U.S. Route 321
|Auxiliary route of US 21|
|Length:||516.9 mi (831.9 km)|
|Existed:||1931 – present|
|South end:||US 17 in Hardeeville, SC|
|North end:||I-40 / SR 73 / SR 95 near Lenoir City, TN|
U.S. Route 321 is a spur of U.S. Route 21. It runs for 516.9 miles (831.9 km) from South Carolina to Tennessee. With its northern terminus located in Elizabethton, Tennessee, it has two southern terminus at Hardeeville, South Carolina and Lenoir City, Tennessee. The highway serves different roles in each state: An alternate route to interstates in South Carolina, a major highway in North Carolina, and a scenic route in Tennessee.
- 1 Route description
- 2 History
- 3 Future
- 4 Junction list
- 5 Bannered routes
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
U.S. 321 provides direct access between Savannah and Columbia, serving as an alternate to Interstate 95 and Interstate 26. Starting in Hardeeville, U.S. 321 as a mostly 2 lane highway goes through sparsely populated areas and small towns including Estill, Fairfax, and Denmark, heading in a rather straight and northward direction into the Columbia area, widening to a 5 lane highway right after Neeses, then narrowing down to a 2 lane highway right after the town of North and widening to a 5 lane highway again after Swansea and staying that way until it merges with its parent route U.S. 21 in Dixiana. In Columbia, the route stays concurrent with U.S. 21 through Cayce, over the Congaree River on the Blossom Street Bridge, turning left onto Huger Street, right onto Elmwood Avenue, and left onto North Main Street. The roads separate at Hyatt Park, with U.S. 321 staying west of Interstate 77 and U.S. 21 north of Columbia. The route goes through to communities of Winnsboro, Chester, York, and Clover before entering North Carolina at Bowling Green.
U.S. 321 is an important route in Western North Carolina. It provides an alternative north–south route to Interstate 77, which passes through a busy metropolitan area, and US 221, which is more twisty drive up the Appalachians. Travelers from South Carolina who are going to points west of Charlotte and want to avoid the traffic of I-77 may choose to enter the state on U.S. 321.
The highway traverses through seven counties: Gaston, Lincoln, Catawba, Burke, Caldwell, Watauga, and Avery. U.S. 321 has six control cities: Gastonia, Lincolnton, Hickory, Lenoir, Blowing Rock, and Boone.
U.S. 321 is a multilane highway beginning at the state line. After 7 miles (11 km), it enters the Gastonia area. Traffic on northbound 321 through Gastonia is generally not as heavy as traffic on southbound 321 north of Interstate 85, where it may back up for a couple of miles as drivers wait to turn onto I-85.
The road becomes a freeway at C. Grier Beam Boulevard in Gastonia, just south of NC 275/NC 279. It remains a freeway until just north of its junction with US 70 in Hickory. The freeway bypasses a number of cities that mainline U.S. 321 once passed through. Today, U.S. 321 Business follows the original 38 miles (61 km) route, that serves Maiden, Newton, and Conover; but the freeway is a more direct route to the mountains, and the business route is generally used by local traffic only.
Traffic is usually heavy between Hickory and Lenoir. The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) has a long-term plan to widen the road to six lanes, which is estimated to be completed by 2015. However, the project will probably take considerally longer. The first stage of the project (NCDOT project B-4450), replacing the bridge over the Catawba River, was previously estimated to be completed by 2011. However, the NCDOT project page shows that right-of-way acquisition will not begin until 2012.
North of Lenoir, U.S. 321 is a four-lane divided highway. Currently the highway becomes a two-lane road again in northern Caldwell County. NCDOT project R-2237 will widen the road the four lanes through Blowing Rock. The widening of U.S. 321 through Blowing Rock has been a controversial project. Many residents of the town feel that a four-lane highway will destroy the character of the small town, and they proposed several bypass alternatives. NCDOT has selected the widening as its preferred alternative, but added several features such as underground utilities, sidewalks, landscaping, and rock walls to make the widening more palatable to the residents who are opposed to it. These features are not present on the two-lane highway that is being replaced.
North of Blowing Rock, U.S. 321 is already a four-lane highway up to King Street in Boone; thus, R-2237 will make 321 a four-lane highway from the South Carolina state line to downtown Boone. Currently, U.S. 321 meets US 421 at King Street and overlaps it over King Street to leave town to the west. NCDOT project R-2615 is proposed to widen the U.S. 321/421 concurrency from this junction to their junction near Vilas, although this project is currently unfunded. There is a feasibility study (FS-0511A) in progress to examine the possibility of widening U.S. 321 from the junction near Vilas to the Tennessee state line. If both of these projects were completed, then U.S. 321 would be a four-lane highway through the entire state.
U.S. 321 "changes direction" in Elizabethton: the road is designated as southbound in both directions driving away from its intersection with US 19E. It is conterminous with US 11E through portions of Washington and Greene counties. In Greeneville, the highway continues south into Cocke County. At the Cocke-Greene County line US-321 becomes a four-laned divided highway and bypasses Parrottsville the route formerly was very curvy leading into Parrottsville and Newport, the four-lane section ends just before US-321's junction with TN-160 and crossing I-40 at Newport. The stretch of US 321 from Newport south to Cosby and southwest through Pittman Center to Gatlinburg parallels the northern boundary of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and is quite scenic. From a point between Newport and Cosby to the intersection with the Little River Road, it is concurrent with TN 73. In Pigeon Forge, concurrent with U.S. Route 441/Great Smoky Mountains Parkway, US 321 is a divided, multi-lane traffic-laden thoroughfare where it serves as the city's main route, lined with hotels, outlet malls and amusement facilities. Veering southwest of Pigeon Forge, the highway takes on a more rural character, and narrows down to 2 lanes as it traverses Wears Valley until its junction with TN-73 Scenic (the Little River Road) at the Townsend entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is concurrent with Tennessee 73 from this junction to its terminus. With the exception of a 3-mile (4.8 km) section between Townsend and Maryville, the remaining portions of the highway through Blount County are a minimum of 4 lanes and usually a divided highway until it reaches Fort Loudon Dam in Loudon County where it crosses the Tennessee River at just south of Lenoir City, and has a wrong-way concurrency with Tennessee State Route 95 from a point several miles south of Lenoir City to its terminus at I-40.
Current plans call for a new bridge crossing over Fort Loudoun Lake and Fort Loudoun Dam along with widening of 1.4 miles (2.3 km) of related highway, with construction underway. Though sections of the highway are already four-laned, remaining portions through Loudon County will also be widened as part of the project, meaning the highway would be a four-lane semi-divided thoroughfare from Interstate 40 and Interstate 75 to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, except for the 3-mile (4.8 km) stretch near Walland, TN.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2013)|
North Carolina Highway 17
|Location:||Propst Crossroads–Boone, NC|
|Length:||55.9 mi (90.0 km)|
North Carolina Highway 17 (NC 17) was an original state highway that traversed from Hickory to Boone, through Granite Falls, Hudson, Lenoir and Blowing Rock. In 1930, it was extended south on new primary routing to NC 113, in Propst Crossroads; also same year, US 321 was established in the state and overlapped NC 17 between Hickory and Boone. In 1934, NC 17 was decommissioned, with US 321 taking all north of Hickory and NC 96 taking all south.
North Carolina Highway 155
|Length:||29.4 mi (47.3 km)|
North Carolina Highway 155 (NC 155) was established in 1994 following the old alignment of US 321 as it was moved onto new four-lane controlled-access highway. From NC 275/NC 279, in Dallas, it traversed north through High Shoals to Lincolnton. Sharing a short concurrency with NC 150 as it bypass the downtown area of Lincolnton, it continues north meeting with main US 321, south of Maiden, continuing in concurrency through Newton and finally Conover, where it ended at US 70. In 1999, the remainder of US 321 was moved onto new freeway bypass west of Newton and Conover; at same time, NC 155 was decommissioned and absorbed into US 321 Business.
In addition to the widening project, there have also been talks of a freeway-to-freeway connection with Interstate 85 in Gastonia that would greatly relieve traffic flowing through the junction. Currently, US 321 is a surface road at the I-85 interchange, and is a limited access freeway a few hundred yards north. To extend the freeway to I-85, the remaining at-grade intersections and traffic lights would have to be eliminated. An interchange has been proposed to the Garden Parkway, which would terminate at the freeway section of US 321, bypassing the at-grade section, near Dallas.
|South Carolina||Jasper||Hardeeville||0.0||0.0||US 17 (Whyte Hardee Boulevard) – Ridgeland, Savannah|
|0.5||0.8||SC 46 east (Church Road)||To Millstone Landing|
|Tillman||12.5||20.1||SC 336 east (Tillman Road) – Ridgeland|
|Tarboro||19.8||31.9||US 601 north (Cypress Branch Road) – Hampton|
|Robertville||22.6||36.4||SC 462 (Gillson Branch Road) – Pineland|
|Hampton||Garnett||25.6||41.2||SC 119 south (Clyo Road) – Clyo, Springfield|
|Scotia||30.7||49.4||SC 333 (Scotia-Furman Highway) – Furman|
|Estill||35.8||57.6||SC 3 south (Third Street) – Lena||South end of SC 3 overlap|
|36.0||57.9||SC 3 north (Nixville Road) – Barnwell||North end of SC 3 overlap|
|40.4||65.0||SC 363 east (Luray Highway) – Hampton||To Lake Warren State Park|
|Allendale||Fairfax||49.9||80.3||US 278 (Allendale-Hampton Highway) – Allendale, Hampton|
|Sycamore||55.6||89.5||SC 641 (Confederate Highway) – Allendale|
|Ulmer||59.9||96.4||US 301 south (Burton's Ferry Highway) – Allendale||South end of US 301 overlap|
|Bamberg||61.9||99.6||US 301 north (Main Highway) – Bamberg||North end of US 301 overlap|
|Olar||66.5||107.0||SC 64 (Low Country Road) – Barnwell|
|Denmark||76.6||123.3||SC 70 south (Hagood Street) – Barnwell||South end of SC 70 overlap|
|76.9||123.8||US 78 (Heritage Highway) – Bamberg, Blackville|
|77.3||124.4||SC 70 north (Country Club Road) – Orangeburg||North end of SC 70 overlap|
|Orangeburg||Norway||85.3||137.3||SC 332 east (Cope Road) – Cope||East end of SC 332 overlap|
|85.6||137.8||SC 332 west / SC 400 east (Norway Road) – Springfield, Orangeburg||West end of SC 332 overlap|
|Neeses||90.9||146.3||SC 4 (Neeses Highway) – Springfield, Orangeburg|
|91.4||147.1||SC 389 west (Ninety Six Road) – Perry, Wagener|
|North||97.3||156.6||US 178 (North Highway) – Pelion, Orangeburg|
|Lexington||Swansea||105.1||169.1||SC 3 south (Whetstone Road) – Springfield, Blackville, Barnwell|
|105.9||170.4||SC 692 south (Fifth Street) – Orangeburg||To Swansea High Football Stadium|
|106.1||170.8||SC 6 west (Second Street) – Lexington||West end of SC 6 overlap|
|106.2||170.9||SC 6 east (First Street) – St. Matthews||East end of SC 6 overlap|
|117.7||189.4||US 21 south / US 176 east (Charleston Highway) – Orangeburg||South end of US 21 and east end of US 176 overlap|
|Cayce||120.2||193.4||To I‑77 north / Fish Hatchery Road – Charlotte|
|120.6||194.1||I‑26 – Charleston, Spartanburg|
|121.8||196.0||SC 2 north (Frink Road)|
|West Columbia||123.3||198.4||SC 302 south (Airport Boulevard) – Aiken, Columbia Metropolitan Airport|
|125.0||201.2||SC 2 (State Street)|
|Richland||Columbia||126.5||203.6||US 1 / US 378 (Gervais Street)||To South Carolina State House|
|126.8||204.1||SC 12 (Hampton/Tylor Streets)||To Finlay Park and Columbia Museum of Art|
|127.4||205.0||I‑126 west / US 76 west – Greenville, Spartanburg||West end of US 76 overlap|
|128.0||206.0||US 76 east (Elmwood Avenue)||East end of US 76 overlap|
|128.6||207.0||US 176 west (River Drive)||West end of US 176 overlap|
|129.2||207.9||SC 16 (Sunset Drive)|
|129.8||208.9||SC 215 north (Montichello Road)||To Columbia International University|
|130.8||210.5||US 21 north (Main Street)||North end of US 21 overlap; Columbia College at intersection|
|132.2||212.8||I‑20 – Florence, Augusta|
|Fairfield||151.2||243.3||SC 269 south (Hinnants Store Road)|
|Winnsboro Mills||152.4||245.3||SC 34 east – Ridgeway||East end of SC 34 overlap; to South Carolina Railroad Museum|
US 321 Bus. north (Columbia Road) / SC 213 west (Monjicono Road) – Monticello
|Winnsboro||156.1||251.2||SC 34 west (Newberry Road) / SC 200 east – Newberry, Great Falls||West end of SC 34 overlap|
US 321 Bus. south (Congress Street)
|Chester||Chester||178.8||287.8||SC 97 south (Great Falls Road) – Great Falls, Camden||South end of SC 97 overlap|
US 321 Bus. north (Columbia Road)
SC 9 south / SC 72 east / SC 97 north / SC 121 north (J.A. Cochran Bypass)
|South end of SC 9, east end of SC 72, and north end of SC 97/SC 121 overlap|
|181.2||291.6||SC 72 west / SC 121 south (West End Road) – Carlisle, Whitmire||West end of SC 72 and south end of SC 121 overlap|
SC 9 Bus. south (Pinckney Street)
|182.3||293.4||SC 9 north (Pinckney Street) – Lockhart||North end of SC 9 overlap|
US 321 Bus. south / SC 97 (Center Road) – Hickory Grove
|Lowrys||189.7||305.3||SC 909 south (Old York Road) – Lewis|
|York||McConnells||194.2||312.5||SC 322 west (Church Street)||West end of SC 322 overlap|
|194.3||312.7||SC 322 east (McConnells Highway) – Rock Hill||West end of SC 322 overlap; to Historic Brattonsville|
US 321 Bus. (Congress Street)
|203.7||327.8||SC 49 (Sharon Road) – Sharon, Union|
SC 5 Bus. / SC 161 Bus. south (Liberty Street) – Blacksburg
|South end of SC 161 Bus overlap|
US 321 Bus. (Kings Mountain Street)
|205.9||331.4||SC 5 / SC 161 south (Alexander Love Highway) – Blacksburg||South end of SC 161 and north end of SC 161 Bus overlap|
|Filbert||207.5||333.9||SC 161 north – Bethany||North end of SC 161 overlap|
|Clover||213.4||343.4||SC 55 (Kings Mountain/Bethel Streets) – Lake Wylie, Blacksburg|
|South Carolina–North Carolina state line|
|North Carolina||Gaston||Gastonia||7.3||11.7||Garrison Boulevard|
|7.9||12.7||US 29 / US 74 (Franklin Boulevard)|
|8.1||13.0||NC 7 east (Long Avenue)|
|9.4||15.1||I‑85 – Charlotte, Spartanburg|
|Dallas||9.4||15.1||Grier Beem Boulevard – Gaston College|
US 321 Bus. north / NC 275 / NC 279 (Dallas-Cherryville Highway) – Cherryville
US 321 Bus. (Gastonia Highway) – High Shoals, Lincolnton
|Signed exit 20|
|Lincolnton||23.6||38.0||NC 27 / NC 150 (Main Street) – Lincolnton||Signed exit 24|
US 321 Bus. (Maiden Highway) – Maiden
|Signed exit 28|
|Catawba||Maiden||32.3||52.0||Startown Road||Signed exit 33|
|36.2||58.3||NC 10 – Newton||Signed exit 37|
|40.1||64.5||River Road||Signed exit 41|
|Mountain View||41.4||66.6||NC 127 (Brookford Boulevard)||Signed exit 42|
|Hickory||42.3||68.1||I‑40 – Statesville, Asheville||Signed exits 43A (east) and 43B (west)|
US 70 / US 321 Bus. south to NC 127 (Conover Boulevard) – Hickory
|Signed exit 44|
|45.3||72.9||Clement Boulevard – Hickory Regional Airport|
||No major junctions|
|Caldwell||Northlakes||47.9||77.1||US 321A north – Granite Falls|
|Granite Falls||50.1||80.6||Falls Avenue – Granite Falls|
|Lenoir||56.8||91.4||Southwest Boulevard – Morganton|
|59.1||95.1||US 321A south – Hudson|
|60.1||96.7||US 64 / NC 18 / NC 90 east – Wilkesboro||East end of NC 90 overlap|
|62.3||100.3||NC 90 west (Main Street) – Collettsville||West end of NC 90 overlap|
|65.9||106.1||NC 268 east – Fort Defiance|
US 321 Bus. north (Main Street)
US 221 south / US 321 Bus. south
|South end of US 221 overlap|
|81.4||131.0||Blue Ridge Parkway||To Moses H. Cone Memorial Park and Julian Price Memorial Park|
|Boone||87.0||140.0||US 221 north / NC 105 – Linville, Banner Elk, Newland||North end of US 221 overlap|
|87.9||141.5||US 421 south / NC 194 north (King Street)||South end of US 421 and north end of NC 194 overlap|
|Vilas||93.6||150.6||NC 194 south – Valle Crucis||South end of NC 194 overlap|
|Sugar Grove||94.3||151.8||US 421 north – Mountain City||North end of US 421 overlap|
||No major junctions|
|North Carolina–Tennessee state line|
|Tennessee||Carter||12.5||20.1||SR 67 east – Mountain City||East end of SR-67 and west end of SR-159 (hidden) overlap|
|Hampton||12.5||20.1||US 19E / SR 37 south – Roan Mountain||South end of US-19E and SR-37 (hidden) overlap|
|Elizabethton||27.2||43.8||US 19E / SR 37 / SR 91 north – Bluff City||North end of US-19E/SR-37 (hidden)/SR-91 overlap
US-321 northbound end/US-321 southbound begin
|28.0||45.1||SR 400 south – Piney Flats|
|31.3||50.4||SR 91 / SR 362 south||South end of SR-91 overlap|
|Milligan College||31.9||51.3||SR 359 south – Milligan College|
|Washington||Johnson City||35.3||56.8||Legion Street/Milligan Highway|
|35.8||57.6||I-26 / US 19W / US 23 / SR 36 – Erwin, Kingsport|
|36.7||59.1||SR 67 west / SR 381 (Cherokee Road)||West end of SR-67 and south end of SR-381 overlap|
|39.5||63.6||US 11E / SR 34 north (Market Street) / SR 381 north (State of Franklin Road)||North end of US-11E/SR-34 (hidden)/SR-381 overlap|
|Jonesborough||44.3||71.3||SR 354 (Boones Creek Road)|
|54.4||87.5||SR 75 north (Opie Arnold Road)|
|Greene||58.0||93.3||SR 351 / Chuckey Pike – Chuckey|
|Tusculum||62.6||100.7||SR 107 east (Tusculum Bypass) – Erwin||East end of SR-107 (hidden) overlap|
US 11E Bus. south / SR 107 west (Tusculum Boulevard)
|West end of SR-107 (hidden) overlap|
|66.0||106.2||Snapps Ferry Road|
|67.1||108.0|| SR 93 north (Kingsport Highway) – Kingsport
US 11E / SR 34 south (Andrew Johnson Highway) – Morristown
|South end of US-11E/SR-34 (hidden) and north end of SR-35 (hidden) overlap|
US 11E Bus. north / SR 107 east (Tusculum Boulevard)
|North end of US-11E Bus and east end of SR-107 (hidden) overlap|
US 11E Bus. south / SR 350 north (Summer Street)
|South end of US-11E Bus and north end of SR-350 (hidden) overlap|
|68.5||110.2||SR 350 south (McKee Street)||South end of SR-350 (hidden) overlap|
|69.5||111.8||SR 70 / SR 107 west (Asheville Highway)||West end of SR-107 (hidden) overlap|
|71.3||114.7||SR 349 west (Warrensburg Road)|
|Cocke||Parrottsville||87.3||140.5||SR 340 – Parrottsville, Del Rio|
|91.6||147.4||SR 160 north – Bybee|
|Newport||93.7||150.8||US 25 south / US 70 / SR 9 east (Broadway Street)||South end of US-25 and east end of US-70/SR-9 (hidden) overlap|
|94.0||151.3|| US 25 north / US 70 west
SR 9 west / SR 32 north / SR 35 south
|North end of US-25 and west end of US-70 overlap
West end of SR-9 (hidden), north end of SR-32 and south end of SR-35 (hidden) overlap
|95.5||153.7||I-40 – Knoxville, Asheville|
|101.1||162.7||SR 73 north (Wilton Springs Road)||North end of SR-73 (hidden) overlap|
|106.0||170.6||SR 339 west (Jones Cove Road)|
|Cosby||108.0||173.8||SR 32 south||South end of SR-32 overlap|
|Sevier||Pittman Center||119.9||193.0||SR 416 north|
|120.8||194.4||SR 454 north|
|Gatlinburg||126.1||202.9||US 441 / SR 71 south – Great Smoky Mountains National Park||South end of US-441/SR-71 (hidden) overlap|
|127.2||204.7||Gatlinburg Parkway Bypass – Great Smoky Mountains National Park|
|Pigeon Forge||134.5||216.5||US 441 / SR 71 north – Sevierville||North end of US-441/SR-71 (hidden) overlap|
|Wears Valley||Foothills Parkway||Future interchange|
SR 73 Scenic / SR 337 east – Great Smoky Mountains National Park
|Maryville||166.7||268.3||SR 447 north (Washington Street) to US 411 north|
|167.4||269.4||SR 336 south (Montvale Road)|
|167.6||269.7||US 411 / SR 33 (Broadway Avenue) – Rockford, Madisonville|
|168.7||271.5||US 129 / SR 115 – Alcoa, Knoxville|
|171.0||275.2||SR 335 north (Old Glory Road)||North end of SR-335 overlap|
|171.6||276.2||SR 335 south (William Blount Drive)||South end of SR-335 overlap|
|Friendsville||176.1||283.4||SR 333 north (Main Avenue)|
|Loudon||181.4||291.9||SR 95 south (Lenoir City Road) – Greenback||South end of SR-95 (hidden) overlap|
|185.0||297.7||SR 444 west (Tellico Parkway) – Tellico Village|
|Lenoir City||186.8||300.6||US 11 / SR 2 (Broadway Street) – Knoxville, Loudon, Farragut|
|189.5||305.0||I-75 – Knoxville, Chattanooga|
|190.3||306.3||US 70 / SR 1 (Kingston Pike) – Knoxville, Kingston|
|194.2||312.5||I-40 / SR 95 north – Knoxville, Nashville||West end of SR-73 (hidden) and north end of SR-95 (hidden) overlap|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Winnsboro business loop
|Location:||Winnsboro, South Carolina|
|Length:||4.2 mi (6.8 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established around 1951 or 1952, when mainline US 321 was rerouted west, bypassing Winnsboro. US 321 Bus traverses through Winnsboro Mills, via Columbia Road, and downtown Winnsboro, via Congress Street.
Chester business loop
|Location:||Chester, South Carolina|
|Length:||3.7 mi (6.0 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established between 1962-1964, when mainline US 321 was rerouted west, bypassing Chester. US 321 Bus traverses through downtown Chester, via Columbia Street and Center Road.
York business loop
|Location:||York, South Carolina|
|Length:||2.5 mi (4.0 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established around 1957-1958, when mainline US 321 was rerouted west, bypassing York. US 321 Bus traverses through downtown York, via Congress Street and Kings Mountain Street.
Dallas–Hickory business loop
|Length:||37.2 mi (59.9 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established in June, 1999, as a renumbering all of NC 155 and part of mainline US 321 in Catawba County. Traversing 37.2 miles (59.9 km) through Gaston, Lincoln and Catawba counties, it connects the cities and towns of Dallas, High Shoals, Lincolnton, Maiden, Newton, Conover and Hickory. The highway follows the original US 321 routing through that existed prior to 1994.
Lincolnton alternate route
|Location:||Lincolnton, North Carolina|
|Length:||3.4 mi (5.5 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Alternate (US 321A) was established 1956 when mainline US 321 was placed on new bypass east of downtown Lincolnton. It traversed along Aspen Street and around the Lincoln County Civil Court on Court Square Drive. In 1960 it was decommissioned, with Aspen Street becoming secondary roads.
Granite Falls–Lenoir alternate route
|Location:||Granite Falls–Lenoir, NC|
|Length:||11.8 mi (19.0 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Alternate (US 321A) was established 1948 as a number swap with US 321 through downtown Lenoir. In 1957, US 321A was extended south, replacing mainline US 321 through Hudson and Granite Falls, ending at its current southern terminus north of the Catawba River. In June, 1964, US 321A was placed on one-way splits through downtown Lenoir; northbound continued along Mulberry Street and West Avenue, southbound rerouted along Main Street and College Avenue. In September, 2006, US 321A was rerouted to its current northern terminus, just south of downtown Lenoir, via McLean Drive. Its old alignment through downtown Lenoir was carried on by NC 90 until 2012, when it too was rerouted; the old alignment is now under city control.
Traversing through Granite Falls, Sawmills, Hudson and part of Lenoir, US 321A has not changed much over the years. Predominantly a two-lane highway, it parallels a short line railroad and connects to several factories.
Lenoir alternate route
|Location:||Lenoir, North Carolina|
|Length:||5.9 mi (9.5 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Alternate (US 321A) was established 1941 as a new alternate route bypassing Lenoir. In 1948, it was replaced by mainline US 321.
Blowing Rock business loop
|Location:||Blowing Rock, North Carolina|
|Length:||2.0 mi (3.2 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Business (US 321 Bus) was established 1960 as an upgrade to secondary roads through downtown Blowing Rock; which were originally part of mainline US 321 until about 1954, when it was moved onto a new bypass east. The highway traverses along Main Street and shares a concurrency with US 221 for 0.8 miles (1.3 km) on its northern section.
Boone truck route
|Location:||Boone, North Carolina|
|Length:||4.0 mi (6.4 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Truck (US 321 Truck) redirects truckers traveling through the area to go south and around downtown Boone, via NC 105 and NC Highway 105 Bypass (SR-1107). The shares some overlap with US 221 Truck and complete overlap with US 421 Truck.
Greeneville truck route
|Length:||3.6 mi (5.8 km)|
U.S. Route 321 Truck Route (US-321 Truck Route) redirects truckers traveling south on US-321 around downtown. It shares a concurrency with US-11E and TN-70. The route begins at US-11E/US-321 and ends 3.6 miles (5.8 km) later at US-321/TN-70.
|0.00||0.00||US 321 / SR 35 (West Main Street) / SR 70 south (Asheville Highway) / SR 107 (Asheville Highway / West Main Street) – Greeneville, Parrottsville, Newport, Del Rio, Asheville||Southern terminus of US-321 Truck and end SR-70 overlap|
US 11E Bus. north (West Summer Street) / SR 350 south (West Summer Street) – Downtown Greeneville
|Begin US-11E Business concurrency; Northern terminus of SR-350|
|US 11E south / SR 34 south (West Andrew Johnson Highway) / Blue Springs Parkway – Mosheim, Bulls Gap, Morristown||Southern terminus of US-11E Business; Begin US-11E/SR-34 overlap|
|SR 70 north (Lonesome Pine Trail) – Romeo, Rogersville||End SR-70 overlap|
|SR 172 north (Baileyton Road) / WhiteHouse Road – Baileyton, Airport||Southern terminus of SR-172; Interchange|
|US 11E south / US 321 (North Main Street / East Andrew Johnson Highway) / SR 34 (East Andrew Johnson Highway) / SR 35 (North Main Street) – Jonesborough, Johnson City, Newport, Downtown Greeneville||End US-321 Truck|
|SR 93 north (Kingsport Highway) – Fall Branch, Kingsport||Southern terminus of SR-93|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Google Inc. "U.S. Route 321 in South Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Deerfield+Rd&daddr=33.15141,-81.1925771+to:33.9963925,-81.0442315+to:34.085916,-81.0255667+to:34.6353403,-81.1852527+to:US-321+N&hl=en&ll=33.779147,-80.084839&spn=3.976305,7.13562&sll=34.067023,-80.985546&sspn=0.123857,0.222988&geocode=FRCd7AEdmMgq-w%3BFbLZ-QEdfxkp-ylJ1ZARFhX5iDEgin1Xp0VnZg%3BFWi-BgId-Vwr-ykDVn1MMLv4iDHpdzk6YgYHow%3BFRwcCAId4qUr-ynhPclD0aX4iDHqjmVd5__BAw%3BFUx-EAIdHDYp-ymhVq7vH0JWiDHmeBuQdWWqlA%3BFdl2GAIdNv8o-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=3&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4&t=p&z=8. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- Google Inc. "U.S. Route 321 in North Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321+N%2FYork+Hwy&daddr=36.2220457,-81.6957428+to:US-321+N&hl=en&ll=35.710838,-81.03241&spn=1.942389,3.56781&sll=36.180562,-81.574173&sspn=0.241368,0.445976&geocode=Fbt4GAIdSwAp-w%3BFV20KAIdAmwh-ynNiN6tp_BQiDG5Z_MNvyc7pw%3BFbSiKQIdx_0d-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=12&via=1&t=p&z=9. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- Google Inc. "U.S. Route 321 in Tennessee". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=TN-159+W%2FUS-321+N&daddr=36.2287533,-82.6643001+to:35.7163599,-83.5033068+to:35.7957342,-83.5918262+to:35.7380705,-84.1925955+to:TN-73+W%2FTN-73+Scenic+W%2FTN-95+N%2FUS-321+S%2FUS-321+Scenic+N&hl=en&ll=35.802222,-83.048401&spn=1.94016,3.56781&sll=36.209377,-82.53685&sspn=0.482557,0.891953&geocode=FWajKQIdJ_wd-w%3BFZHOKAIdlKQS-ykdPsWfQ1taiDG70eX35vaugg%3BFQf9IAIdNtcF-ynBOXiUdFZZiDEwDgQv-0P-MA%3BFRYzIgIdbn0E-ykDUwubff9biDGiUXanPuttnQ%3BFdZRIQIdrVL7-ik9f3qmhoFeiDE4cU95FqGE5Q%3BFUlpIwIdN1D5-g&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4&t=p&z=9. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "NCDOT: TIP".
- "NCDOT: TIP".
- "NCDOT: US 321 Improvements, Blowing Rock". Retrieved 2010-10-22.
- "NCDOT: TIP".
- "The US 321 Directional Change". Retrieved 2010-10-22.
- Google Inc. "North Carolina Highway 17". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NC-127+N&daddr=35.726668,-81.3358809+to:35.7523683,-81.3690522+to:35.7851343,-81.4163576+to:35.8124258,-81.4592721+to:35.8828436,-81.5202418+to:35.9160896,-81.5397294+to:36.1288711,-81.6793553+to:Hardin+St&hl=en&ll=35.907962,-81.316681&spn=0.958807,1.783905&sll=35.73871,-81.351786&sspn=0.030027,0.055747&geocode=FYqeHwIdlE4m-w%3BFUwlIQIduOkm-ymHuVDB1jFRiDHjvqw17bJbZw%3BFbCJIQIdJGgm-yk_C0rxuy9RiDFwvFDO1XVPvw%3BFa4JIgIdW68l-ylJwIOi9yVRiDH7bp1C5Om39A%3BFUl0IgIduAcl-yn3biJ7RiZRiDEoFJfIhNLgpg%3BFVuHIwIdjxkk-ylbvDOiVt9QiDGNfqRTXd0ZPg%3BFTkJJAIdb80j-ymFxxucDN9QiDHySCswPlzl9g%3BFWdIJwIdBawh-ymXKXs8Q-VQiDHACZApA96jDQ%3BFTmeKAIdYb4h-w&mra=mrv&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7&t=p&z=10. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- North Carolina Department of Transportation (1930) (PDF). State Highway System of North Carolina (Map). Cartography by NCDOT. http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/imgdot/DOTStateTravelMapHistoric/STM1930.pdf. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- North Carolina Department of Transportation (1940) (PDF). North Carolina Primary Highway System (Map). Cartography by NCDOT. http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/imgdot/DOTStateTravelMapHistoric/STM1940.pdf. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Google Inc. "North Carolina Highway 155". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=State+Rd+155%2FUS-321+BUS+N&daddr=35.3355501,-81.2029698+to:35.389441,-81.2094389+to:35.45703,-81.2424383+to:35.5129622,-81.2384353+to:35.6187407,-81.2185295+to:Northwest+Blvd&hl=en&ll=35.527756,-81.153946&spn=0.481698,0.891953&sll=35.69045,-81.219306&sspn=0.030045,0.055747&geocode=FTHgGgIdUiUp-w%3BFX4tGwId5_Ao-yl7lC-dK8dWiDEo_byZtAGTaA%3BFQEAHAIdotco-ykvf1sUTcZWiDF2XWBqiVUfUw%3BFQYIHQIdulYo-ylh8Cc_0MhWiDFuMhsqc2_JHA%3BFYLiHQIdXWYo-ynJIP8K48tWiDF0WhKwcWel0A%3BFbR_HwIdH7Qo-ymzf1G-5zRRiDHB55pLZcSRig%3BFd2vIAId1pco-w&mra=dme&mrsp=6&sz=15&via=1,2,3,4,5&t=p&z=11. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "Route Change (1994-10-18)" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. October 18, 1994. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "Route Change (1999-06-25)" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. June 25, 1999. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Google Inc. "US 321 Business - Winnsboro, South Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321BUS+S&daddr=34.379378,-81.0860539+to:US-321BUS+N&hl=en&ll=34.376241,-81.077299&spn=0.061702,0.111494&sll=34.397137,-81.080475&sspn=0.061686,0.111494&geocode=FcsXDAIdcrIq-w%3BFXKWDAIdm7kq-ym_-hyBSBdWiDG19RxNCfAUhQ%3BFd_2DAIdkXwq-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. "US 321 Business - Chester, South Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=SC-97+Business+N%2FUS-321BUS+S%2FColumbia+Rd&daddr=SC-97+N%2FSC-97+Business+N%2FUS-321BUS+S%2FCenter+Rd&hl=en&ll=34.709797,-81.198063&spn=0.061455,0.111494&sll=34.732064,-81.237003&sspn=0.00384,0.006968&geocode=FVBYEQIdugAp-w%3BFeT5EQIdNWIo-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. "US 321 Business - York, South Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321+Bypass+N&daddr=34.9995659,-81.2391874+to:Kings+Mountain+St&hl=en&ll=34.997308,-81.226988&spn=0.061241,0.111494&sll=35.000683,-81.234241&sspn=0.030619,0.055747&geocode=FUvKFQIdhUUo-w%3BFQ0NFgIdbWMo-ylD6_ig7_NWiDH5SvXdKska-g%3BFahHFgIdsUIo-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. "US 321 Business - Dallas-Hickory, North Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W+Trade+St&daddr=35.383145,-81.2097839+to:35.4496258,-81.2407278+to:35.4859072,-81.2435056+to:35.617174,-81.216005+to:35.695288,-81.237315+to:US-321Bus+N%2FUS-70+W&hl=en&ll=35.536138,-81.100388&spn=0.486675,0.891953&sll=35.442351,-81.223812&sspn=0.121811,0.222988&geocode=FYfhGgIdty4p-w%3BFWnnGwIdSdYo-ylJT_NmU8ZWiDEtaJtRFQloeA%3BFRnrHAIdaV0o-ym_pnoBxshWiDHmUbtIjAvj0A%3BFdN4HQIdj1Io-yl7FMwAN8lWiDGKvxo4DxyssQ%3BFZZ5HwId-70o-ymPDI9k5zRRiDGde-B7UMxTbg%3BFbiqIAIdvWoo-ylRtOKRvDZRiDHLYCSsUFMMGQ%3BFSoUIQIdCJom-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5&t=p&z=11. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. "US 321A - Lincolnton, North Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321Bus+N%2FS+Aspen+St&daddr=N+Aspen+St&hl=en&ll=35.472973,-81.224155&spn=0.060883,0.111494&sll=35.493198,-81.247866&sspn=0.007346,0.004774&geocode=FUn3HAIdFlIo-w%3BFX-ZHQId9kUo-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. "US 321A - Granite Falls-Lenoir, North Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321Alt+N%2FS+Main+St&daddr=35.8467155,-81.4944551+to:McLean+Dr+SW&hl=en&ll=35.837577,-81.423454&spn=0.24242,0.445976&sll=35.856083,-81.490488&sspn=0.060591,0.111494&geocode=FSftIQIdXAAm-w%3BFTv6IgIdSX4k-ylld6O3bCdRiDGIxg-L6FDnYw%3BFZ_FIwIdxBAk-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&t=p&z=12. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "US 321A Route Change (1964-06-04)" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. June 4, 1964. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "US 321A Route Change (2006-09-07)" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. September 7, 2006. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Correction to Caldwell County Route" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. December 11, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. "US 321A - Lenoir, North Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-321+S%2FBlowing+Rock+Blvd&daddr=US-321Alt&hl=en&ll=35.919918,-81.518726&spn=0.121084,0.222988&sll=35.892892,-81.522267&sspn=0.015141,0.027874&geocode=FYqxJAIdeWwj-w%3BFc2lIwIdwAck-w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=16&t=p&z=13. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. "US 321 Business - Blowing Rock, North Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Main+St&daddr=Main+St&hl=en&ll=36.129903,-81.667857&spn=0.030191,0.055747&sll=36.137095,-81.670464&sspn=0.007547,0.013937&geocode=FaorJwIdW8sh-w%3BFf5zJwIdJtIh-w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&t=p&z=15. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Google Inc. "US 321 Truck - Boone, North Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-221+N%2FUS-321+N&daddr=NC+Highway+105+Bypass&hl=en&ll=36.213394,-81.692362&spn=0.060317,0.111494&sll=36.229681,-81.72071&sspn=0.001885,0.003484&geocode=FSN0KAIdNNIh-w%3BFQXVKAIdCAsh-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "U.S. 321 widening to take longer than estimated" by Andrew Mackie, Hickory Daily Record, March 14, 2006
- Media related to U.S. Route 321 at Wikimedia Commons
- Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: U.S. Route 321
- NCRoads.com: U.S. Route 321
- NCRoads.com: U.S. Route 321-A
- NCRoads.com: U.S. Route 321 Business