Ubuntu Kylin 13.04
|Company / developer||Canonical Ltd. / Ubuntu Kylin Community|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||25 April 2013|
|Latest release||14.04 LTS / 17 April 2014|
|Available in||Chinese, Arabic, English, French, Spanish, and 50 others|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux kernel)|
|Default user interface||Unity shell on top of GNOME 3.x|
|License||Mainly the GNU GPL and various other free software licenses|
It has been described as a "loose continuation of the Chinese Kylin OS". In 2013, Canonical reached an agreement with the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the People's Republic of China to co-create and release a Ubuntu-based OS with features targeted at the Chinese market. Ubuntu Kylin is intended for desktop and laptop computers.
The first official release, Ubuntu Kylin 13.04, was released on 25 April 2013, on the same day as Ubuntu 13.04. Features include Chinese input methods, Chinese calendars, a weather indicator, and online music search from the Dash.
Future versions will include integration with Baidu maps, the Taobao shopping service, as well as versions of office programs and image management tools. Canonical is also working with the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology on a version that will run on servers.
The current version 14.04 is a Long-term support release.
- Chinese Linux Distro Seeks Place in Ubuntu Family, www.omgubuntu.co.uk, 27 February 2013. Retrieved 29 April 2013
- "Et tu, Ubuntu?", The Epoch Times, 29 April 2013
- "Chinese government builds national OS around Ubuntu.", ZDNet, 22 March 2013
- China to create home-grown operating system, BBC News, 22 March 2013
- The Final Release of Ubuntu Kylin 13.04 Is Now Available for Download, news.softpedia.com, retrieved 26 April 2013
- "Ubuntu Kernel Team - Raring Release Status". Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Saucy Release Schedule". wiki.ubuntu.com. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Trusty Release Schedule". wiki.ubuntu.com. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Larabel, Michael (28 March 2014). "Linux 3.14 Isn't Going To Make It Into Ubuntu 14.04 LTS". Phoronix. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
Media related to UbuntuKylin at Wikimedia Commons