The UPS Store
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2012)|
|Industry||Retail and Franchising|
|Founded||1980 as Mail Boxes Etc.
2003 as The UPS Store
|Headquarters||San Diego, California, U.S.|
|United States and Canada|
|Services||Packing, Shipping, Postal, Printing and Business Services|
The UPS Store network is the world's largest franchisor of retail shipping, postal, printing and business service centers. Today, there are nearly 4,700 independently owned The UPS Store locations in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada. The UPS Store, Inc., franchiser of The UPS Store brand, is a wholly owned subsidiary of United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS). As of August 2014 internal company web pages place the number of open UPS Stores to about 4300.
The Mail Boxes Etc. concept was introduced in 1980 as an alternative to the post office. In 2001, UPS acquired Mail Boxes Etc., Inc. The two companies introduced The UPS Store brand in 2003, and approximately 3,000 locations were re-branded. In the year following the re-branding, Mail Boxes Etc., Inc. sold more than 500 new The UPS Store franchise locations in the United States. The UPS Store franchise locations remain locally owned and operated. In 2012, Mail Boxes Etc., Inc. changed its name to The UPS Store, Inc.
Products and Returns
The UPS Store franchises offer consumers and small businesses a wide range of products and services in a single location, including domestic and international shipping, packaging, printing, mailbox services, postal services, moving supplies and other business services.
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2013)|
The UPS Store has a wide range of document-related services, including:
- Digital Printing and Copying – Full-color to black-and-white, digital printing and copying options are available. The UPS Store can produce customized, original documents, including marketing and training materials, flyers, newsletters, posters, banners and more.
- Document Finishing – The UPS Store can offer binding, laminating, folding, padding, collating, cutting and drilling.
- Custom Printing – The UPS Store franchise locations sell custom printing for both personal and business printing needs, including stationery, business cards, labels, forms, rubber stamps.
Mailbox and postal services
The UPS Store offers customers a mailbox solution that includes a real street address and, at most locations, 24-hour access to mail and package deliveries. Additional mailbox services include mail forwarding, fax receiving and package acceptance from all shipping carriers. The mailbox is different from PO Boxes as the suite number gives you a valid street address which allows you to receive parcels from couriers.
Corporate Retail Solutions
Corporate Retail Solutions (CRS) is a program designed to foster long-term relationships between The UPS Store franchise locations and enterprise clients. This program provides clients viable business solutions that allow them to improve their operations and enhance the customer service experience.
The UPS Store has more than 4,300 independently owned locations within the United States and abroad. The UPS Store franchise locations offer business services to small-office/home-office (SOHO) marketing, corporate offices and consumers.
In addition to traditional locations in shopping centers and commercial complexes, The UPS Store locations can be found on college campuses, military bases, convention centers, hotels and urban renewal areas/empowerment zones.
Based on the location and size, the total initial investment cost for a new The UPS Store center ranges from $150,196 to $371,022. The UPS Store requires that all prospective franchisees be able to verify a minimum of $60,000 to $100,000 in liquid assets, but meeting this requirement does not guarantee the awarding of a franchise.
The UPS Store provides financial incentives to qualifying U.S. military veterans, including $10,000 off the franchise fee of a new The UPS Store location and 75% off the initial application fee (applied toward the total franchise fee).
The UPS Store has been named the No. 1 postal and business services franchise for 22 consecutive years by Entrepreneur Magazine in their annual “Franchise 500.” USA Today and G.I. Jobs named The UPS Store franchise opportunity in the 50 Top Franchises for Military Veterans. The UPS Store franchise network was named American Brand Excellence Award Winner in the Retail category by City Business Journals.
- "Entrepreneur Magazine". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "The Franchise Mall". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Franchise Direct". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Franchise Solutions". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "The UPS Store and U.S. Postal Service Team up to Promote Small Business". 22 September 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Entrepreneurs getting work done at shipping sites". Chicago Sun-Times. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Will bank branches wither away?". USA Today. 16 November 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Franchise Key". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Internet Franchises". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Stoughton City Guide". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Insurance of Insurance". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- Carmichael, Evan. "Evan Carmichael". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Franchise Solutions". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "International Franchise Association". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "My Fran Connect". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Franchise.com". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Franchise.com - Investment, Training, Support". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Franchise Direct - Financials". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "TheUPSStore.com". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "UPS Store Makes $22.5 Million Available for Franchisee Loans". Bloomberg. 14 February 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Military Veterans Prepare for a New Role". Wall Street Journal. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "50 Top Franchises for Military Veterans" (PDF). Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "American Brand Excellence Award". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- Military Veterans Prepare for a New Role
- Entrepreneur Magazine Franchise 500
- Toys for Tots Literacy Program
- The UPS Store locations