Europe PubMed Central
|Description||UKPMC: a full text article resource for the life sciences.|
|Research center||European Bioinformatics Institute|
|Authors||Johanna R McEntyre|
|Primary citation||McEntyre et al. (2011)|
Europe PubMed Central (Europe PMC) is an on-line database that offers free access to a large and growing collection of biomedical research literature. It was known as UK PubMed Central until 1 November 2012. Europe PMC is based on the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) PubMed and PubMed Central. The Europe PMC project was originally launched in 2007 as the first ‘mirror’ site to PMC, which aims to provide international preservation of the open and free-access biomedical and life sciences literature. It forms part of a network of PMC International (PMCI) repositories that includes PubMed Central Canada. Europe PMC is not an exact "mirror" of the PMC database but has developed some different features. On February 15, 2013, CiteXplore was subsumed under Europe PubMed Central.
The resource is managed and developed by the European Molecular Biology Laboratory-European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), along with The British Library and The University of Manchester (Mimas and NaCTeM) on behalf of an alliance of 19 biomedical and life sciences research funders, led by the Wellcome Trust. The Europe PMC funders group requires that articles describing the results of biomedical and life sciences research they have supported be made freely available in Europe PMC within 6 months of publication to maximise the impact of the work that they fund.
Europe PMC provides free access to more than 2 million full-text biomedical and life sciences research articles and more than 26 million citations from PubMed and AGRICOLA, patents from the European Patent Office and UK clinical guidelines. Europe PMC contains some citation information and includes text-mining based marked up text that links to external molecular and medical datasets. The Grant Lookup facility allows users to search for information on around 40,000 grants awarded by the Europe PMC funders.
Europe PMC offers a manuscript submission system, Europe PMC plus, which allows scientists to submit their peer-reviewed research articles for inclusion in the Europe PMC collection.
Europe PMC is supported by eighteen organisations: Action on Hearing Loss, Arthritis Research UK, Austrian Science Fund (FWF), the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council, Breakthrough Breast Cancer, the British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research UK, the Chief Scientist Office of the Scottish Executive Health Department, the Department of Health, the Dunhill Medical Trust, the European Research Council, Marie Curie Cancer Care, the Medical Research Council, the Motor Neurone Disease Association, the Multiple Sclerosis Society, the Myrovlytis Trust, Parkinson's UK, Telethon Italy, and the Wellcome Trust.
- McEntyre, J. R.; Ananiadou, S.; Andrews, S.; Black, W. J.; Boulderstone, R.; Buttery, P.; Chaplin, D.; Chevuru, S. et al. (2010). "UKPMC: A full text article resource for the life sciences". Nucleic Acids Research 39 (Database issue): D58–D65. doi:10.1093/nar/gkq1063. PMC 3013671. PMID 21062818.
- Kinsey, Anna (1 November 2012). "UKPMC becomes Europe PubMed Central". Europe PubMed Central. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- USA. "PMC International". Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "UKPMC: a full text article resource for the life sciences - UKPMC Article - Europe PubMed Central". UKPMC Article. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Funders - About - Europe PubMed Central". Europepmc.org. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "UKPMC: a full text article resource for the life sciences - UKPMC Article - Europe PubMed Central". Europepmc.org. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Europe PubMed Central Funders". Retrieved 2012-11-01.