UFO sightings in Brazil
- On 23 July, 1947, topographer José Higgins was working with many laborers in Bauru, São Paulo. Suddenly, they heard an extremely sharp sound. Some moments later, a big object landed near them. Its diameter was about 45 meters, and it seemed made of metal, grey colored and landed on the ground with also metallized “feet”. There was also a “ring” around it, making the object look like Saturn. A hatch opened and out emerged strange humanoid creatures which communicated to Higgins using hand signals.
- On 5 May 1952, the journalist Joao Martins and the photographer Eduardo Keffel claimed to have seen a flying disk in the vicinity of Barra da Tijuca. Keffel took some photographs of the UFO, which were published by the magazine O Cruzeiro.
- On 13 September 1957 The journalist Ibrahim Sued received an envelope containing a letter and three fragments of metal. The author of the letter wrote that he saw a UFO which exploded in the sky over the beach of Ubatuba; he collected some fragments and sent three of these to the journal together with the letter. Sued sent the fragments to a laboratory which analized them and discovered that they consisted of pure magnesium. James Harder and other ufologists came to the conclusion that the fragments of Ubatuba have an extraterrestrial origin, but other investigators think that this story is a hoax.
Antonio Villas Boas claimed to have been abducted by extraterrestrials on 16 October 1957. Though similar stories had circulated for years beforehand, Boas's claims was among the first alien abduction stories to receive wide attention.
The Burning on Forte Itaipu Sentinels UFO Incident was one of the most famous that involved injuries to human beings. It took place on 4 November, 1957, on the Forte Itaipu, in the city of Praia Grande, São Paulo, Brazil.
- At 12:00 pm of 16 January, 1958, the Brazilian ship Almirante Saldanha, taking part in projects of the Ano Geofísico Internacional, was preparing to sail away from Ilha de Trindade, off the coast of Espírito Santo. Captain Viegas was on the deck with several scientists and members of the crew when he suddenly noticed a flying object, which had a “ring” around it, just like Saturn. Everyone reportedly saw the UFO at the same time. It came to the island from the east, flew towards the Pico Desejado (Wished Peak), made a step turn and went away very quickly to the northwest. As soon as the object was noticed Almiro Baraúna was requested for photographing. After getting the camera and going up the quarter-deck, he stated that he managed to take pictures of the object.
- The Colares flap refers to an outbreak of UFO sightings that occurred in 1977 on the Brazilian island of Colares. During the outbreak, the UFOs allegedly attacked the citizens with intense beams of radiation that left burn marks and puncture wounds. These sightings led to the Brazilian government dispatching a team to investigate under the codename Operation Saucer (Portuguese: Prato, see below), but the government later recalled the team and classified the files until the late 1990s.
The first operation of the Brazilian Air Force created only to investigate UFO-related issues. This operation was started shortly after the Colares UFO flap.
- On 28 July 1979, 'Antonio Carlos Ferreira' claims to have lived an experience of contacts with extraterrestrials. He worked as a security guard at a furniture company, located at Mirassol, São Paulo, Brazil.
- Elias Seixas de Mattos was a truck driver from Rio de Janeiro in 1980, when he had suffered an unexplainable experience. His story, along with the ones from his two friends, has earned an important page in the history of Brazilian Ufology because of the quantity of details he displayed to describe the situations.
A series of UFO sightings all over the states of Southeastern Brazil.
- The Varginha UFO incident was an incident in Varginha, Brazil, in 1996 involving reports of unidentified flying objects and strange creatures (allegedly extraterrestrials) which were supposedly captured by Brazilian officials.
- In Saragonha Island, at Patos Lagoon, Haroldo Westendorff witnessed a cone-shaped UFO, 50 to 60 meters tall, with a base as big as a soccer stadium. He flew around the object for some 15 minutes, keeping 100 meters of distance. the object was spinning around itself and heading towards the sea. The object was spotted at the radar of Infraero's room at Pelotas' airport. the object was not detected by Cindacta II in Curitiba, Paraná, which was responsible for watching the skies of southern Brazil. Westendorff also reported a smaller object coming out of the top of the big UFO, which climbed into the skies at a very fast speed, with the larger UFO following shortly afterwards. The Ministério da Aeronáutica (Aeronautic Ministry) kept a secret investigation of the object seen by Westendorff.
- On 19 June, a light was visible in the sky over one of the protests in Brazil, and seen by thousands attending the event. It was reported to be an UFO, but it was actually a drone used by local newspaper Folha de S. Paulo in order to shoot aerial images of the demonstrations.
- Barra de Tijuca UFO Photos
- Ubatuba fragments
- Ubatuba UFO samples
- Vallée, Jacques (1990). Confrontations — A Scientist's Search for Alien Contact. Souvenir Press Ltd. pp. 3–15. ISBN 0-285-62976-X.
- Westendorff UFO sighting at Revista Vigília
- Drawing of the object supposedly seen by Westendorff
- Westendorff UFO sighting at Nonsoloufo
- A video of the incident, with testmonials of Westendorff and other people linked with the incident
- "Uso de drone pela Folha repercute no 'WSJ'; site suspeitou ser um óvni". Folha de S. Paulo (in Portuguese) (São Paulo). 24 June 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- MUFON - Last 20 UFO Sightings and Pictures
- UFO in the state of Paraíba/Brazil[dead link] (DECEMBER/2006)
- UFO-SIGHTINGS: The Unforgettable Experience
- Fenomenum (Brazilian site)