UP Diliman Department of Computer Science
|UP Diliman Department of Computer Science|
|Chairperson||Cedric Angelo Festin, Ph.D.|
|Location||UP Alumni Engineers Centennial Hall, Velasquez St., UP Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines|
- 1 Academic Programs
- 2 History
- 3 Research Groups
- 4 Department chairs
- 5 Java Competency Center
- 6 UP CS Network (UP Alliance of Computer Science Organizations)
- 7 Images
- 8 Official websites
- 9 References
The Department of Computer Science administers the four-year Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Program and the Master of Science in Computer Science program. As of AY 2009-2010, the Department has 553 undergraduate and 89 graduate students mentored by 27 faculty members, 7 of whom are PhD degree holders.
The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program is designed to equip the student with knowledge of the fundamental concepts and a reasonable mastery of the basic tools and techniques in computer science. The undergraduate program incorporates the core material, which is universally accepted as common to Computer Science undergraduate programs (computer programming, computer organization, computer systems, data structures and algorithms, file processing, and programming languages). Underpinning the software orientation of the program are the subjects on database systems, software engineering, artificial intelligence, computer networks and special problems (primarily, software projects).
The Master of Science in Computer Science program is administered also by the CS Department. The program aims to provide the student with both breadth and depth of knowledge in the concepts and techniques related to the design, programming, and application of computing systems.
The Department of Computer Science is the youngest department of the College. Its beginnings could be traced in the mid 1970s with the insititution of the Master of Engineering in Computer Science (Mengg CS) program. This was jointly administered by three departments: the Department of Engineering Sciences (ES) and the Department of Electrical Engineering (EE) of the College, and the Department of Mathematics, of the College of Science. Led by the Department of Engineering Sciences, the Mengg CS program continued in the early 1980s until it was replaced by the Bachelor in Computer Science (B CS) program.
In August 1980, the Department of Engineering Sciences became the Department of Engineering and Computer Sciences (ECS). In 1991, it was split into the Department of Engineering Sciences, and the Department of Computer Science (CS). The new Department of Computer Science continued to administer the B CS program, which was later renamed Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. In 1995, the Master of Science in Computer Science (MS CS) graduate program was approved.
Algorithms and Complexity Laboratory
- The Algorithms and Complexity Laboratory (ACL) was co-founded by Henry Adorna Ph.D. and Jaime DL Caro, Ph.D.
- Research areas: Models of Computation and Complexity (automata and formal language theory and applications, Natural computing, bioinformatics, riceInformatics, formal models for e-voting), Algorithmics, Designs and Implementations (visualization and implementations, algorithmics for hard problems, algorithmic game theory, scheduling problem), Combinatorial Networks, Information Technology in Education.
Computer Security Group
- The Computer Security Group (CSG) was founded by Susan Pancho-Festin, Ph.D.
- Research areas: cryptographic algorithms, message protocols, and coding techniques to enhance enterprise and mobile applications.
Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence Group
- The Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence Group (CVMIG), the first formally organized research group of the Department was founded by Prospero Naval Jr., Ph.D.
- Research areas: computation intelligence principles in biological, physical, and social systems; Projects include machines that understand the deaf, programs that assist medical doctors in diagnosing poison and infections and robots playing football.
Networks and Distributed Systems Group
- The Networks and Distributed Systems Group (NDSG) was founded by Cedric Angelo Festin, Ph.D.
- Research areas: fixed and mobile network protocols for more efficient and effective message exchanges. NDSG is closely affiliated with the Computer Networks Laboratory of the Electrical and Electronics Engineering Institute (EEEI).
Scientific Computing Laboratory
- The Scientific Computing Laboratory (SCL) was co-founded by Vena Pearl Bongolan, Ph.D. and Adrian Roy Valdez, Ph.D.
- Research areas: Computational Science, which involves construction of mathematical models and numerical solution techniques and the use of computers to analyze and solve scientific, social scientific and engineering problems.
Web Science Group
- The Web Science Group (WSG) was founded by Rommel Feria, MS.
- Prof. Evangel P. Quiwa, October 1991 - October 1995
- Prof. Ma. Veronica M. Tayag, November 1995 - April 1999
- Dr. Mark J. Encarnacion, May 1996 - March 2000
- Dr. Jaime D.L. Caro, April 2000 - September 2002
- Dr. Ronald Tuñgol, October 2002 - May 2005
- Dr. Cedric Angelo M. Festin, June 2005 - May 2008
- Dr. Jaime D.L. Caro, June 2008 - March 2011
- Dr. Adrian Roy L. Valdez, March 2011 – May 2013
- Dr. Cedric Angelo M. Festin, June 2013 - present
Java Competency Center
The UP-Mirant Java Education Center and the UP Java Research and Development Center compose the UP Java Competency Center and is part of the ASEAN Java Competency Programme. The UP Java Competency Center is a partnership of the University of the Philippines, Ayala Foundation, Mirant Foundation and Sun Microsystems.
UP CS Network (UP Alliance of Computer Science Organizations)
The UP CS Network is the first student organization alliance of its kind in the UP Diliman College of Engineering. The Network is composed of one socio-academic organization (UP CURSOR), two academic organizations (UP ACM and UnPLUG), two department service arms (UP Parser and DCS SA), one college service arm (UP Engineering Webteam), one volunteer corps (UP DCSS) and one university service arm (CRS).
The first full active school year of existence of the CS Network (AY 2005-06) culminated in the Department of Computer Science being adjudged the College's Best Department for the year by the Engineering Student Council (see related external link).
- Association for Computing Machinery - UP Student Chapter (UP ACM),
- Computerized Registration System (CRS)
- The UP Parser (Official Student Publication of the DCS)
- UP Association of Computer Science Majors (UP CURSOR)
- UP Engineering Webteam
- UP Linux Users' Group (UnPLUG)
- UP Dedicated Computer Science Students (UP DCSS)
- DCS Student Assistants (DCS SA)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to UP Diliman Department of Computer Science.|
- UP Department of Computer Science
- UP College of Engineering
- University of the Philippines - Diliman
- University of the Philippines