Space Sheriff Gavan
|Space Sheriff Gavan|
|Written by||Shōzō Uehara
|Directed by||Toshiaki Kobayashi
|Narrated by||Issei Masamune|
|Opening theme||"Space Sheriff Gavan" by Akira Kushida|
|Ending theme||"Hoshizora no Message" by Akira Kushida|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||44|
|Producer(s)||Yūyake Usui (TV Asahi)
Itaru Orita (Toei)
|Original channel||TV Asahi|
|Original release||March 5, 1982– February 25, 1983|
|Followed by||Space Sheriff Sharivan|
The design of the hero influenced Paul Verhoeven's film Robocop.
Earth is invaded by the criminal organization known as Makuu, led by Don Horror, who had first destroyed a space colony near Earth. Don Horror wants to dominate the whole universe, and the Earth represents an obstacle that he has to overcome by turning it into heaven for all evil. In response to Makuu's attack, Space Sheriff Gavan of the Galactic Union Police (銀河連邦警察 Ginga Renpō Keisatsu?) is deployed to Earth to defend his mother's home world. Gavan is helped by Mimi, the daughter of Commander Qom, and is given information by Qom, assisted by Marin on his home planet. Gavan goes to Earth to defend it against Don Horror and his devilish schemes. He settles on Earth incognito as Retsu Ichijouji, taking a job at the Avalon Youth Club in Japan to track Makuu's forces down.
Based on the Super Dimensional Highspeed Ship Dolgiran (超次元高速機ドルギラン Chō Jigen Kōsokuki Dorugiran?), it serves as headquarters of Gavan and Mimi as it circles around the Earth. It is composed of the giant weaponed Giran Saucer (ギラン円盤 Giran Enban?) and the mechanical dragon Electronic Starbeast Dol (電子星獣ドル Denshi Seijū Doru?) that Gavan rides on in to destroy Makuu spacecraft. Dol's attacks include the Dol Fire (ドルファイヤー Doru Faiyā?) that breathes out fire from its mouth, the Dol Kick (ドルキック Doru Kikku?) that uses its front feet to clamp down pesky fighters, the Dol Flash (ドルフラッシュ Doru Furasshu?) similar to Dol Kick but used by Gavan Type G, the Dol Laser (ドルレーザー Doru Rēzā?) that fires laser beams from Dol's eyes and its claws, and the Screw Attack (スクリューアタック Sukuryū Atakku?) that whips fighters attacking from behind with Dol's tail.
- Space Sheriff Gavan (宇宙刑事ギャバン Uchū Keiji Gyaban?): He is the son of Tamiko Ichijouji (一条寺 民子 Ichijōji Tamiko?) and Voicer, having lived on Planet Bird (バード星 Bādo Sei?) for most of his life until he is assigned the task to protect Earth against the invading Makuu Empire by donning the alias of Retsu Ichijouji (一条寺 烈 Ichijōji Retsu?). When needed, Gavan yells "Jōchaku" (蒸着?, Deposition) so the Dolgiran can encase him in Granium (グラニウム Guraniumu?) particles that form into his silver chrome combat suit within 0.05 seconds. When no longer needing the armor, Gavan utters the Vacuum Evaporation command for his suit to be sent back to the Dolgiran. He is an accomplished athlete and has various weapons at his disposal. Though he relinquished his position as Earth's protector to his successors, marrying Mimi after Shaider's mission on Earth was completed, Gavan battled other enemies like the Madou, the Fuuma cult, and the Zangyack Empire. During the events of Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie, Gavan selected Geki Jumonji to succeed him as the new Gavan. He is now promoted to commander status during the events of Kamen Rider × Super Sentai × Space Sheriff: Super Hero Taisen Z.
- Mimi (ミミー Mimī?, 1-31, 42-44): She is the only daughter of Commander Qom, and Gavan's girlfriend when she stowed away on the Dolgiran. She uses a pendant which is also a visual illusion device allows her to use Laser Vision (レーザービジョン Rēzā Bijon?), she can transform into a budgerigar to spy on the Makuu. She is in love with Gavan but would support him in any case. She leaves the Dolgiran to help her mother on Planet Bird, to return in later battles to continue helping Gavan. After the fall of Makuu, Mimi became a teacher on Planet Bird before she was married to Gavan.
- Laser Blade (レーザーブレード Rēzā Burēdo?): Gavan's mighty sword which is at first normal, with a steel blade. He later transforms it into a light blue blade, which is required to perform the Gavan Dynamic (ギャバン・ダイナミック Gyaban Dainamikku?) to destroy the monster by slicing it in two.
- Lazer Z Beam (レーザーＺビーム Rēzā Zetto Bīmu?): Gavan's projectile attack. Originally a laser beam emitted from his right hand, the Laser Z Beam becomes a pistol in later episodes.
- Barrier (バリアー Bariā?): A protective barrier that Gavan can emit to deflect any attack in front of him.
- Laser Scope (レーザースコープ Rēzā Sukōpu?): A radar device that Gavan uses to detect invisible monsters.
- Electro Sonar (エレクトロソナー Erekutoro Sonā?): A sonar device which enables Gavan to detect any movement and sound in the area.
- Cyberian (サイバリアン Saibarian?): Gavan's personal vehicle, which he uses to enter Makuu space. When he calls for it, this red Suzuki motorcycle with side car and flashing lights at the front comes from the Dolgiran to Gavan's current location. He occasionally uses it when fighting Makuu on Earth.
- Gavion (ギャビオン Gyabion?): Gavan's private tank, only used in the final battles. Like Dol, he stands up on the tank and commands it. This heavy vehicle is quite deadly thanks to all its lasers and cannons. Scooper is contained inside.
- Scooper (スクーパー Sukūpā?): Gavan's drill machine. He uses it to save Professor Kaminaga, to find hidden monsters, and to locate his father.
- Commander Qom (コム長官 Komu Chōkan?): He is the commander of Galactic Union Patrol and the father of Mimi. He lives on Planet Bird, helping Gavan by providing information and training needed to beat the Makuu. He and Gavan can communicate through a giant screen on the Dolgiran.
- Marin (マリーン Marīn?): She is Commander Qom's assistant. She was ready to save Gavan's life when he was almost killed by the poison of the Dokuja Monster. She became Gavan's second assistant in Mimi's absence.
- Voicer (ボイサー Boisā?): Gavan's father and the former Space Sheriff of Earth. Voice was betrayed by his partner Hunter Killer and handed over to Makuu so he would be forced to build the Hoshino Space Cannon, a weapon that can destroy a planet, but he kept the blueprints a secret even after being tortured. Though Voicer was saved from imprisonment by his son Gavan, he died soon after being brought to the Dolgiran with the secret blueprint for the cannon written on the palm of his hand.
- Alan (アラン Aran?, 30-31): The Space Sheriff assigned to Planet Beeze (ビーズ星 Bīzu Sei?). He came to earth in search of a kidnapped princess from Planet Beeze.
- Den Iga (伊賀 電 Iga Den?, 42-44): He is a forest patrolman descended from the Iga ninja clan who was nearly killed by Buffalo Doubler. Den is sent to Planet Bird for his injuries, eventually returning to Earth take over Gavan's position in protecting the planet as Space Sheriff Sharivan.
- Tsukiko Hoshino (星野 月子 Hoshino Tsukiko?): She is Gavan's adopted sister and was brought up by Voicer when her parents were killed by Hunter Killer. She is a very sweet girl who assists Gavan in his missions.
- Kojiro Oyama (大山 小次郎 Ōyama Kojirō?): This is a photographer whose obsession is UFOs; he created a machine that is able to detect them. He met Gavan and from then on, the two keep crossing each other's paths. He occasionally works at the Avalon Riding Club to replace Retsu. He also befriends Wakaba and Yoichi.
- Gosuke Fuji (藤 豪介 Fuji Gōsuke?): The kind grandfather and owner of the Avalon Riding Club (アバロン乗馬クラブ Abaron Jōba Kurabu?) whose greatest wish is to get his young body back. Though he feels sympathy towards Gavan (who he knows as Retsu), he is often angered about his frequent disappearances.
- Wakaba (わかば?) and Yoichi (陽一 Yōichi?): Gosuke's grandchildren. They both live at the Avalon Riding Club and they sometimes happen to be in the middle of the Makuu schemes. They have developed a strong friendship with Retsu and Kojiro.
- Shigeru Touyama (当山 茂 Tōyama Shigeru?): A youth who works for the Avalon Riding Club.
Space Crime Organization Makuu
The Space Crime Organization Makuu (宇宙犯罪組織マクー Uchū Hanzai Soshiki Makū?, literally "demon space"), led by Don Horror, commit criminal activities throughout the galaxies before targeting Earth for its resources. They are based on Makuu Castle which flies within Makuu Space, a dimension created from evil energies and controlled by Don Horror and those descended from him. After Don Horror's death, much of Makuu Castle was destroyed yet ended up in the void of space where it was found by Brighton, Toya Okuma, during the events of Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie where he revived the Makuu Syndicate to resurrect Don Horror. But with the ceremony stopped, Makuu Castle was completely destroyed as a result.
- Don Horror (ドン・ホラー Don Horā?): The monstrous leader of Makuu, an immobile six-armed idol-like being who aims to turn Earth, the obstacle that prevents his conquest of the universe, into a haven for evil by any means. During their final battle, after being severed from his body, Don Horror is killed by Gavan in their final duel. However, during the events of Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie, Don Horror attempted to resurrect himself by using his agent Brighton to get him a vessel to house his spirit. But Don Horror's revival in the body of a young woman named Itsuki Kawai was stopped by Gavan Type-G.
- Horror Girl (ホラーガール Horā Gāru?): Don Horror's secretary, never speaking yet always laughing. She operates the Dimensional Conversion Switch that allows a portal to Makuu Space to manifest.
- Hunter Killer (ハンターキラー Hantā Kirā?, 1-30, 42): He was Voicer's partner, but betrayed him to join Makuu as Don Horror's right-hand man. But after being replaced by San Dorva, Hunter Killer reappears to help Gavan to find his father just before dying to redeem himself.
- San Dorva (サン・ドルバ San Doruba?, 30-44): The son of Don Horror, wearing crimson armor and holding a scepter containing the brain of Witch Kiba, San Dorva joined Makuu alongside his mother Kiba and took Hunter Killer's place as Don Killer's right hand. He meets his end fighting Gavan in the final battle.
- Witch Kiba (魔女キバ Majo Kiba?, 30-44): San Dorva's mother, her mind transferred into his scepter, the elderly hag was a former lover of Don Horror despite him displaying nothing but contempt for her. She co-plots a devilish scheme to exterminate Gavan. Her mind is in San Dorva's scepter and she can materialize at any moment. She is killed by Gavan along with San Dorva.
- Beast-Alien Doubleman (ダブルガール Jūseijin Daburuman?, 1-13): They are the generals of Makuu who can have a human form and are aided by the BEM Kaiju. Unlike BEM monsters, they only assume the form of monsters.
- Crushers (クラッシャー Kurasshā?): The foot soldiers of Makuu in black leather and tights. They are unlimited in number and act only when in groups.
- BEM Monsters (ベム怪獣 Bemu Kaijū?): Animal-themed monsters sent by Don Horror to thwart Gavan.
- Shako Monster: This monster appeared in episode 1. Its powers include fast crawling, invisibility, red lasers from the red back spots, mouth homing mines, and burrowing.
- Gamara : This monster appeared in episode 2. Its powers include explosive mouth lasers, rolling into a ball, mouth mist capable of propulsion, invisibility, and size growth.
- Condor Monster: This monster appeared in episode 3. Its powers include a whip, eye beams, body part separation, an electric remote trident that can fire explosive electric blasts, and invisibility.
- Sasori Monster: This monster appeared in episode 4. Its powers include a mouth stinger that dissolves victims, fast burrowing, a double sided triangular dagger, explosive eye energy bolts, telekinesis, and invisibility.
- Dokuja Monster: This monster appeared in episode 5. Its powers include toxic fangs, an extendable electric tentacle for the right hand, invisibility, summoning cobras, speed, and explosive mouth energy bolts.
- Oomadako Monster: This monster appeared in episode 6. Its powers include tentacle ropes with energy pulses, a flying white ball form, eye energy bolts, teleportation, and size growth.
- Ari Monster: This monster appeared in episode 7. Its powers include teleportation, size changing, explosive body energy bolts, summoning roses armed with venom spray, invisibility, and mouth venom spray.
- Kaenzaru Monster: This monster appeared in episode 8. Its powers include mouth flames, agility, and teleportation.
- Nijichou Monster: This monster appeared in episode 10. Its powers include teleportation, gliding, blinding mouth powder spray, size growth, and eye lasers.
- Armadillo Monster: This monster appeared in episode 11. Its powers include a high resistance to heat, explosive flashes from the eye, teleportation, and size growth.
- Goat Monster: This monster appeared in episode 12. Its powers include teleportation, explosive mouth foam, and agility.
- Sai Monster: This monster appeared in episode 13. Its only known power is a set of horns on the head.
- Double Monsters (ダブルモンスター Daburu Monsutā?): Monsters created by Don Horror which are the combined form of Doublemen and BEM Monsters. During a fight with Gavan, a Double Monster retreats into the Makuu Space where it becomes three times more powerful in an attempt to get the upper hand against Gavan.
- Sai Doubler: This monster appeared in episodes 13 and 14. Its powers include a set of horns on the head, strength, a sword, a shield, teleportation, and a human disguise.
- Shamo Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 15. Its powers include teleportation, agility, summoning poles, summoning dead BEM monsters, and a sword.
- Kama Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 16. Its powers include a human disguise, a chained kama that can be controlled mentally, fake deaths, telekinesis, and a sword.
- Hyou Doubler: This monster appears in episode 17. Its powers include a human disguise, high jumping, and a double sided bear trap staff.
- Aogame Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 18. Its powers include a human disguise, swimming, a halberd that emits electric surges, launch-able shell plates, an explosive boomerang, and a hypnotic hermit crab shell.
- Kyouryuu Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 19. Its powers include a human disguise, a double sided blade, three explosive spears on the back, a pistol, high jumping, and a sword.
- Kera Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 20. Its powers include a human disguise, a spiked left arm, teleportation by spinning, three grenade launchers in the torso, a cannon in the left shoulder, and a sword.
- Mitsubachi Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 21. Its powers include a human disguise, pain negating venom and explosive tracking needles from the left hand stinger called the Bee Sting, a whip, and size growth.
- Kerage Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 22. Its powers include a human disguise, a double sided club ended trident capable of levitation, high jumping, and a sword.
- Kumo Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 23. Its powers include a human disguise, spiders that emit explosive eye flashes, an electric cane, hand webs, teleportation, and a sword.
- Saber Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 24. Its powers include high jumping, a pair of claws on the left wrist, illusions, grenades, a sword, and size growth.
- Goshiki Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 25. Its powers include a human disguise, hallucinating white mist from the right shoulder, teleportation, high jumping, a mentally controlled spear that can emit electric streams on the ground, levitation, size growth, and left wrist grenades.
- Gas Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 26. Its powers include a human disguise, summoning white hallucination gas, a pincer claw staff that can emit explosions, teleportation, and a pair of swords.
- Jaaku Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 27. Its powers include a human disguise, telekinesis, mind control, a serpent staff, summoning snakes that can turn into explosive beads, high jumping, and a sword.
- Hakkotsu Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 28. Its powers include illusions, a bone staff, telekinetic bone bombs, high jumping, teleportation, levitation, and a sword.
- Magic Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 29. Its powers include mentally controlling doves, razor cards, telepathic explosions, teleportation, a telekinetic cloak, red electric shocks from the palms that can be used as surges on the ground, a flying circular saw, transforming into a rock capable of turning invisible, and a pair of swords.
- Keibi Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 30. Its powers include high jumping, morphing into a levitating ball, bouncing head bombs, regeneration, a pair of magnetic spheres, a kanabo, and a sword.
- Saimin Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 31. Its powers include a human disguise with palm lasers, turning humans into puppets by hypnosis, a staff that can fire lasers, teleportation, summoning a rock bomb, invisibility, and a sword.
- Totsugeki Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 32. Its powers include teleportation, a nasal horn, an electric lance, telekinesis, and a sword.
- Kaibutsu Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 33. Its powers include rapid size growth, flight in the larval state, invisibility, an electric claw staff that emits electric surges, teleportation, high jumping, and a sword.
- Doctor Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 34. Its powers include a human disguise, teleportation, launchable arm spears, a zanbatou, and a sword.
- Guts Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 35. Its powers include am electric horned club that emits spiral electric surges, high jumping, a round shield, and a sword.
- Urami Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 36. Its powers include high jumping, an electric staff, freezing stare, teleportation, a human disguise, voodoo pictures, illusions, and a sword.
- Anahori Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 37. Its powers include a human disguise, teleportation, burrowing, a pair of bat bombs, a club, a wine-like whip, an electric drill that can be worn on the right hand and turn into a sword, and illusions.
- Gang Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 38. Its powers include telepathic explosions, summoning explosive magnets, high jumping, teleportation, and a sword.
- Nottori Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 39. Its powers include a human disguise, a sniper rifle-like heat gun, high jumping, mentally controlling an electric tomahawk and a gatling gun, invisibility, and a sword.
- Yokai Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 40. Its powers include a human disguise, telekinesis, a double clawed staff that can emit electric surges, telepathic explosions, teleportation, high jumping, right palm webs, summoning skulls, invisibility, and a sword.
- Jigoku Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 41. Its powers include a spear that emits explosions on contact, dividing into four ninjas, teleportation, emitting electric surges, a ball form, high jumping, and an electric sword.
- Buffalo Doubler: This monster appeared in episode 42. Its powers include a pair of forehead mandibles that emit electric surges, summoning giant buffalo horns, telepathic explosions, teleportation, a ball form, and a sword.
- Lizard Doubler: This monster was used by the revived Makuu during the events of Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie and was destroyed by Gavan. Its powers include skin capable of hacking, activating the axis shift device mentally, a sword, a shield, a missile launcher that can be attached to the right arm called the Lizard Missile, and manipulating environments.
- Rhino Doubler: A remake of the Sai Doubler, who appears in Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters´s 31st and 32nd episode, which serve as a team-up with Gavan Type-G.
|#||Episode title||Writer||Original airdate|
|1||"The Strange Fortress Beneath Tokyo"
"Tōkyō Chitei no Kai Yōsai" (東京地底の怪要塞)
|Shōzō Uehara||March 5, 1982|
|2||"The Stolen Japanese Islands"
"Nusumareta Nihon Rettō" (盗まれた日本列島)
|Shōzō Uehara||March 12, 1982|
|3||"Oh No! Stop Dr. Kuroboshi's BEM Project"
"Taihen da! Kuroboshi-Hakase no Bemu Keikaku o Soshi Seyo" (大変だ！黒星博士のベム計画を阻止せよ)
|Shōzō Uehara||March 19, 1982|
|4||"The Demon Helmet That Calls For Death"
"Shi o Yobu Majin Kabuto" (死を呼ぶ魔人兜)
|Shōzō Uehara||March 26, 1982|
|5||"Mimi Cries, The Deadly Poison Cobra Bullet Hits Retsu"
"Mimī wa Naku Mōdoku Kobura Dan ga Retsu ni Meichū" (ミミーは泣く 猛毒コブラ弾が烈に命中)
|Shōzō Uehara||April 9, 1982|
|6||"The Geniuses of the Makuu School"
"Makū Juku no Tensai-tachi" (魔空塾の天才たち)
|Shōzō Uehara||April 16, 1982|
|7||"A Monster Hides, a Girl Kissed a Petal"
"Kaibutsu ga Hisomu Hanabira ni Shōjo wa Kuchidzuke Shita" (怪物がひそむ花びらに少女は口づけした)
|Shōzō Uehara||April 30, 1982|
|8||"Good or Evil? The Silver-Masked Great Hero"
"Seigi ka Akuma ka? Gin Masuku Dai Hīrō" (正義か悪魔か？銀マスク大ヒーロー)
|Shōzō Uehara||May 7, 1982|
|9||"The Beautiful Puppet Spy"
"Utsukushii Ningyō Supai" (美しい人形スパイ)
|Shōzō Uehara||May 14, 1982|
|10||"Crush the Human Crusher Corps!"
"Ningen Kurasshā Butai o Gekiha Seyo!" (人間クラッシャー部隊を撃破せよ！)
|Shōzō Uehara||May 28, 1982|
|11||"Is Father Alive? The Mysterious SOS Signal"
"Chichi wa Ikite Iru no ka? Nazo no Esu Ō Esu Shingō" (父は生きているのか？謎のSOS信号)
|Shōzō Uehara||June 4, 1982|
|12||"Go to the Amusement Park! UFO Boys' Big Pinch"
"Yūenchi e Kyūkō Seyo! Yūfō Shōnen Dai Pinchi" (遊園地へ急行せよ！UFO少年大ピンチ)
|Shōzō Uehara||June 11, 1982|
|13||"Danger, Retsu! The Great Reversal"
"Ayaushi Retsu! Dai Gyakuten" (危うし烈！大逆転)
|Shōzō Uehara||June 18, 1982|
|14||"A Parting of Love And Sadness, The Final Blow!!"
"Ai to Kanashimi no Wakare Todome no Ichigeki!!" (愛と悲しみの別れ とどめの一撃!!)
|Shōzō Uehara||June 25, 1982|
|15||"Illusion? Shadow? Makuu City"
"Maboroshi? Kage? Makū Toshi" (幻？影？魔空都市)
|Shōzō Uehara||July 2, 1982|
|16||"My First Love is a Jewel's Radiance. Goodbye, Galaxy Express"
"Hatsukoi wa Hōseki no Kagayaki Sayōnara Ginga Tokkyū" (初恋は宝石の輝き さようなら銀河特急)
|Shōzō Uehara||July 9, 1982|
|17||"The Running Time Bomb! The Bad Guy Who Rode a Police Bike"
"Hashiru Jigen Bakudan! Shirobai ni Notta Ansatsusha" (走る時限爆弾！白バイに乗った暗殺者)
|Susumu Takahisa||July 16, 1982|
|18||"Princess Contest, Nonsense Dragon Palace"
"Otohimesama Kontesuto Hachamecha Ryūgūjō" (乙姫様コンテスト ハチャメチャ竜宮城)
|Shōzō Uehara||July 23, 1982|
|19||"Jōchaku at 6:00 AM! Z Beam Charge Complete"
"Gozen Rokuji Jōchaku! Zetto Bīmu Chāji Kanryō" (午前6時蒸着！Zビームチャージ完了)
|Shōzō Uehara||July 30, 1982|
|20||"The Mysterious? Emergency Hospital! Humanity's Great Collapse Approaches"
"Nazo? No Kyūkyū Byōin! Jinrui no Dai Metsubō ga Semaru" (なぞ？の救急病院！人類の大滅亡が迫る)
|Mikio Matsushita||August 6, 1982|
|21||"The Dancing, Prickly Great Pinch: Operation Honey!"
"Odotte Chikuri Dai Pinchi Hanī Sakusen yo!" (踊ってチクリ大ピンチ ハニー作戦よ！)
|Shōzō Uehara||August 20, 1982|
|22||"Golden Mask and Younger Sister: The Yacht Running Toward the Sun"
"Ōgon Kamen to Imōto Taiyō ni Mukatte Hashiru Yotto" (黄金仮面と妹 太陽に向って走るヨット)
|Shōzō Uehara||September 3, 1982|
|23||"The Beauty's Cries That Cut Through the Night! The Phantom Coach in the Fog"
"Yami o Saku Bijo no Himei! Kiri no Naka no Yūrei Basha" (闇を裂く美女の悲鳴！霧の中の幽霊馬車)
|Shōzō Uehara||September 10, 1982|
|24||"Mimi's Nightmare!? The Howling, Cut-Up Demonbeast"
"Mimī no Akumu ka!? Hoeru Kirisaki Majū" (ミミーの悪夢か!?吠える切り裂き魔獣)
|Shōzō Uehara||September 17, 1982|
|25||"The Suspiciously Flickering Underwater Flower. Wakaba in Danger"
"Ayashiku Yurameku Suichūka Wakaba ga Abunai" (怪しくゆらめく水中花 わかばが危ない)
|Kazue Abe||October 1, 1982|
|26||"I Saw The Doll! The True Identity of the Poison Gas Killer Corps"
"Ningyō wa Mita!! Dokugasu Satsujin Butai no Shōtai" (人形は見た！！毒ガス殺人部隊の正体)
|Shōzō Uehara||October 8, 1982|
|27||"The Teachers are Weird! A School Full of Weirdness"
"Sensei-tachi ga Hen da! Gakkō wa Kaiki ga Ippai" (先生たちが変だ！学校は怪奇がいっぱい)
|Shōzō Uehara||October 15, 1982|
|28||"The Dark Sea of Space, Wandering Witch Monica"
"Ankoku no Uchū no Umi Samayoeru Majo Monika" (暗黒の宇宙の海 さまよえる魔女モニカ)
|October 22, 1982|
|29||"Blitzkrieg Magic Battle! A Program of Assassination"
"Dengeki Majikku Kassen! Ansatsu no Puroguramu" (電撃マジック合戦！暗殺のプログラム)
|Shōzō Uehara||October 29, 1982|
|30||"Don Horror's Son Has Returned to Makuu Castle"
"Don Horā no Musuko ga Makūjō ni Kaettekita" (ドンホラーの息子が魔空城に帰って来た)
|Shōzō Uehara||November 5, 1982|
|31||"Listening to the Angel's Song, the Princess Who Became a Doll"
"Tenshi no Uta ga Kikoeru Ningyō ni Sareta Ōjo" (天使の歌が聞こえる 人形にされた王女)
|Shōzō Uehara||November 12, 1982|
|32||"The Mysterious Underground Maze Target is WX1"
"Nazo no Chitei Meiro Tāgetto wa Daburu Ekkusu Wan" (謎の地底迷路 ターゲットはWX-1)
|Shōzō Uehara||November 19, 1982|
|33||"A New Monster is Born: The Boy Who Picked up an Alien"
"Shin Kaubutsu Tanjō Eirian o Hirotta Shōnen" (新怪物誕生 エイリアンを拾った少年)
|Shōzō Uehara||November 26, 1982|
|34||"Memories are Tears of Stars: a Fatherless Child, a Motherless Child"
"Omoide wa Hoshi no Namida Chichi no Nai Ko Haha no Nai Ko" (思い出は星の涙 父のない子 母のない子)
|Shōzō Uehara||December 3, 1982|
|35||"The Young Lion of Makuu. San Dorva's Opposition"
"Makū no Wakajishi San Doruba no Hankō" (マクーの若獅子 サンドルバの反抗)
|Shōzō Uehara||December 10, 1982|
|36||"The Roadshow of Resentment. The Film Studio is Makuu Space"
"Urami no Rōdoshō Satsueijo wa Makū Kūkan" (恨みのロードショー 撮影所は魔空空間)
|Shōzō Uehara||December 17, 1982|
|37||"The Funny Tomboy Princess' Earth Adventure Trip"
"Otenba Hyōkin Hime no Chikyū Bōken Ryokō" (おてんばひょうきん姫の地球冒険旅行)
|Tomomi Tsutsui||December 24, 1982|
|38||"The Surrounded Transport Corps; the Righteous Sun Sword"
"Hōi Sareta Yusō Butai Seigi no Taiyō Tsurugi" (包囲された輸送部隊 正義の太陽剣)
|Shōzō Uehara||January 14, 1983|
|39||"When I Returned From School, My House was a Makuu Base"
"Gakkō Kara Kaettara Boku no Uchi wa Makū Kichi" (学校から帰ったらぼくの家はマクー基地)
|Shōzō Uehara||January 21, 1983|
|40||"The Decisive Battle of the Valley of Doom. You're a Space Sheriff Too!"
"Shi no Tani no Dai Kessen Kimi mo Uchū Keiji da!" (死の谷の大決戦 君も宇宙刑事だ！)
|Tomomi Tsutsui||January 28, 1983|
|41||"Makuu City is a Battlefield of Men; The Red Hourglass of Life"
"Makū Toshi wa Otoko no Senjō Akai Seimei no Sunadokei" (魔空都市は男の戦場 赤い生命の砂時計)
|Tsuyoo Hayashi||February 4, 1983|
|42||"Retsu! Hurry! Dad!"
"Retsu yo Isoge! Chichi yo" (烈よ急げ！父よ)
|Shōzō Uehara||February 11, 1983|
|Shōzō Uehara||February 18, 1983|
|44||"The Neck of Don Horror"
"Don Horā no Kubi" (ドンホラーの首)
|Shōzō Uehara||February 25, 1983|
Gokaiger vs. Gavan
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs. Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie (海賊戦隊ゴーカイジャーVS宇宙刑事ギャバンTHE MOVIE Kaizoku Sentai Gōkaijā Tai Uchū Keiji Gyaban Za Mūbī?) is a film featuring the clash of Gavan and the space pirates Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and especially their captain Marvellous, who is connected to Gavan since his childhood. Scheduled for release on January 21, 2012, the film commemorates the 30th anniversary of Gavan and is part of the 35th anniversary of the Super Sentai Series. Kenji Ohba not only portrays Retsu Ichijouji, but also reprises his roles from Battle Fever J and Denshi Sentai Denziman. Even a copy of Gavan´s combat suit appears named Gavan Bootleg.
Gavan the Movie
Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie (宇宙刑事ギャバン THE MOVIE?) is a 2012 Japanese tokusatsu film to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the Metal Hero Series. The movie features Retsu training his replacement Geki Jumonji as the youth confronts the revived Space Mafia Makuu.
Super Hero Taisen Z
Kamen Rider × Super Sentai × Space Sheriff: Super Hero Taisen Z (仮面ライダー×スーパー戦隊×宇宙刑事 スーパーヒーロー大戦Z Kamen Raidā × Sūpā Sentai × Uchū Keiji: Supā Hīrō Taisen Zetto?) is the 2013 film featuring the first crossover between characters of Toei's three main Tokusatsu franchises, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and the Space Sheriff Series representing the Metal Heroes series as a whole. The protagonists of Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, and Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger are featured, but the casts of Kamen Rider Wizard, Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, and Kamen Rider Fourze also participate in the film. The Space Ironmen Kyodain from Kamen Rider Fourze the Movie: Space, Here We Come! also make an appearance. The teaser for the film was shown after Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Wizard & Fourze: Movie War Ultimatum.
- Retsu Ichijouji (Gordan in the Filipino Version): Kenji Ohba
- Mimi: Wakiko Kano
- Qom: Toshiaki Nishizawa
- Marin: Kyoko Nashiro
- Voicer: Sonny Chiba
- Kojiro Oyama: Masayuki Suzuki
- Tamiko Ichijouji: Tamie Kubata
- Tsukiko Hoshino: Aiko Tachibana
- Makuu: Morita Sakamoto
- Gosuke Fuji: Jun Tatara
- Shigeru Touyama: Shinichi Kase
- Don Horror: Shōzō Iizuka (episode 1-10), Takeshi Watabe (episode 11-44)
- Hunter Killer: Michiro Iida
- San Dorva: Ken Nishida
- Kiba: Noboru Mitani
- Narrator: Issei Masamune
- Double Man: Satoshi Kurihara (episode 2)
- Double Man: Masashi Ishibashi (episode 3)
- Double Man: Shun Ueda (episode 6)
- Samurai Ari Monster (human form): Susumu Kurobe (episode 7)
- Goh Daijoji/Hyou Doubler: Shinji Todo (episode 17)
- Honey: Machiko Soga (episode 21)
- Monica (younger): Hitomi Yoshioka (episode 28)
- Paul: Hirohisa Nakata (episode 29)
- Alan: Hiroshi Miyauchi (episode 30-31)
- Double Monster: Hideyo Amamoto (episode 37)
- Policeman: Touta Tarumi (episode 38)
- Den Iga: Hiroshi Watari (episode 42 and 44)
- Opening theme
- "Space Sheriff Gavan" (宇宙刑事ギャバン Uchū Keiji Gyaban?)
- Ending theme
- "Hoshizora no Message" (星空のメッセージ Hoshizora no Messēji?, "The Starry Sky's Message")
- Lyrics: Keisuke Yamakawa
- Composition: Michiaki Watanabe
- Arrangement: Kōji Makaino
- Artist: Akira Kushida
In other countries
- Space Sheriff Gavan (Skyranger Gavan) was released in the Philippines Aired on ABS-CBN in 1988-1991 & on ABC-5 (now as TV5 (Philippines)) as Gavan in 1994-1997 Then on RPN-9 (now CNN Philippines) in 1997-1998 Before Choujin Sentai Jetman in Airtime and 2nd Metal Hero, in 1999-2000 The Return Aired on ABC-5 (now as TV5 (Philippines)) Everyweeknights, Space Sheriff Shaider aired in that country. Brother to Shaider.
- The series was aired in France under the title X-OR. Its popularity led to airings of subsequent Metal Hero shows such as Space Sheriff Sharivan and Jikuu Senshi Spielban
- Indonesia and Malaysia's screening of Gavan (translated as Gaban) on local TV has gained itself a cult following, and the word Gaban itself has become a meme. It is used after adjectives to give an image of bravery e.g. "sebesar Gaban" ("as big as Gaban", epically big) or "Gaban betul" ("truly Gaban", really brave) or "tahap Gaban" stand for superior level of achievement.
- In Brazil the series was very popular in the 1980s and 1990s, along with several seasons of Metal Hero franchise.
- "Library -- English Titles -- TOEI TV Website". Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- "宇宙刑事ギャバン、30年ぶりに復活！海賊戦隊ゴーカイジャーを逮捕!!". 2011-11-01. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Hyper Hobby, December 2011
- Toei Hero Max, Vol. 39
- "Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie Announced for October Premiere". Anime News Network. 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2012-07-16.