USS Hawaii (SSN-776)
USS Hawaii entering Pearl Harbor during her change of home port.
|Namesake:||US state of Hawaii|
|Ordered:||30 September 1998|
|Builder:||General Dynamics Electric Boat|
|Laid down:||27 August 2004|
|Launched:||17 June 2006|
|Commissioned:||5 May 2007|
|Homeport:||Pearl Harbor, Hawaii|
("Defending the Land")
|Status:||in active service, as of 2014[update]|
|Class & type:||Virginia-class submarine|
|Displacement:||7800 tons light, 7800 tons full|
|Length:||114.9 meters (377 feet)|
|Beam:||10.3 meters (34 feet)|
|Speed:||25 knots (46 km/h)|
|Range:||Essentially unlimited distance; 33 years|
|Test depth:||greater than 800 feet (250 meters)|
|Complement:||134 officers and men|
|Armament:||12 VLS tubes, four 21 inch (530 mm) torpedo tubes for Mk-48 torpedoes|
USS Hawaii (SSN-776), a Virginia-class submarine, is the first commissioned warship of the United States Navy to be named for the 50th state. (A previous large cruiser, or battlecruiser USS Hawaii (CB-3) was launched, but never commissioned, and was named after the Territory of Hawaii in any case.) The contract to build her was awarded to the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation in Groton, Connecticut on 30 September 1998 and her keel was laid down on 27 August 2004. She was christened on 17 June 2006 by her sponsor, Governor Linda Lingle of Hawaii. Electric Boat delivered Hawaii to the US Navy on 22 December 2006, ahead of schedule. She was commissioned on 5 May 2007 with Captain David A. Solms in command. In August 2007, Commander Edward Herrington assumed command. In July 2009, she changed home port from Groton, CT (Submarine Group Two, Submarine Squadron Two) to Pearl Harbor, HI (Submarine Squadron One).
- 21 Aug 2007 Cmdr. Edward L. Herrington relieved Capt. David A. Solms as the commanding officer.
- Jan 2008 Maiden deployment.
- May 2008 Post Shakedown Availability.
- 4 Dec 2008 US Navy announces USS Hawaii will be home ported at Pearl Harbor in 2009.
- 8 May 2009 - US Navy announces the ship has earned the U.S. Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Commendation for their work in disrupting drug trafficking from 20 February to 17 April 2008.
- 10 July 2009 - The sub transits the Panama Canal en route to its new post at Pearl Harbor.
- 23 July 2009 - The sub reaches Pearl Harbor.
- 30 March–May 5, 2010- The sub receives a $2.5 million refit in a drydock in Pearl Harbor.
- Aug 2010 - The boat leaves for her first Western Pacific cruise, under temporarily assignment to Seventh Fleet, making her the first Virginia-class submarine to enter the Western Pacific.
- Feb 2011 - The boat returns from her first Western Pacific cruise.
- Cmdr Owen Travis May 2003 - Jun 2005
- Cmdr David Solms Jun 2005 - May 2007
- Cmdr David Solms May 2007 - Aug 2007
- Cmdr Ed Herrington Aug 2007 - Jan 2010
- Cmdr Stephen Mack Jan 2010 – Mar 2013
- Cmdr William A. Patterson Mar 2013 – Present
- Commissioning book USS HAWAII (SSN 776), US Navy, 5 May 2007
- Electric Boat Corporation's News
- Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class (SW) Ira J. Elinson (5 May 2007). "Navy Commissions USS Hawaii". U.S. Navy. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- USS Hawaii (SSN 776) Arrival Ceremony, 16 July 2009
- The USS Hawaii
- The USS Hawaii
- US Navy press release, Virginia-Class Sub Bound for Pearl Harbor, 5 Dec 2008. Retrieved on 13 Dec 2008
- Lt. Patrick Evans (8 May 2009). "USS Hawaii Earns Commendation for Disrupting Drug Traffic". U.S. Navy. Retrieved 2009-05-09.
- Kakesako, Gregg K., "USS Hawaii Nearing New Pearl Harbor Home", Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 11 July 2009.
- Associated Press, "Sub Hawaii arrives at Pearl Harbor homeport", Military Times, 23 July 2009.
- Kakesako, Gregg K., "Navy Completes Challenging Retrofit Of Sub", Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 6 May 2010.
- COMSUBPAC Public Affairs, "USS Hawaii Departs for Western Pacific Deployment", 25 Aug, 2010.
- Submarine USS Hawaii first of its class to enter Western Pacific
- COMSUBPAC Public Affairs, "USS Hawaii Returns from Western Pacific Deployment", 24 Feb 2011.
- Electric Boat Corporation's News Jan 2004, Hawaii PCO Readies Ship, Crew For Eventual Sea Duty, Page 9
- Lt. James Stockman (25 August 2007). "Hawaii Holds Change of Command". U.S. Navy. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- MCC Josh Thompson (7 January 2010). "Mack relieves Herrington as commanding officer of USS Hawaii". U.S. Navy. Retrieved 2010-01-22.
- MCC2 Steven Khor (3 March 2013). "USS Hawaii Holds Change of Command". U.S. Navy. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register and various press releases.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Hawaii (SSN-776).|
- US Navy page for USS Hawaii
- USS Hawaii steams into Pearl
- Sub Bearing Our State's Name Arrives Thursday
- Arrival of USS Hawaii heralds new era in Pacific
- More about the USS Hawaii
- USS Hawaii departs for Western Pacific