Ubuntu Kylin 13.04
|Developer||National University of Defense Technology, Canonical Ltd., Ubuntu Kylin Community|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||25 April 2013|
|Latest release||14.10 / 23 October 2014|
|Available in||Simplified Chinese|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux kernel)|
|Default user interface||Unity shell on top of GNOME 3.x|
|License||Free software licenses
It has been described as a "loose continuation of the Chinese Kylin OS". In 2013, Canonical reached an agreement with the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the People's Republic of China to co-create and release a Ubuntu-based OS with features targeted at the Chinese market. Ubuntu Kylin is intended for desktop and laptop computers.
The first official release, Ubuntu Kylin 13.04, was released on 25 April 2013, on the same day as Ubuntu 13.04. Features include Chinese input methods, Chinese calendars, a weather indicator, and online music search from the Dash.
In the latest release 14.10, it features its own Ubuntu Kylin Software Center (UKSC) and a utility which helps common end-users for daily computing tasks called Youker Assistant.
The team also cooperates with Sogou to develop Sogou Input Method for Linux. Since it is close sourced, it is not included in the official Ubuntu Kylin image, but users can download it from UKSC or Sogou's website.
The current version is 14.10.
- Chinese Linux Distro Seeks Place in Ubuntu Family, www.omgubuntu.co.uk, 27 February 2013. Retrieved 29 April 2013
- "Et tu, Ubuntu?", The Epoch Times, 29 April 2013
- "Chinese government builds national OS around Ubuntu.", ZDNet, 22 March 2013
- China to create home-grown operating system, BBC News, 22 March 2013
- The Final Release of Ubuntu Kylin 13.04 Is Now Available for Download, news.softpedia.com, retrieved 26 April 2013
- "Ubuntu Kernel Team - Raring Release Status". Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Saucy Release Schedule". wiki.ubuntu.com. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Trusty Release Schedule". wiki.ubuntu.com. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Larabel, Michael (28 March 2014). "Linux 3.14 Isn't Going To Make It Into Ubuntu 14.04 LTS". Phoronix. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Utopic Release Schedule". wiki.ubuntu.com. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn) Now Based on Linux Kernel 3.16", July 22nd, 2014, Silviu Stahie
Media related to Ubuntu Kylin at Wikimedia Commons