|Public limited company|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: LBTYA
NASDAQ-100 Components (LBTYA and LBTYK)
|Founded||Douglas County, Colorado, United States (2005)|
|Headquarters||London, England, UK|
|John C. Malone (Chairman)
Michael Fries (President and CEO)
|Products||Broadband internet, cable television, telephony, mobile, direct-broadcast satellite|
|Revenue||US$ 18.248 billion (2014)|
|US$ 2.228 billion (2014)|
|Total assets||US$ 72.841 billion (2014)|
|Total equity||US$ 14.116 billion (2014)|
Number of employees
|35,000 (December 31, 2013)|
Liberty Global plc is an international telecommunications and television company. It was formed in 2005 by the merger of the international arm of Liberty Media and UGC (UnitedGlobalCom), and is one of the largest broadband internet service providers outside of the United States.
Since 2013, Liberty Global is the world's largest international cable company, with operations in 14 countries, and 35,000 employees. As of 31 December 2013, it had an annual revenue of $17.3 billion. Its cable services pass 47 million homes, with 24.5 million customers or 48.3 million RGUs (video, internet, and voice subscribers)
Liberty Global is headquartered in London, with offices in Amsterdam and in Douglas County, Colorado.
On 7 June 2013, Liberty Global completed the acquisition of British cable group Virgin Media for $24 billion. In January 2013, Liberty Global raised its stake in Mechelen, Belgium-based Telenet from 50.2% to 58%. Liberty agreed on 28 October to sell Chellomedia for $1.035 billion except for its Benelux unit to AMC Networks.
On 27 January 2014, Liberty Global announced it would be acquiring Dutch cable company Ziggo for €10 billion. The acquisition was completed in November 2014, when the services of UPC Nederland began to be merged into the new business.
Horizon TV is today Liberty Global's flagship platform with more than 10 million first-generation Horizon TV devices sold.
The first-generation Horizon TV is a cross-platform media platform and DVB-S2 Dual Tuner high-definition DVR/PVR set-top-box, (with the Linux for embedded systems hardware manufactured by Samsung as model "SMT-G7400"), which uses XBMC Media Center software as its main graphical user interface on-top a hidden proprietary middle-ware framework for video on demand and handling DRM for streaming multimedia. It was first announced in September 2012, and it is also available from Dutch cable operation UPC Netherlands under the brand name "UPC Horizon TV".
The second-generation Horizon TV platform is however no longer based on XBMC, as the second-generation Horizon TV instead uses technology from RDK and other vendors. In some deployments for low end devices there has also been some use of ActiveVideo's CloudTV platform.
Liberty Global serves 12 countries in Europe, and is the largest cable operator in United Kingdom, Poland, Switzerland, Belgium, Ireland, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary and Czech Republic. On 5 February 2013 it was announced that Liberty Global was to buy Virgin Media, which would make it the largest broadband company in the world.
- UPC Broadband
- Unitymedia KabelBW (Germany)
- Virgin Media (United Kingdom)
- Telenet (Belgium) (58% ownership)
- Ziggo (Netherlands)
- UPC DTH
- UPC Direct (Hungary)
- freeSAT (Czech Republic and Slovakia)
- Focus Sat (Romania)
- All3Media (50% ownership with Discovery Communications)
- Film1 and Sport1 (Netherlands)
- ITV plc (United Kingdom) (6.4% shareholding)
Liberty Global's operations in the Americas consists of Liberty Puerto Rico, a provider of pay TV, internet, and telephone services in Puerto Rico and VTR, a Chilean cable provider of television, telephone, mobile and internet services.
- "Liberty Global Reports Fiscal 2014 Results". Liberty Global. 13 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "Form 10-K". Liberty Global. 2013. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "About Us". Liberty Global. Retrieved 2014-02-13.
- Tartaglione, Nancy. (28 October 2013) AMC Networks To Pay $1B For Liberty Global’s Chellomedia. Deadline.com. Accessed on 28 October 2013.
- Briel, Robert (2014-01-27). "Liberty Global to acquire Ziggo for €10bn". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Clover, Julian (17 July 2014). "Liberty Global makes £481m investment in ITV". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=tv_n_video&classification1=set-top_box Samsung Opensource Release Center TV & Video Set-top Box SMT-G7400
- http://www.libertyglobal.com/PDF/horizon/Horizon-TV-FINAL.pdf Liberty Global Launches Horizon TV
- http://www.digitaltveurope.net/102442/liberty-global-outlines-horizon-upgrade-plans-future-vision-and-lessons/ Liberty Global outlines Horizon upgrade plans, future vision and lessons
- http://www.digitaltveurope.net/99942/liberty-partners-with-activevideo-for-horizon/ Liberty partners with ActiveVideo for Horizon
- "Liberty Global to buy Virgin Media for $23.3bn". BBC News. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2013.