|Uch Sharif (اُوچ شریف)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
Uch or Uch Sharif Urdu: اوچ شریف) (Greek: Alexandria En Indo Potamo) is 73 kilometres (45 mi) from Bahawalpur in Bahawalpur District, South Punjab, Pakistan. Uch is an important historical city, having been founded by Alexander the Great. Formerly located at the confluence of the Indus and Chenab rivers, it is now 100 kilometres (62 mi) from that confluence, which has moved to Mithankot. It was an important centre in medieval India, as an early stronghold of the Delhi Sultanate in the 13th century during the Muslim conquest. Uch Sharif contains the tombs of Bibi Jawindi, Baha'al-Halim and Jalaluddin Bukhari, which are considered masterpieces of Islamic architecture and are on the UNESCO World Heritage Site tentative list.
It is believed that in 325 BCE Alexander the Great founded a city called Alexandria on the Indus at the site of the last confluence of Punjab rivers with the Indus. Nevertheless, some historians believe that Uch predates the advent of Bikramjit when Jains and Buddhists ruled over the area, and that Mithankot or Chacharan Sharif was the true settlement of Alexandria. In AD 712, Muhammad bin Qasim conquered the city and during the Muslim period Uch was one of the centres of Islamic studies of South Asia. There are several tombs of famous mystics (Sufis) in Uch, notably the tombs of Syed Jalaluddin Bukhari and his family. These structures were joined by a series of domed tombs; the first is said to have been built for Baha’al-Halim by his pupil, the Suharwardiya Sufi saint Jahaniyan Jahangasht (1307–1383), the second for the latter’s great-granddaughter, Bibi Jawindi, in 1494, and the third for the latter’s architect.
Uch in modern times
Flooding in the early 19th century caused serious damage to the tombs, including structural problems and the deterioration of masonry and finishes. As the problems have persisted, the "Uch Monument Complex" was listed in the 1998 World Monuments Watch by the World Monuments Fund, and again in 2000 and 2002. The Fund subsequently offered financial assistance for conservation from American Express.
Syed Ali Hassan Gillani Member National Assembly PML(N)
Makhdoom Syed Iftikhar Hussain Gillani Member Provincial Assembly(BNAP)
Arif Aziz Sheikh Member National Assembly PPPP
Makhdoom Syed Iftikhar Hussain Gillani Member Provincial Assembly PML(Q)
- Alexandria (Uch) - Livius.org
- Colin Amery and Brian Curran, Vanishing Histories, Harry N. Abrams, New York, NY: 2001, p. 103.
- World Monuments Fund - Uch Monument Complex
- Rina Saeed Khan, "New York group funds Uch conservation," Pakistan Daily Times, January 16, 2004.
- Uch Sharif
- Uch Sharif : New Photographs on Uch Sharif
- Uch : A detailed photographic description of all famous places of Uch Sharif
- Shrine of Bibi Jawindi, Uch Sharif
- UNESCO World Heritage Foundation - Tomb of Bibi Jawindi, Baha'al-Halim and Ustead and the Tomb and Mosque of Jalaluddin Bukhari
- Bibi Jawindi Tomb-ArchNet
- Livius Uch Picture Archive
- Pictures - Tomb of Bibi Jawindi