U.S. Cellular Coliseum
The building nearing completion in 2005.
|Location||101 South Madison Street
Bloomington, Illinois 60701
|Owner||City of Bloomington|
|Operator||Central Illinois Arena Management, LLC|
|Capacity||Hockey & Indoor Football: 7,000
Concerts : 8,000
|Broke ground||August 19, 2004|
|Opened||April 1, 2006|
|Construction cost||$37 million
($43.3 million in 2015 dollars)
|Architect||BBB Architects, Ltd.|
|Structural engineer||Halcrow Yolles|
|Services engineer||The Mitchell Partnership Inc.|
|General contractor||Johnston Contractors Inc.|
|Bloomington Thunder (USHL) (2014–)
Bloomington Edge (XLIF) (2006–)
Bloomington Blaze (CHL) (2011–2013)
Bloomington PrairieThunder (UHL/IHL/CHL) (2006–2011)
Central Illinois Drive/Bloomington Flex (PBL) (2012–2014)
U.S. Cellular Coliseum is an arena in downtown Bloomington, Illinois that opened to the public on April 1, 2006. It is on the southwest corner of Madison Street (US-51) and Front Street. It hosts the Bloomington Edge of X-Lrague Indoor Football and the Bloomington Thunder of the United States Hockey League.
The arena's seating capacity is approximately 7,000 for hockey and indoor football games and 8,000 for concerts. The arena also has a basketball floor and a sand volleyball floor.
Attached to the arena is the Pepsi Ice Center, which is a public ice rink run by Bloomington Parks & Rec. The center features open skating, as well as lessons and hockey leagues. It is also the home of the State Farm Holiday Classic, one of the largest, coed high school holiday basketball tournament in the nation, featuring 64 varsity teams participating throughout Bloomington-Normal.
The arena has 800 club seats, 24 luxury suites, and 2 party suites.
Other venues with similar names
U.S. Cellular, a wireless telephone company, has sponsored several sports venues:
- U.S. Cellular Arena - an indoor sports arena in Milwaukee
- U.S. Cellular Center - an indoor sports arena in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- U.S. Cellular Field - home of the Chicago White Sox
- U.S. Cellular Field at the Resch Center - Home of the Green Bay Blizzard of the IFL
- U.S. Cellular Community Park, a multi-field, multi-sport athletic complex in Medford, Oregon
- Guetersloh, M.K. (August 19, 2004). "Ground Broken for Arena. Construction Expected to Take 18 Months". The Pantagraph (Bloomington). Retrieved September 23, 2011.
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2014. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Outfield Seats Will Be Ready Ahead Of Schedule For Cardinals
- "Ferdo Simov". Entuitive, Ltd. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- US Cellular Coliseum - The Mitchell Partnership
- Johnson Contractors - US Cellular Coliseum
- Pepsi Ice Center