Location of Ube in Yamaguchi Prefecture
|Region||Chūgoku (San'yō) (San'in)|
|• Mayor||Kimiko Kubota|
|• Total||287.69 km2 (111.08 sq mi)|
|Population (February 2010)|
|• Density||613/km2 (1,590/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Camphor laurel|
|- Flower||Scarlet sage and azalea|
|Address||1-7-1 Tokiwachō, Ube-shi, Yamaguchi-ken
Previously a coal mining town, the city has developed an effective policy to improve its environment. In particular it has combated the problem of air pollution and its success in doing so saw it being recognised by the United Nations Environment Programme as among UNEP's Global 500 Roll of Honour in 1997.
Tokiwa Park (Tokiwa Koen)
Ube publicizes itself as "a city of greenery, flowers, and sculptures". Tokiwa Park is the centerpiece of this marketing, as it covers a large area near the center of the city and houses a large number of modern, mostly domestic sculptures on the shores of Lake Tokiwa. The sculptures can be found around the city. A sculpture competition is held biennially to provide new additions.
One of the main attractions of the park is a great white pelican called "Katta-kun", so named after his parents who were from Calcutta, India. Born in the park in 1985, he became famous as he began visiting schools in the vicinity by himself. There are many pelicans and swans in the park, including black swans. There is also a coal mining museum with a view over the city and airport from the top of the tower.
Twin towns – Sister cities
- Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, since November 21, 1980
- Weihai, Shandong Province, People's Republic of China since May 18, 1992
Ube holds two festivals each year, one in May and the other in November featuring food stands and carnival games.
The city is served by Yamaguchi Prefecture's only airport, Yamaguchi Ube Airport, with daily flights to and from Tokyo.
- Shinkansen (bullet train)
- Yamaguchi University (national)
- School of Medicine
- Faculty of Engineering
- Ube Frontier University (private)
Economy and Industry
Ube Industries, headquarter and major plants base in Ube. Also, petroleum product company of Solato, printer machine product company of Riso Kagaku, glass product company Central Glass, semiconductor and parts product company of Renesas, pharmaceutical research and product company of Kyowa Hakko Kirin, clinical laboratory research company of Miraca Holdings are plant and factory base on Ube.
People from Ube
- Masaki Kito, attorney at law
- Naoto Kan, former prime minister of Japan
- Tadashi Yanai, founder and president of Uniqlo
- Kazuo Hara, documentary film director
- Hideaki Anno, animator and film director
- Yoji Yamada, film director
- Aimi Kobayashi, pianist
- Shunsuke Kiyokiba, pop singer (formerly vocalist of Exile)
- Satomi', pop singer
- Sayumi Michishige, pop singer (former Morning Musume member)
- Kishō Taniyama, voice actor
- Hitomi Harada, voice actress and singer
- Norihiro Akimura, baseball player
- Makiko Horai, volleyball player
- Sotaro Yasunaga, soccer player
- Daisuke Tomita, soccer player
- Yuji Nakagawa, soccer player
- Ryota Takasugi, soccer player
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ube, Yamaguchi.|
- Ube City official website (Japanese)