||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2009)|
GRID-Arendal is a centre collaborating with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), located in Arendal, Norway. The office was established in 1989 by the Norwegian Government to support the UN in the field of environment. It is part of the GRID network of environmental data and information centers, under the UNEP Division of early warning and assessment.
GRID-Arendal supports informed decision making and awareness-raising through environmental information management and assessment, capacity building services, outreach and communication tools, methodologies and products.
The mission of GRID-Arendal is to create environmental knowledge enabling positive change. This is achieved by organizing and transforming available environmental data into credible, science-based information products, delivered through innovative communication tools and capacity-building services targeting relevant stakeholders.
GRID-Arendal’s vision is a society that understands and values the environment on which it depends.
The Global Resource Information Database (GRID) was established in 1985 in the framework of Earthwatch to provide timely and usable environmental data to the world community of researchers and policy makers. GRID centers also supports the developing countries through training programs and transfer of the technologies pertinent to the geographic information system and remote sensing.
- Arendal, Norway
- Bangkok, Thailand - UNEP Environment Assessment Programme for Asia and the Pacific (EAPAP)
- Budapest, Hungary - Department for Environmental Information Systems
- Christchurch, New Zealand - University of Canterbury
- Geneva, Switzerland - Geneva Executive Centre (GEC)
- ICIMOD at UNEP
- Kathmandu, Nepal - International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD)
- Moscow, Russia
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Ottawa, Canada - Canada Centre for Remote Sensing
- San Jose dos Campos, Brazil - Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espacias (INPE)
- Sioux Falls, USA - EROS Data Center
- Tbilisi, Georgia
- Warsaw, Poland - Environmental Information Centre
The GRID-Arendal web site provides access to an extensive collection of useful maps, including topographic maps of many countries by region. GRID-Arendal encourages users to include links to country maps in their documents, although re-printing of high-resolution maps requires agreement (a link to the agreement form is given on the web site).
|This article about an environmental agency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|