Udaka Ramaputta was a Jain hermit saint, yogi, and a teacher of yogic meditation.Udaka Ramaputta, as his name implied, was either a son of Rama or a disciple of Rama. Udaka, who was one of the teachers of Gautama Buddha, taught yoga. Under him Gautama Buddha practised austerities. After departure Gotama Buddha first went to Alara Kalama and after working hard for many days he equalled his master. At this time Alara had nothing else to teach Gautama. But, Gautama was eager to learn more, so he started to search another teacher. He found Udaka Ramaputta and accepted him as teacher.
- ^ Chopra, Deepak (2008). Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment. New York, USA: HarperOne. p. 190. ISBN 978-0060878818.
- ^ Laumakis, Stephen. An Introduction to Buddhist philosophy. 2008. p. 8
- ^ Upadhyaya, K. N. (1971). Early Buddhism and the Bhagavadgita. Dehli, India: Motilal Banarsidass. p. 95. ISBN 978-8120808805.
- ^ "Theravada Buddhist meditation". http://www.thisismyanmar.com. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- ^ Armstrong, Karen (2004). Buddha. New York, USA: Penguin Books. p. 77. ISBN 978-0143034360.
- ^ Eliade, Mircea (2009). Yoga: Immortality and Freedom. New Jersey, USA: Princeton University Press. p. 162. ISBN 978-0691142036.
- ^ Sumedho, Rewata Dhamma. Foreword by Ajahn (1998). The first discourse of the Buddha : turning the wheel of Dhamma. Boston: Wisdom Publications. p. 3. ISBN 0861711041.
- ^ "Udaka Ramaputta". http://www.dhammawiki.com/. Retrieved 20 April 2012.