Ubaldino Ramírez de Arellano
|Ubaldino Ramírez de Arellano|
|Member of the Puerto Rico Senate
from the district
|Member of the Puerto Rico House of Representatives|
|Born||San Germán, Puerto Rico|
|Occupation||Politician, Senator, Dentist|
Ubaldino Ramírez de Arellano Quiñones was born in San Germán, Puerto Rico. He was a dentist, congressman and he was known as the father of Basketball in San German. His parents were José Ubaldino Ramírez de Arellano Lugo and María Matilde Quiñones Quiñones. While in university he joined Phi Sigma Alpha Fraternity.
In his youth he played professional basketball. He was later the first president Liga Puertorriqueña de Baloncesto. He was a member of the Puerto Rico House of Representatives from 1945 till 1952.
In 1949 he and others such as Monseñor Mac Manus, Bishop of Ponce, and Senator Santiago R. Palmer achieved that for a dollar the church of Porta Coeli in San German be sold to the Government of Puerto Rico so that it be responsible for its safekeeping and preservation.
On March 8, 1956, he introduced Joint Resolution 3122 which allocated the funds during the 1956-57 fiscal year to cover the costs for planning and buying equipment to establish the University of Puerto Rico School of Dental Medicine. At the meeting of 24 May 1956, approved the resolution with a unanimous vote of 43 votes for and 0 against. This project was approved in the Senate of Puerto Rico without amendment on 30 May 1956. The adoption of the law occurred on 21 June 1956 with the signature of Governor Luis Muñoz Marín.
There is a basketball court in San German that bears his name Cancha Ubaldino Ramírez de Arellano, the Atléticos de San Germán used to play there. He was amongst those mentioned for the nineteen-twenties by the "Comite de Sabios" of the BSN in 2008 that named the best Basketball players of Puerto Rico by decade.
He married Angeles Poventud in Ponce Cathedral, Ponce, Puerto Rico. They had three children, Ubaldino Jose "Don Nino" Ramirez de Arellano, Angeles Ramirez de Arellano and Jose Alfredo Ramirez de Arellano.
- "Hombres y Mujeres Ilustres". Municipality of San German. Retrieved July 10, 2010.
- "Ubaldino RAMÍREZ DE ARELLANO QUIÑONES". Familias de Fajardo. Retrieved July 10, 2010.
- "Capitulo Eterno". fisigmaalfa.org. Retrieved 2008-04-27.
- Hernández, Rosario (July 20, 1993), R. de la C. 1310 (in Spanish), House of Representatives of Puerto Rico, p. 2, retrieved September 1, 2010
- "Capilla de Santo Domingo de Porta Coeli". Luis M. Iriarte R. Retrieved July 10, 2010.
- "Constitucion". Gob of Puerto Rico. Retrieved July 10, 2010.
- 2. Cámara de Representantes: R. C. De la C. 3122.. Segunda Asamblea Legislativa, Cuarta Sesión Ordinaria. 8 de marzo de 1956
- "CEscuela de Odontología". Carlos L. Suárez, D.M.D., MSD. Retrieved July 10, 2010.
- "San Germán". filirealty. Retrieved July 10, 2010.
- "La selección de jugadores es desde la década del 1920." (in Spanish). El Nuevo Dia. Feb 4, 2008. Retrieved July 10, 2010.
- "Ubaldino Ramirez de Arellano". FamilyTreeMaker. Retrieved July 10, 2010.