Aids to Navigation Boat
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
The United States Coast Guard maintains roughly 145 Aids to Navigation Boats. These boats were designed primarily to serve within the inland waters of the United States. These vessels include TANB/BUSL/ANB/ANB ranging from 16 to 55 feet in length.
Most Aids to Navigation Boats of the United States Coast Guard are stationed with Aids to Navigation Teams (ANT). These are teams of Boatswain's mates, Machinery Technicians, and non-rated personnel that service small buoys, jetty lights and light houses.
- 55' Aids to Navigation Boat (ANB) Equipped with a crane that is used for hoisting and securing the various buoys and aids to navigation that the Coast Guard supplies for waterways. The boat is 55 feet long to the transom, and 58 feet 9 inches to the end of the swim platform. It is 25 feet tall unfixed and has a navigational draft of 8 feet. The 55' ANB goes approximately 25 knots when at full speed. The 55' ANB is often employed to service offshore aids as well.
- 49' Buoy Utility Stern Loading (BUSL): LOA-49'2 1/4", BEAM- 16'10", Highest Fixed Point -15', Highest Unfixed- 27', Hoisting Capacity 71,690LBS, DRAFT-5'6"
- 26' Trailerable Aids to Navigation Boat (TANB): LOA: 29 feet 7 inches, Beam: 8 feet, Draft: 2 feet 4 inches, Engines: Twin 150 HP 4-cycle outboard motors, Cruise Speed: 30 KTS at 4,800 RPM, Range: 170 NM at 4,800 RPM, Hosting Capacity (SWL): 500 Pounds
- 20' Aids to Navigation Boat - Small (AB-S): LOA 21', Beam 8' 6", Draft 16", Fuel Cap 70 gal, Weight 2,700 lbs, Max HP 250.
- 24' Cutterboat - Aids to Navigation - Large (CB-ATON-L): LOA 23', Beam 8', Draft 20", Fuel Cap 80 gal, Weight 3,500 lbs, Max HP 300.
- 18' Cutterboat - Aids to Navigation - Medium (CB-ATON-M): LOA 18', Beam 7' 6", Draft 14", Fuel 40 gal, Weight 2,500 lbs, Max HP 250. Originally designated the Aids to Navigation Boat - Punt (AB-PNT) is used by Construction Tenders to transport equipment to a construction site and also used at small boat stations for emergency response to floods or areas where a shallow water response is necessary.
- 16' Aids to Navigation Boat – Skiff (AB-SKF): LOA 16', Beam 6'10", Draft 6", Fuel 12 gal, Weight 800 lbs, HP 60. The AB-SKF is deployed from Coast Guard cutters (ships) or Aids to Navigation Teams in support of mission activities primarily in support of aid to navigation servicing, construction, repair and discrepancy response.
The AB-SKF and CB-ATON-M were apparently procured to replace the UTL (Utility Boat Light), which was a variety of non-standard small boat types.
- USDHS, USCG, COMDTINST M16114.4B
- USDHS, USCG, Boat Management Manual: COMDTINST M16114.4B