U.S. Route 321
|Auxiliary route of US 21|
|Length:||526 mi (847 km)|
|Existed:||1931 – present|
|South end:||US 17 in Hardeeville, SC|
| I-26 in Cayce, SC
I-20 in Columbia, SC
I-85 in Gastonia, NC
I-40 in Hickory, NC
I-26 / US-19W / US-23 in Johnson City, TN
I-40 in Newport, TN
I-75 in Lenoir City, TN
|North end:||I-40 / SR-73 / SR-95 near Lenoir City, TN|
U.S. Route 321 is a spur of U.S. Route 21. It runs for 526 miles (847 km) from South Carolina to Tennessee. The northern terminus of U.S. 321 is between Lenoir City and Oak Ridge, Tennessee, at Interstate 40 exit 364, which is about 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Interstate 40's junction with Interstate 75. The southern terminus is in Hardeeville, South Carolina at the intersection with U.S. Route 17, less than a mile away from Interstate 95 and 15 miles (24 km) north of Savannah, Georgia.
- 1 Route description
- 2 History
- 3 Future
- 4 Junction list
- 5 Bannered routes
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
U.S. 321 provides direct access between Savannah and Columbia, serving as an alternate to Interstate 95 and Interstate 26. Starting in Hardeeville, U.S. 321 as a mostly 2 lane highway goes through sparsely populated areas and small towns including Estill, Fairfax, and Denmark, heading in a rather straight and northward direction into the Columbia area, widening to a 5 lane highway right after Neeses, then narrowing down to a 2 lane highway right after the town of North and widening to a 5 lane highway again after Swansea and staying that way until it merges with its parent route U.S. 21 in Dixiana. In Columbia, the route stays concurrent with U.S. 21 through Cayce, over the Congaree River on the Blossom Street Bridge, turning left onto Huger Street, right onto Elmwood Avenue, and left onto North Main Street. The roads separate at Hyatt Park, with U.S. 321 staying west of Interstate 77 and U.S. 21 north of Columbia. The route goes through to communities of Winnsboro, Chester, York, and Clover before entering North Carolina at Bowling Green.
U.S. 321 is an important route in Western North Carolina. It provides an alternative north–south route to Interstate 77, which passes through a busy metropolitan area, and US 221, which is more twisty drive up the Appalachians. Travelers from South Carolina who are going to points west of Charlotte and want to avoid the traffic of I-77 may choose to enter the state on U.S. 321.
The highway traverses through seven counties: Gaston, Lincoln, Catawba, Burke, Caldwell, Watauga, and Avery. U.S. 321 has six control cities: Gastonia, Lincolnton, Hickory, Lenoir, Blowing Rock, and Boone.
U.S. 321 is a multilane highway beginning at the state line. After 7 miles (11 km), it enters the Gastonia area. Traffic on northbound 321 through Gastonia is generally not as heavy as traffic on southbound 321 north of Interstate 85, where it may back up for a couple of miles as drivers wait to turn onto I-85.
The road becomes a freeway at C. Grier Beam Boulevard in Gastonia, just south of NC 275/NC 279. It remains a freeway until just north of its junction with US 70 in Hickory. The freeway bypasses a number of cities that mainline U.S. 321 once passed through. Today, U.S. 321 Business follows the original 38 miles (61 km) route, that serves Maiden, Newton, and Conover; but the freeway is a more direct route to the mountains, and the business route is generally used by local traffic only.
Traffic is usually heavy between Hickory and Lenoir. The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) has a long-term plan to widen the road to six lanes, which is estimated to be completed by 2015. However, the project will probably take considerally longer. The first stage of the project (NCDOT project B-4450), replacing the bridge over the Catawba River, was previously estimated to be completed by 2011. However, the NCDOT project page shows that right-of-way acquisition will not begin until 2012.
North of Lenoir, U.S. 321 is a four-lane divided highway. Currently the highway becomes a two-lane road again in northern Caldwell County. NCDOT project R-2237 will widen the road the four lanes through Blowing Rock. The widening of U.S. 321 through Blowing Rock has been a controversial project. Many residents of the town feel that a four-lane highway will destroy the character of the small town, and they proposed several bypass alternatives. NCDOT has selected the widening as its preferred alternative, but added several features such as underground utilities, sidewalks, landscaping, and rock walls to make the widening more palatable to the residents who are opposed to it. These features are not present on the two-lane highway that is being replaced.
North of Blowing Rock, U.S. 321 is already a four-lane highway up to King Street in Boone; thus, R-2237 will make 321 a four-lane highway from the South Carolina state line to downtown Boone. Currently, U.S. 321 meets US 421 at King Street and overlaps it over King Street to leave town to the west. NCDOT project R-2615 is proposed to widen the U.S. 321/421 concurrency from this junction to their junction near Vilas, although this project is currently unfunded. There is a feasibility study (FS-0511A) in progress to examine the possibility of widening U.S. 321 from the junction near Vilas to the Tennessee state line. If both of these projects were completed, then U.S. 321 would be a four-lane highway through the entire state.
U.S. 321 "changes direction" in Elizabethton: the road is designated as southbound in both directions driving away from its intersection with US 19E. It is conterminous with US 11E through portions of Washington and Greene counties. In Greeneville, the highway continues south into Cocke County, crossing I-40 at Newport. The stretch of US 321 from Newport south to Cosby and southwest through Pittman Center to Gatlinburg parallels the northern boundary of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and is quite scenic. From a point between Newport and Cosby to the intersection with the Little River Road, it is concurrent with TN 73. In Pigeon Forge, concurrent with U.S. Route 441/Great Smoky Mountains Parkway, US 321 is a divided, multi-lane traffic-laden thoroughfare where it serves as the city's main route, lined with hotels, outlet malls and amusement facilities. Veering southwest of Pigeon Forge, the highway takes on a more rural character, and narrows down to 2 lanes as it traverses Wears Valley until its junction with Tennessee State Route 73/337 (the Little River Road) at the Townsend entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is concurrent with Tennessee 73 from this junction to its terminus. With the exception of a 3-mile (4.8 km) section between Townsend and Maryville, the remaining portions of the highway through Blount County are a minimum of 4 lanes and usually a divided highway until it reaches Fort Loudon Dam in Loudon County where it crosses the Tennessee River at just south of Lenoir City, and has a wrong-way concurrency with Tennessee State Route 95 from a point several miles south of Lenoir City to its terminus at I-40.
Current plans call for a new bridge crossing over Fort Loudoun Lake and Fort Loudoun Dam along with widening of 1.4 miles (2.3 km) of related highway, with construction underway. Though sections of the highway are already four-laned, remaining portions through Loudon County will also be widened as part of the project, meaning the highway would be a four-lane semi-divided thoroughfare from Interstate 40 and Interstate 75 to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, except for the 3-mile (4.8 km) stretch near Walland, TN.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2013)|
In addition to the widening project, there have also been talks of a freeway-to-freeway connection with Interstate 85 in Gastonia that would greatly relieve traffic flowing through the junction. Currently, U.S. 321 is a surface road while passing through the interchange, but shortly becomes a freeway north of there. However, in order to extend the freeway to I-85, the few remaining at-grade intersections and traffic lights would have to be eliminated. An interchange is planned for the proposed Garden Parkway, which would terminate at the freeway section of U.S. 321 near Dallas.
- Mileposts reset at state line crossings.
|Jasper||Hardeeville||0||I-95 / US 17 (Whyte Hardee Boulevard)||US 321 begins|
|0.5||SC 46 (Church Road)||To Millstone Landing|
|Tillman||12.5||SC 336 (Tillman Road) – Ridgeland|
|Tarboro||20||US 601 north (Cypress Branch Road) – Hampton|
|Robertville||22.5||SC 462 (Gillson Branch Road) – Pineland|
|Hampton||Garnett||25.5||SC 119 south (Clyo Road) – Clyo|
|Scotia||30.5||SC 333 (Scotia-Furman Highway) – Furman|
|Estill||35.7||SC 3 south (Third Street) – Lena||South end of SC 3 overlap|
|36||SC 3 north (Nixville Road) – Barnwell||North end of SC 3 overlap|
|Luray||40||SC 363 east (Luray Highway) – Hampton, Lake Warren State Park|
|Allendale||Fairfax||50||US 278 (Allendale-Hampton Highway) – Allendale, Hampton|
|Sycamore||55.5||SC 641 (Confederate Highway) – Allendale|
|Ulmer||60||US 301 south (Burton's Ferry Highway) – Allendale||South end of US 301 overlap|
|Bamberg||62||US 301 north (Main Highway) – Bamberg||North end of US 301 overlap|
|Olar||66||SC 64 (Low Country Road) – Barnwell|
|Denmark||76.5||SC 70 south (Hagood Street) – Barnwell||South end of SC 70 overlap|
|77||US 78 (Heritage Highway) – Bamberg, Blackville|
|77.5||SC 70 north (Country Club Road) – Orangeburg||North end of SC 70 overlap|
|Orangeburg||Norway||85||SC 332 east (Cope Road) – Cope||East end of SC 332 overlap|
|85.5||SC 332 west / SC 400 east (Norway Road) – Springfield, Orangeburg||West end of SC 332 overlap|
|Neeses||91||SC 4 (Neeses Highway) – Springfield, Orangeburg|
|85.5||SC 389 west (Ninety Six Road) – Perry, Wagener|
|North||97||US 178 (North Highway) – Pelion, Orangeburg|
|Lexington||Swansea||105||SC 3 south (Whetstone Road) – Springfield, Blackville, Barnwell|
|106||SC 692 south (Fifth Street) – Orangeburg||To Swansea High Football Stadium|
|106.5||SC 6 (Second/First Streets) – Lexington, St. Matthews||Brief SC 6 overlap|
|118||US 21 south / US 176 east (Charleston Highway) – Orangeburg||South end of US 21 overlap, east end of US 176 overlap|
|Cayce||120||To I-77 (Fish Hatchery Road) – Charlotte|
|121||I-26 – Charleston, Spartanburg|
|122||SC 2 north (Frink Road)|
|West Columbia||123||SC 302 south (Airport Boulevard) – Aiken, Columbia Metropolitan Airport|
|125||SC 2 (State Street)|
|Richland||Columbia||126||US 1 / US 378 (Gervais Street)||To South Carolina State House|
|127||SC 12 (Hampton/Tylor Streets)||To Finlay Park and Columbia Museum of Art|
|128||I-126 west / US 76 west – Greenville, Spartanburg||West end of US 76 overlap|
|128.5||US 76 east (Elmwood Avenue)||East end of US 76 overlap|
|129||US 176 west (River Drive)||West end of US 176 overlap|
|129.5||SC 16 (Sunset Drive)|
|130||SC 215 north (Montichello Road)||To Columbia International University|
|131||US 21 north (Main Street)||North end of US 21 overlap, Columbia College at intersection|
|132||I-20 – Florence, Augusta|
|Fairfield||151||SC 269 south (Hinnants Store Road) – Fairfield County Airport|
|Winnsboro Mills||152||SC 34 east||East end of SC 34 overlap, to South Carolina Railroad Museum|
US 321 Bus. north (Columbia Road) / SC 213 west (Monjicono Road) – Monticello
|Winnsboro||156||SC 34 west (Newberry Road) / SC 200 east – Salem Crossroads, Newberry|
US 321 Bus. south (Congress Street)
|Chester||Chester||179||SC 97 south (Great Falls Road) – Great Falls, Camden||South end of SC 97 overlap|
US 321 Bus. north (Columbia Road)
SC 9 / SC 72 / SC 97 / SC 121 (J.A. Cochran Bypass)
|South end of SC 9 overlap, north end of SC 72/121/97 overlap|
|181||SC 72 (West End Road) / SC 121 – Whitmire||South end of SC 72/121 overlap|
SC 9 Bus south (Pinckney Street)
|182.5||SC 9 north (Pinckney Street) – Lockhart||North end of SC 9 overlap|
US 321 Bus. south / SC 97 (Center Road) – Hickory Grove
|Lowrys||190||SC 909 south (Old York Road) – Lewis|
|York||McConnells||194||SC 322 (Church Street/McConnells Highway) – Rock Hill, Brattonsville||Brief SC 322 overlap|
US 321 Bus. (Congress Street)
|204||SC 49 (Sharon Road) – Sharon, Union|
SC 5 Bus / SC 161 Bus south (Liberty Street) – Blacksburg
|South end of SC 161 Business overlap|
US 321 Bus. (Kings Mountain Street)
|206.5||SC 5 / SC 161 south (Alexander Love Highway) – Blacksburg||South end of SC 161 overlap, north end of SC 161 Business overlap|
|Filbert||208||SC 161 north – Bethany||North end of SC 161 overlap|
|Clover||213||SC 55 (north) – Lake Wylie, Blacksburg|
|8||US 29 / US 74 (Franklin Boulevard)|
|9||NC 7 (Long Avenue)|
|10||I-85 – Spartanburg, Charlotte|
|Dallas||12||Grier Beem Boulevard – Gaston College|
US 321 Bus. north / NC 275 / NC 279 (Dallas-Cherryville Highway) – Cherryville
US 321 Bus. (Gastonia Highway) – High Shoals, Lincolnton
|Lincolnton||24||24||NC 27 / NC 150 (Main Street) – Lincolnton|
US 321 Bus. (Maiden Highway) – Maiden
|37||37||NC 10 – Newton|
|42||42||NC 127 (Brookford Boulevard)|
|Hickory||43||43||I-40 – Statesville, Asheville||Signed as 43A (East) and 43B (West)|
US 70 / US 321 Bus. south to NC 127 (Conover Boulevard) – Hickory
|46||Clement Boulevard – Hickory Regional Airport|
|Caldwell||49||US 321A north|
|57||Southwest Boulevard – Morganton|
|Lenoir||60||US 321A south|
|61||US 64 / NC 18 / NC 90 west – Wilkesboro||West end of NC 90 overlap|
|63||NC 90 east (Main Street) – Collettsville||East end of NC 90 overlap|
|67||NC 268 east – Fort Defiance|
US 321 Bus. north (Main Street)
US 221 south / US 321 Bus. south
|South end of US 221 overlap|
|92||Blue Ridge Parkway||Nearby the Moses H. Cone Memorial Park and the Parkway Craft Center|
|Boone||88||US 221 north / NC 105 – Linville, Banner Elk, Newland||North end of US 221 overlap|
|89||US 421 south / NC 194 north (King Street)||South end of US 421 overlap, north end of NC 194 overlap|
|Vilas||94||NC 194 south – Valle Crucis||South end of NC 194 overlap|
|Sugar Grove||95||US 421 north – Mountain City||North end of US 421 overlap|
|Carter||12.5||SR-67 east – Mountain City||East end of SR 67 overlap|
|Hampton||22||US-19E south – Roan Mountain||South end of US 19E overlap|
|Elizabethton||27||US-19E north / SR-91 east – Bluff City||North end of US 19E overlap, east end of SR 91 overlap
US 321 northbound end/US 321 southbound begin
|28||SR-400 south – Piney Flats|
|31||SR-91 west / SR-362||West end of SR 91 overlap|
|Milligan College||32||SR-359 – Milligan College|
|Washington||Johnson City||35||Legion Street/Milligan Highway|
|36||I-26 / US-19W / US-23 – Erwin, Kingsport|
|36.5||SR-67 / SR-381 (Cherokee Road)||West end of SR 67 overlap, south end of SR 381 overlap|
|39.5||US-11E south (Market Street) / SR-381 north (State of Franklin Road)||North end of US 11E overlap, north end of SR 381 overlap|
|Jonesborough||44||SR-354 (Boones Creek Road)|
|54||SR-75 north (Opie Arnold Road)|
|Greene||58||SR-351 – Chuckey|
|Tusculum||62.5||SR-107 east (Erwin Highway)|
US-11E Bus. south (Tusculum Boulevard)
|67||US-11E south / SR-93 north||South end of US 11E overlap|
US-11E Bus. (Tusculum Boulevard/Summer Street)
|Brief US 11E Business overlap|
|68.5||SR-350 south (McKee Street)|
|69.5||SR-70 (Asheville Highway)|
|71||SR-349 west (Warrensburg Road)|
|Cocke||Parrottsville||87.5||SR-340 south – Del Rio||South end of SR 340 overlap|
|87.8||SR-340 north – Warrensburg||North end of SR 340 overlap|
|92||SR-160 north – Bybee|
|Newport||94||US-25 south / US-70 east (Broadway Street)||South end of US 25 overlap, east end of US 70 overlap|
|94.5||US-25 south / US-70 east (Broadway Street) / SR-32||North end of US 25 overlap, west end of US 70 overlap, north end of SR 32 overlap|
|96||I-40 – Knoxville, Asheville|
|102||SR-73 north (Wilton Springs Road)|
|106||SR-339 west (Jones Cove Road)|
|Cosby||108||SR-32 south||South end of SR 32 overlap|
|Sevier||Pittman Center||120||SR-416 north|
|Gatlinburg||126||US-441 south – Great Smoky Mountains National Park||South end of US 441 overlap|
|Pigeon Forge||135||US-441 north – Sevierville||North end of US 441 overlap|
|Blount||Townsend||150||SR-73 east (Lamar Alexander Parkway) – Great Smoky Mountains National Park|
|Maryville||168||US-441 (Broadway Avenue)|
|169||US-129 – Knoxville|
|171.5||SR-335 north (Old Glory Road)|
|172||SR-335 south (William Blount Drive)|
|Friendsville||177||SR-333 north (Main Avenue)|
|Loudon||182||SR-95 south (Lenoir City Road)|
|185||SR-444 west (Tellico Parkway) – Tellico Village|
|Lenoir City||187||US-11 (Broadway Street) – Knoxville, Loudon|
|190||I-75 – Knoxville, Chattanooga|
|Pine Top||191||US-70 (Kingston Pike) – Knoxville, Kingston|
|195||I-40 / SR-95 north – Knoxville, Nashville||US 321 ends|
- Some counties along the route have no junctions to list, so they are not included. In Tennessee, state routes overlap all U.S. routes within the state, in most cases hidden (with the only clue being the mile markers); these hidden routes were not included in the junction list. Only signage visibly labeled on the roadways were used in the junction list.
Winnsboro business loop
U.S. Route 321 Business
|Location:||Winnsboro, South Carolina|
|Length:||4.2 mi (6.8 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established around 1951 or 1952, when mainline US 321 was rerouted west, bypassing Winnsboro. US 321 Bus traverses through Winnsboro Mills, via Columbia Road, and downtown Winnsboro, via Congress Street.
Chester business loop
U.S. Route 321 Business
|Location:||Chester, South Carolina|
|Length:||3.7 mi (6.0 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established between 1962-1964, when mainline US 321 was rerouted west, bypassing Chester. US 321 Bus traverses through downtown Chester, via Columbia Street and Center Road.
York business loop
U.S. Route 321 Business
|Location:||York, South Carolina|
|Length:||2.5 mi (4.0 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established around 1957-1958, when mainline US 321 was rerouted west, bypassing York. US 321 Bus traverses through downtown York, via Congress Street and Kings Mountain Street.
Dallas–Hickory business loop
U.S. Route 321 Business
|Length:||37.2 mi (59.9 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established in June, 1999, as a renumbering all of NC 155 and part of mainline US 321 in Catawba County. Traversing 37.2 miles (59.9 km) through Gaston, Lincoln and Catawba counties, it connects the cities and towns of Dallas, High Shoals, Lincolnton, Maiden, Newton, Conover and Hickory. The highway follows the original US 321 routing through that existed prior to 1991.
Lincolnton alternate route
U.S. Route 321A
|Location:||Lincolnton, North Carolina|
|Length:||3.4 mi (5.5 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Alternate (US 321A) was established 1956 when mainline US 321 was placed on new bypass east of downtown Lincolnton. It traversed along Aspen Street and around the Lincoln County Civil Court on Court Square Drive. In 1960 it was decommissioned, with Aspen Street becoming secondary roads.
Granite Falls–Lenoir alternate route
U.S. Route 321A
|Location:||Granite Falls–Lenoir, NC|
|Length:||11.8 mi (19.0 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Alternate (US 321A) was established 1948 as a number swap with US 321 through downtown Lenoir. In 1957, US 321A was extended south, replacing mainline US 321 through Hudson and Granite Falls, ending at its current southern terminus north of the Catawba River. In June, 1964, US 321A was placed on one-way splits through downtown Lenoir; northbound continued along Mulberry Street and West Avenue, southbound rerouted along Main Street and College Avenue. In September, 2006, US 321A was rerouted to its current northern terminus, just south of downtown Lenoir, via McLean Drive. Its old alignment through downtown Lenoir was carried on by NC 90 until 2012, when it too was rerouted; the old alignment is now under city control.
Traversing through Granite Falls, Sawmills, Hudson and part of Lenoir, US 321A has not changed much over the years. Predominantly a two-lane highway, it parallels a short line railroad and connects to several factories.
Lenoir alternate route
U.S. Route 321A
|Location:||Lenoir, North Carolina|
|Length:||5.9 mi (9.5 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Alternate (US 321A) was established 1941 as a new alternate route bypassing Lenoir. In 1948, it was replaced by mainline US 321.
Blowing Rock business loop
U.S. Route 321 Business
|Location:||Blowing Rock, North Carolina|
|Length:||2.0 mi (3.2 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established 1960 as an upgrade to secondary roads through downtown Blowing Rock; which were originally part of mainline US 321 until about 1954, when it was moved onto a new bypass east. The highway traverses along Main Street and shares a concurrency with US 221 for 0.8 miles (1.3 km) on its northern section.
Boone truck route
U.S. Route 321 Truck
|Location:||Boone, North Carolina|
|Length:||4.0 mi (6.4 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Truck (US 321 Truck) redirects truckers traveling through the area to go south and around downtown Boone, via NC 105 and NC Highway 105 Bypass (SR-1107). The shares some overlap with US 221 Truck and complete overlap with US 421 Truck.
- "NCDOT: TIP".
- "NCDOT: TIP".
- "NCDOT: US 321 Improvements, Blowing Rock". Retrieved 2010-10-22.
- "NCDOT: TIP".
- "The US 321 Directional Change". Retrieved 2010-10-22.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 321 Business - Winnsboro, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321BUS+S&daddr=34.379378,-81.0860539+to:US-321BUS+N&hl=en&ll=34.376241,-81.077299&spn=0.061702,0.111494&sll=34.397137,-81.080475&sspn=0.061686,0.111494&geocode=FcsXDAIdcrIq-w%3BFXKWDAIdm7kq-ym_-hyBSBdWiDG19RxNCfAUhQ%3BFd_2DAIdkXwq-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 321 Business - Chester, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=SC-97+Business+N%2FUS-321BUS+S%2FColumbia+Rd&daddr=SC-97+N%2FSC-97+Business+N%2FUS-321BUS+S%2FCenter+Rd&hl=en&ll=34.709797,-81.198063&spn=0.061455,0.111494&sll=34.732064,-81.237003&sspn=0.00384,0.006968&geocode=FVBYEQIdugAp-w%3BFeT5EQIdNWIo-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 321 Business - York, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321+Bypass+N&daddr=34.9995659,-81.2391874+to:Kings+Mountain+St&hl=en&ll=34.997308,-81.226988&spn=0.061241,0.111494&sll=35.000683,-81.234241&sspn=0.030619,0.055747&geocode=FUvKFQIdhUUo-w%3BFQ0NFgIdbWMo-ylD6_ig7_NWiDH5SvXdKska-g%3BFahHFgIdsUIo-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 321 Business - Dallas-Hickory, North Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W+Trade+St&daddr=35.383145,-81.2097839+to:35.4496258,-81.2407278+to:35.4859072,-81.2435056+to:35.617174,-81.216005+to:35.695288,-81.237315+to:US-321Bus+N%2FUS-70+W&hl=en&ll=35.536138,-81.100388&spn=0.486675,0.891953&sll=35.442351,-81.223812&sspn=0.121811,0.222988&geocode=FYfhGgIdty4p-w%3BFWnnGwIdSdYo-ylJT_NmU8ZWiDEtaJtRFQloeA%3BFRnrHAIdaV0o-ym_pnoBxshWiDHmUbtIjAvj0A%3BFdN4HQIdj1Io-yl7FMwAN8lWiDGKvxo4DxyssQ%3BFZZ5HwId-70o-ymPDI9k5zRRiDGde-B7UMxTbg%3BFbiqIAIdvWoo-ylRtOKRvDZRiDHLYCSsUFMMGQ%3BFSoUIQIdCJom-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5&t=p&z=11. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "US 321 Route Change (1999-06-25)" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. June 25, 1999. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 321A - Lincolnton, North Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321Bus+N%2FS+Aspen+St&daddr=N+Aspen+St&hl=en&ll=35.472973,-81.224155&spn=0.060883,0.111494&sll=35.493198,-81.247866&sspn=0.007346,0.004774&geocode=FUn3HAIdFlIo-w%3BFX-ZHQId9kUo-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 321A - Granite Falls-Lenoir, North Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321Alt+N%2FS+Main+St&daddr=35.8467155,-81.4944551+to:McLean+Dr+SW&hl=en&ll=35.837577,-81.423454&spn=0.24242,0.445976&sll=35.856083,-81.490488&sspn=0.060591,0.111494&geocode=FSftIQIdXAAm-w%3BFTv6IgIdSX4k-ylld6O3bCdRiDGIxg-L6FDnYw%3BFZ_FIwIdxBAk-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&t=p&z=12. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "US 321A Route Change (1964-06-04)" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. June 4, 1964. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "US 321A Route Change (2006-09-07)" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. September 7, 2006. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Correction to Caldwell County Route" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. December 11, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 321A - Lenoir, North Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321+S%2FBlowing+Rock+Blvd&daddr=US-321Alt&hl=en&ll=35.919918,-81.518726&spn=0.121084,0.222988&sll=35.892892,-81.522267&sspn=0.015141,0.027874&geocode=FYqxJAIdeWwj-w%3BFc2lIwIdwAck-w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=16&t=p&z=13. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 321 Business - Blowing Rock, North Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Main+St&daddr=Main+St&hl=en&ll=36.129903,-81.667857&spn=0.030191,0.055747&sll=36.137095,-81.670464&sspn=0.007547,0.013937&geocode=FaorJwIdW8sh-w%3BFf5zJwIdJtIh-w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&t=p&z=15. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 321 Truck - Boone, North Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-221+N%2FUS-321+N&daddr=NC+Highway+105+Bypass&hl=en&ll=36.213394,-81.692362&spn=0.060317,0.111494&sll=36.229681,-81.72071&sspn=0.001885,0.003484&geocode=FSN0KAIdNNIh-w%3BFQXVKAIdCAsh-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "U.S. 321 widening to take longer than estimated" by Andrew Mackie, Hickory Daily Record, March 14, 2006
- Media related to U.S. Route 321 at Wikimedia Commons
- Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: U.S. Route 321
- NCRoads.com: U.S. Route 321
- NCRoads.com: U.S. Route 321-A
- NCRoads.com: U.S. Route 321 Business