December 8, 1932 |
|Alma mater||University of São Paulo|
|Known for||Ethnomathematics, Ethnomathematics Program|
|Awards||Kenneth O. May Prize (2001), Felix Klein Medal (2005)|
Ubiratan D'Ambrosio (born December 8, 1932 in São Paulo) is a Brazilian mathematics educator and historian of mathematics.
D'Ambrosio earned his doctorate from the University of São Paulo, Brazil in 1963. He retired as a professor of mathematics from the State University of Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil in 1993 having behind him an impressive career as teacher, administrator, council member of many societies, including Pugwash, and writer, and he also found time to serve the International Commission on the History of Mathematics (ICHM) for five years. D'Ambrosio is the founder of the Brazilian Society for Mathematics and History of the International Group of Ethnomathematicians. Here he also deals specifically with the history of mathematics in the context of the colonization process.
- 1996, Educação Matemática: da teoria à prática. ISBN 9788530804107
- 1997, Ethno Mathematics. Challenging Eurocentrism, in Arthur B. Powell, Marilyn Frankenstein (eds.) Mathematics Education, State University of New York Press, Albany 1997, p. 13-24.
- Historiographical Proposal for Non-Western Mathematics, in Helaine Selin (ed.), Mathematics Across Cultures. The History of Non-Western Mathematics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 2000, pp. 79–92.
- A Busca da paz como responsabilidade dos matemáticos. Cuadernos de Investigación y Formación en Educación Matemática 7 (2011)
- A Etnomatemática no processo de construção de uma escola indígena. Em aberto 63 (1994)