UK Social Centre Network
The UK Social Centre Network (as known as the Social Centre Network) is a grass roots initiative to establish a network between self identified radical independent community social centres in the United Kingdom. There is no single policy statement but a general desire to improve communication and co-operation between "the growing number of autonomous spaces to share resources, ideas and information".
Self selected participants draw a clear distinction between their radical autonomous spaces on one side and the state or large NGO sponsored community centres on the other. While there has been something of a tradition of social spaces in occupied buildings (also known as squatting), recent years have seen an upsurge in the creation of social centres in rented or purchased buildings. The network of social centres in the UK is in its infancy compared to in Holland, Italy and Spain, although it can trace its roots back to the autonomous clubs of the 1980s such as Centro Iberico, Wapping Autonomy Centre and the still extant 1 in 12 Club in Bradford.
Paul Chatterton and Stuart Hodkinson view social centres as part of the "broader 'autonomous movement,'" playing an "important role in the re-thinking and re-making 'citizenship' by bringing people together in spaces whose very reason for existence is to question and confront the rampant individualism of everyday life."
In November 2014, the Sumac Centre in Nottingham hosted the first weekend gathering of the UK Social Centre Network in many years.[when?] The network met again in April 2015 at the Next To Nowhere Social Centre in Liverpool.
|1 in 12 Club||21-23 Albion Street, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD1 2LY||1981||Building established in 1988||www.1in12.com|
|56a Infoshop||56a Crampton Street, Walworth, London, SE17 3AE||June 1991||Squatted until 2003, then council rented||56a.org.uk (archive)|
|Autonomous Centre of Edinburgh||17 West Montgomery Place, Edinburgh, EH7 5HA||1997||Preceded by Unemployed Workers' Centre occupation.||autonomous.org.uk|
|Black Cat café||76 Clarence Road, London||late 2013 ||Preceded by Pogo café, workers' co-operative, leased.||blackcatcafe.co.uk|
|Blackcurrent||24 St. Michaels Avenue, Northampton, NN1 4JQ||http://www.blackcurrentcentre.org.uk|
|Casa / Initiative Factory||29 Hope Street, Liverpool||http://www.initfactory.gn.apc.org/|
|Cowley Club||12 London Road, Brighton, BN1 4JA||http://www.cowleyclub.org.uk|
|Freedom Press||84b Whitechapel High Street (Angel Alley), London, E1 7ZX||http://www.freedompress.org.uk/|
|Kebele Cultural Project||14 Robertson Road, Bristol, B55 6JY||http://www.kebelecoop.org|
|London Action Resource Centre||62 Fieldgate Street, London, E1 1NS||http://www.londonarc.org/|
|Newport Action Centre||c/o 125 Lower Dock Street, Pill, Newport, NP20 (South Wales)||http://network23.org/nac|
|Next To Nowhere||Basement, 96 Bold Street, Liverpool, L1 4HY||http://www.liverpoolsocialcentre.org|
|Oxford Action Resource Centre||Upstairs in the East Oxford Community Centre, Princes St (junction with Cowley Rd), Oxford OX4 1DD||http://theoarc.org.uk/|
|Red and Black Umbrella (closed for the time being)||57-58 Clifton Street, Cardiff, Adamsdown CF24 1LS||http://redandblackumbrella.squat.net/|
|Star and Shadow (Canny Little Library)||Newcastle upon Tyne||http://www.starandshadow.org.uk/ http://cannylittlelibrary.tumblr.com/|
|Subrosa||27 Lloyd Street South, Moss Side, Manchester, M14 7HS||April 2014||To close end of May 2015||manchestersocialcentre.org.uk|
|Sumac Centre||245 Gladstone Street, Forest Fields, Nottingham, NG7 6HX||Mortgage||http://www.sumac.org.uk|
|Warzone||Little Victoria Street, Belfast, County Antrim BT2 7JH||http://www.warzonecollective.com|
|Wharf Chambers||23-25 Wharf Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS2 7EQ||wharfchambers.org|
|121 Centre||121 Railton Road, Brixton, London||1981 to 1999||Squatted, closed due to eviction|
|The Basement||Lever Street, Manchester||to 2007||Non-squatted, closed due to flood, succeeded by Subrosa||manchestersocialcentre.org.uk|
|The Common Place||23-25 Wharf St, Leeds, LS2 7EQ||Non-squatted||thecommonplace.org.uk[dead link]|
|Sheffield Social Centre Collective||Sheffield||sheffieldsocialcentre.org.uk|
Evicted Social Centres
Examples of long-term squatted and now evicted projects would include the Spike Surplus Scheme and the 491 Gallery. Other past squatted centres in London have included the Bank of Ideas, RampART (Peckham), Our Bohemia, The Square and Ratstar. Some social centres occurred in a number of times and/or locations such as 195 Mare Street, Offmarket and the Really Free School.
Elsewhere in the UK, a list of social centres would include the Free Factory in Bristol, Pleb's College in Oxford, Cwtch Community Centre in Swansea, the Peoples Autonomous Destination (PAD) and Gremlin Alley in Cardiff, the George’s X Chalkboard in Glasgow, Matilda in Sheffield, the Mill Road Social Centre in Cambridge, Sabotaj in Brighton, Justice not Crisis, the Birmingham social centre and most recently, Free Milk! (Platt Chapel) in Manchester.
There are groups which choose to do temporary squatted events lasting a fixed time. Such groups may exist for years, such as the House of Brag (London), A-Spire (Leeds), Temporary Autonomous Arts (London, Sheffield, Brighton, Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff), Anarchist Teapot (Brighton), Wildcats (Brighton) or the OKasional Cafe (Manchester).
- "Ebb and Flow - Autonomy and Squatting in Brighton". academia.edu. p. 167. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "What are Social Centres?". Social Centres Network. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "Squats and Spaces Solidarity Day: The Globe as a Temporary Autonomous Zone". Social Centre Stories. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "Autonomy Centres, Riots & The Big Rammy". Uncarved.org. 1932-12-18. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "About |". Socialcentrestories.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- Hodkinson, S. and Chatterton, P. (2006). "‘Autonomy in the city? Reflections on the social centres movement in the UK’". City 10 (3): 305–315. doi:10.1080/13604810600982222.
- "Local Tradition, Local Trajectories and Us: 56a Infoshop, Black Frog and more in South London". Social centre stories. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "History of ACE". Automous.org. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- Young, Sarah. "It's ACE !". Peace News. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- Micner, Tamara Felisa. "Black Cat Café – review". Hackney Citizen. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Social Centre to open at new home this weekend". Mule. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Dear Friends of Manchester Social Centre and Subrosa,". Manchester Social Centre. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Brixton: 121 Centre". Urban75. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "History". Manchester Social Centre. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "The Common Place, Leeds". Social Centre Stories. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Peckham Social Centre". Peckham.squat.net. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- [dead link]
- "Eviction Resistance at The Square - UK Indymedia". Indymedia.org.uk. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Really Free School". Reallyfreeschool.org. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "factory | Just another WordPress.com weblog". Freefactory.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Plebs' College". Plebscollege.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- [dead link]
- "The PAD social centre | Peoples’ Autonomous Destination- a radical social centre for Cardiff". Thepad.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Gremlin Alley Social Centre | Resisting eviction since 4th October". Welcometogremlinalley.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Chalkboard – the successes and failures of a Maryhill community tendency |". Socialcentrestories.wordpress.com. 2008-04-29. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Matilda". Matilda.aktivix.org. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Mill Road Social Centre | News, activities, stories and pictures from Cambridge’s new social centre". Millroadsocialcentre.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Court evicts Brighton Taj squatters (From The Argus)". Theargus.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Birmingham Social Centre | A site for the grass roots social centre in Birmingham". Birminghamsocialcentre.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "The London Queer Social Centre". Houseofbrag.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "OK Cafe Manchester | Manchester's OKasional social centre". Okcafe.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- Social Centres Network
- Social Centre Network E-list
- Social Centres Gathering, November 2014
- Autonomous London
- Indymedia UK - Free Spaces section
- Advisory Service for Squatters