USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93)
|Namesake:||Gordon Pai'ea Chung-Hoon|
|Awarded:||6 March 1998|
|Laid down:||14 January 2002|
|Launched:||15 December 2002|
|Sponsored by:||Michelle Punana Chung-Hoon|
|Acquired:||22 March 2004|
|Commissioned:||18 September 2004|
|Motto:||Imua e na Koa Kai – Go Forward Sea Warriors|
|Status:||in active service, as of 2013[update]|
|Class & type:||Arleigh Burke-class destroyer|
|Length:||509 ft 6 in (155.30 m)|
|Beam:||66 ft (20 m)|
|Draft:||31 ft (9.4 m)|
|Propulsion:||4 × General Electric LM2500-30 gas turbines, 2 shafts, 100,000 shp (75 MW)|
|Speed:||30 kn (56 km/h)|
|Complement:||380 officers and enlisted|
USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93) is an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer serving in the United States Navy. Chung-Hoon was named in honor of Rear Admiral Gordon Pai'ea Chung-Hoon (1910–1979), recipient of the Navy Cross and the Silver Star.
The contract to build her was awarded to Northrop Grumman Ship Systems on 6 March 1998, and her keel was laid down on 14 January 2002, at Ingalls Shipbuilding, Incorporated. She was launched on 11 January 2003, sponsored by Michelle Punana Chung-Hoon of Honolulu, Hawaii, Chung-Hoon's niece, and commissioned on 18 September 2004.
In October 2005, while operating 360 miles northeast of Kahului, Chung-Hoon responded to a distress call from the bulk freighter C-Laurel. Chung-Hoon provided emergency medical care until the ship was within range of Coast Guard aircraft.
In September 2006, Chung-Hoon served as host ship to the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy's Luhu class destroyer Qingdao during Qingdao's visit to Pearl Harbor. The two ships conducted communications and mobility exercises on 10 September 2006. According to Xinhua News Agency, it was the first such exercise by USN and PLAN ships.
In 2010, the ship assisted the Philippine Navy in the Sulu Sea in operations against Islamic militants. After returning to Pearl Harbor, the ship redeployed to the western Pacific beginning on 1 June 2011.
- USS Chung-Hoon Goes on Duty, Honolulu Advertiser, 19 September 2004.
- Pearl Harbor Ship Aids Crewmember from Panamanian Ship.
- USS Chung-Hoon tends to injured crewman on freighter. 14 October 2005.
- Chinese naval ships visiting isles. Gregg K. Kakesako. Honolulu Star – Bulletin. Honolulu, Hawaii: 6 Sep 2006. Vol. 11, Iss. 249
- Chinese, US navy conduct telecommunications, mobility exercise in Pacific. Xinhua news agency, BBC Monitoring Asia Pacific. London: 12 Sep 2006. pg. 1
- Navy News. 20 Jan. 2009.
- Obama Calls for Improved Military Dialogue Between U.S. and China, After Naval Confrontation. Fox News. 12 March 2009
- Associated Press, "Destroyer Chung-Hoon deploys to Western Pacific", Military Times, 1 June 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93)|