UP Pep Squad
|UP Pep Squad|
|Based in||University of the Philippines Diliman|
Maroon Green White Black
|Championships||21 (8 UAAP, 9 PNG, 1 NCC, 1 Fil Oil Flying V, 1 Puspusan sa Busan, 1 CAIO Regulation division)|
The University of the Philippines Varsity Pep Squad, more popularly known as the UP Pep Squad or simply UP Pep, was formed in 1994. Beginning as a group of 5 UP basketball fans known as the "Hecklers", the squad eventually became the official cheerleading and cheerdance team of the University of the Philippines. The squad performs at the halftime of the basketball games of the UP Fighting Maroons in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines and represents the University in the UAAP Cheerdance Competition, where they were the champions for eight years (1999, 2000, 2001, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012).
The group holds Elevate: Lift One Another Up, an annual dance concert and cheerdance competition in the University. The squad also performs at different university events and functions.
Several members of the squad have represented the country in the 2002 Asian Games in Busan, South Korea and 2008 Cheerleading Asia International Open in Tokyo, Japan.In 2009, an all-UP Pep Squad team represented the Philippines for the 3rd Cheerleading Asia International Open in Tokyo, Japan where they placed third overall in the international category and first in the regulation category. In 2011, the squad earned the right to represent the country in the 6th Cheerleading World Championships held on November 26–27, 2011 in Hong Kong when they dominated the 1st Philippine National Games by capturing three of the four gold medals at stake. They bagged the third place in the Cheer Mixed category. In 2013, the team once again represented the Philippines in the 2013 Cheerleading Asia International Open Championships in Tokyo, Japan. They won second place in the Partner Stunts category and third place in the Group Stunts Division. They also represented the Philippines in the 7th Cheerleading World Championships in Bangkok, Thailand last November 23-24, 2013. The squad was able to snatch two podium finishes; third place in Group Stunts category and another third place finish in the Cheer Mixed category.
The squad have been featured in ABS-CBN's 2008 summer station ID.
- Coach - Prof. Lalaine Rosenda Juarez-Pereña (1998 to present)
- Assistant Coaches - Niño Jose Antonio, Pio Niño Opinaldo & Suyin Chua
- Team Captain - Frances Audrey Muñoz
- Co-Captain - Christian Gorgonia
- Head Drummer - Cathryn Marie Trinidad
- Assistant Head Drummer - Herbert Gerard Villafranca
- Team Captain - Leanne Gaudence Melegrito
- Co-Captains - Bien Joseph Insigne & Noelynne Jane Figueroa
- Head Drummer - John Anthony Sayson
- Assistant Head Drummer - Christine Marie Pagador
- Team Captains - Beatrice Isabel Segundo & Irish Adrienne Planes
- Co-Captain - Kiko Cortez
- Head Drummer - Zandro Cubillas
- Assistant Head Drummer - David Jess Ecal
- Team Captain - Kathleen Anne Madrigal
- Co-Captain - Laurence Martin Bautista
- Head Drummer - Juan Rodrigo Barredo
- Assistant Head Drummer - Jonnel Nagpacan
- Team Captain - Angela Ray Abarquez (1st semester); Frances Michelle Marie Fleta (2nd semester)
- Co-Captain - Richbert Patrick Asuncion
- Head Drummer - Karen Gay Colot
- Assistant Head Drummer - Rae Mark Zantua
- Team Captain - Anna Francesca Cruz
- Co-Captains - Jens Audric Mempin & John Paul Belarmino
- Head Drummer - Miguel Mondragon
- Co-Head Drummer - Miguel Giron
- Team Captain - Maria Angelica Sison
- Co-Captain - Reynald Dionillo
- Head Drummer - Jahan Elgar Castro
- Team Captain - Andrea Kristela Gonzales
- Co-Captain - Pio Niño Opinaldo
- Head Drummer - Carlo Benjamin Tañada
- Team Captain - Clarissa Clarete
- Head Drummer - Gerson Marvin Abesamis
- Captain - Suyin Chua & Brent Viray
- Head Drummer - Raphael Paolo Arguillo
- Team Captain - Suyin Chua
- Junior Captain - Brent Viray
- Head Drummer - Alric Mondragon
- Team Captain - Melissa Garcia
- Co-Captain - Niño Jose Antonio
- Head Drummer - Laurice dela Cruz
- Team Captain - Paula dela Llana
- Head Drummer - Laurice dela Cruz
- Co-Head Drummer - Ida Marie Bunuan
- Team Captain - Amity Casurao
- Head Drummer - Voltaire Henry Vitug II
- Team Captain - Rosie Pajela
- Head Drummer - Niño Jose Antonio
No Team Captain and Head Drummer for this year
- Team Captain - Michelle Corpuz
- Head Drummer - Mark Boniface Villegas
The UP Pep Squad has been known for introducing Filipino cheers in the UAAP.
- Unibersidad (ng Pilipinas)
- Unibersidad (Tribal)
- Unibersidad Fiesta
- UP Fight
- Let's Go UP
- Go Fight
- Hold Up
- Shout and Cheer
- Stand Up
- We Are UP
- Heto Na
- Laban Pilipinas
- Iskolar ng Bayan
- Hala Bira!
- UP Paparty!
- GMANews.TV (2007-09-17), "UP Pep Squad is 2007 UAAP cheerdance champion", GMA News. Retrieved on 28 July 2013.
- Jasmine W. Payo (2008-09-08), "UP back-to-back cheer-dance champion", Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved on 28 July 2013.
- RCJ/HS, GMANews.TV (2010-09-12), "UP Pep Squad rules UAAP cheerdance tilt", GMA News. Retrieved on 28 July 2013.
- Markku Seguerra & Hana Grace Belo (2011), "PHOTO GALLERY: The UP Pep Squad goes back to blonde", Interaksyon. Retrieved on 28 July 2013.
- Chris Lagunzad (2012-09-22), "UP Pep Squad scores cheerdance three-peat", Yahoo! News. Retrieved on 28 July 2013.
- Encarnita Deveraturda (2009-06-16), "College Pep Squad competes in the 3rd Cheerleading Asia International Open Championships in Tokyo, Japan", St. Scholastica's College. Retrieved on 28 July 2013.
- ABS-CBNNews.com (2011-11-28), "PH places 3rd in world cheerleading tilt", ABS-CBNNews.com. Retrieved on 28 July 2013.
- Gian C. Geronimo/VVP, GMA News (2013-05-22), "UP Pep Squad reaps awards in intl cheerleading fest in Japan", GMA News. Retrieved on 28 July 2013.
- The Philippine Star (2013-06-28), "UP pep squad rules PSC Games with 4 golds", The Philippine Star. Retrieved on 28 July 2013.