Udaya Kumar (designer)
10 October 1978 |
|Alma mater||IDC, IIT Bombay (PhD)
IDC, IIT Bombay (MDes)
Anna University (SAP, Chennai) (B.Arch.)
|Occupation||Assistant professor, IIT Guwahati|
|Known for||The designer of the Indian rupee sign (2010)|
Udaya Kumar Dharmalingam, (Tamil: உதய குமார் தருமலிங்கம் utaya kumār tarumaliṅkam, born 10 October 1978 in Kallakurichi, is the designer of the Indian rupee sign. His design was selected from among five short listed symbols. Udaya Kumar explained that the design is based on the Indian tricolour.
Kumar did his doctoral studies at IDC, IIT Bombay (2010). Udaya received his master’s degree, MDes in Visual Communication from IDC, IIT Bombay (2003) and bachelor’s degree in architecture, B.Arch from the School of Architecture and Planning (SAP) at Anna University, Chennai (2001). And he Finished his schooling in la chatelaine residential jr college chennai.
He has also designed a Tamil font named "Parashakti" as a mini project at Industrial Design Centre, IDC, under the guidance of Prof. G. V. Sreekumar. During his MDes project, he wrote and designed a book on Tamil typography, which is the first attempt at bringing a topic like typography to a Tamil audience. In this book, Kumar also created new Tamil terminology for many typographic terms where English words were used. Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni approved the new Indian currency rupee symbol design which was conceptualized by an IIT post-graduate student Mr. D Udaya Kumar on Thursday 15 July 2010. gets prize money of Rs 250,000. Minister Ambika Soni also said that the “new Indian currency rupee symbol in use but she said it would take approximately six months in India and on the subject of two years to make it recognized all other countries government worldwide”.
- "I hit upon representative Devanagari, says winner". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 16 July 2010.
- Rupee gets a new symbol. Moneycontrol.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-19.
- "Final Selection for the Symbol for Indian Rupee – List of Five Entries: Ministry of Finance, Government of India". Finmin.nic.in. Retrieved 2010-07-30.[dead link]
- Department of Design, IIT Guwahati. Iitg.ernet.in (17 May 2011). Retrieved on 2011-11-19.
- "Rupee symbol maker has DMK background". thestatesman.net. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- "Industrial Design Centre (IDC), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay(IIT Bombay), India". Idc.iitb.ac.in. Retrieved 2010-07-30.
- "D. Udaya Kumar". IIT Mumbai.