UK Young Publishing Entrepreneur Awards
The UK Young Publishing Entrepreneur (UKYPE) Award celebrates entrepreneurial ability within publishing, and strengthens creative leadership, networking, and capacity building in the UK publishing industry. It also focuses on strengthening the engagement between the UK and publishing in emerging markets, and seeks to further stimulate the development of the UK publishing industry in an international business context.
The award is one of a number of Creative Entrepreneur Awards run by the British Council as part of their Creative Entrepreneurship programme, both for entrepreneurs in the UK and internationally. Also included is the International Young Music Entrepreneur of the Year and International Young Publisher of the Year.
The aim is to find the most talented young entrepreneurs working in the UK’s publishing industry and give them the chance to find out more about what is happening out there, by becoming part of the British Council’s international network of young creative entrepreneurs.
Six finalists took part in a 10-day study tour of South Africa’s publishing industry. The group visited Cape Town and Johannesburg in early March 2010, meeting with senior figures and fellow young entrepreneurs from the creative industries, and learning, first-hand, how the South African booktrade works. Upon their return to London, the finalists were interviewed again by a judging panel and assessed on their experience, understanding, and ability to spot opportunities in the South African publishing sector..,
South Africa has been chosen as the host country for UKYPE 10 to coincide with it being the country of honour at this year’s London Book Fair.
The six UKYPE 10 finalists were:
- Daniel Crewe Associate Publisher, Profile Books
- Julia Kingsford Head of Marketing, Foyles
- Anna Lewis Chief Operating Officer, CompletelyNovel.com
- Rachael Ogden Managing Director, Inpress
- Mark Searle Publisher, Elliot & Thompson
- Gavin Weale Managing Director, Live Futures [Overall winner]
The finalists took a trip to India to gain insight into the Indian publishing industry.
The UKYPE 09 finalists were:
- Davy Nougarede Founder, Heavy Entertainment [Overall winner]
- James Bridle BookTwo
- Peter Collingridge Apt Studios
- Jessica Purdue Orion
- Lucy Luck Lucy Luck Literary Agency
- Nii Ayikwei Parkes Co-Founder, flipped eye publishing