USS California (SSN-781)
California pierside at Naval Submarine Base New London in January 2012.
|Namesake:||The state of California|
|Awarded:||14 August 2003|
|Builder:||Huntington Ingalls Industries - Newport News Shipbuilding|
|Laid down:||1 May 2009|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Donna Willard|
|Christened:||6 November 2010|
|Launched:||14 November 2010|
|Commissioned:||29 October 2011|
|Motto:||Silentium Est Aureum
("Silence Is Golden")
|Status:||in active service, as of 2013[update]|
|Class & type:||Virginia-class submarine|
|Displacement:||7800 tons light, 7900 tons full|
|Length:||114.9 meters (377 feet)|
|Beam:||10.3 meters (34 feet)|
|Speed:||greater than 25 knots (46 km/h)|
|Range:||Essentially unlimited distance; 33 years|
|Test depth:||greater than 800 feet (250 meters) |
|Complement:||134 officers and men|
USS California (SSN-781), is the eighth Virginia-class submarine, and the eighth United States Navy ship named for the state of California. The contract to build her was awarded to Newport News Shipbuilding (then called Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.) in Newport News, Virginia, on 14 August 2003. Construction began in December 2006. California's keel was laid down on 1 May 2009. She was christened on 6 November 2010, sponsored by Donna Willard, wife of Admiral Robert F. Willard. She was launched eight days later, on 14 November 2010.
California is the first Virginia-class submarine built with the advanced electromagnetic signature reduction system; although it will be retrofitted into older submarines of the class.
California was delivered to the Navy on 7 August 2011, eight and a half months ahead of schedule.
- US Navy homeport
- "PCU California (SSN 781)". Naval Submarine Forces. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "Newest Virginia-Class Submarine Christened as Navy Launches Education Event in California". Northrop Grumman and Submarine Group 2 Public Affairs. 6 November 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "Photo Release -- Northrop Grumman Launches Eighth Virginia-Class Submarine, California (SSN 781)" (Press release). Northrop Grumman News. 14 November 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- GAO-09-326SP Assessments of Major Weapon Programs, page 146
- "Submarine California Delivered More Than Eight and a Half Months Ahead of Schedule" (Press release). Huntington Ingalls Industries, Inc. 8 August 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- Vergakis, Brock (29 October 2011). "Navy commissions nuclear submarine USS California". Associated Press (AP). Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entry can be found here.
Media related to USS California (SSN-781) at Wikimedia Commons
- Mohl, Michael (2010). "California (SSN-781)". Submarine Photo Archive. NavSource Naval History. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "California (SSN 781) Christening". Northrop Grumman. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "California (SNN 781) Commissioning". US Navy. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
|This submarine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|