.com. November 17, 2011.
- Pugmire, Lance. "UFC's Fox TV debut features Cain Velasquez-Junior Dos Santos bout." LA Times. 09, 02, 2011: n. page. Web. 1 Dec. 2012. <http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/02/sports/la-sp-0903-ufc-20110903
- Sandomir, Richard. "Fox’s U.F.C. Broadcast a Hit With Viewers." New York Times. 13 20011: 1. Web. 1 Dec. 2012. <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/sports/foxs-ufc-broadcast-a-hit-with-viewers.html?_r=0>
- "Details emerge regarding first UFC on FOX event". lasvegassun.com. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- "Velasquez-Dos Santos will be lone fight on UFC on FOX 1, regardless of length". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "In addition to title fight, FOX Deportes to air Henderson-Guida and Poirier-Garza". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX's Guida vs. Henderson winner expected to face champ Edgar in Japan". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "UFC on Fox sets MMA mark for viewers". USA Today. November 13, 2011. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX peaks with 8.8 million viewers for Velasquez-Dos Santos title fight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 16, 2011.
- "Robert Peralta's UFC on FOX 1 victory over Mackens Semerzier officially ruled a no contest.". MMA Mania. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX bonuses: Dos Santos, Lamas, Henderson, Guida earn $65K fighter awards". MMAjunkie.com. November 12, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX salaries and payouts for 'Velasquez vs Dos Santos' event fighters". mmamania.com. November 17, 2010.