Uganda Management Institute
|Uganda Management Institute (UMI)|
Uganda Management Institute (UMI) is a government- owned national center for training, research and consultancy in the field of management and administration in Uganda. It is one of the nine public universities and degree-awarding institutions in the country, outside of the military. The list includes the following:
- Makerere University - Founded in 1922
- Uganda Management Institute - Founded in 1968
- Mbarara University - Founded in 1989
- Kyambogo University - Founded in 2003
- Gulu University - Founded in 2002
- Busitema University - Founded in 2007
- Kigumba Petroleum Institute - Founded in 2009
- Muni University - Founded in 2012
- Soroti University - Expected in 2015
UMI is located on the Kampala-Jinja Highway, 2 miles (3.2 km) east of the central business district, in Kampala, Uganda's largest city and capital. The coordinates of the Institute are:0°19'16.0"N, 32°35'51.0"E (Latitude:0.321111; Longitude:32.597500).
The Institute began training operations in 1968 under the name Uganda Institute of Public Administration. The official opening of the Institute was held on October 7, 1969. In the initial years the Institute was mandated to conduct intensive in-service training to quickly develop a cadre of Africans to assume higher responsibilities consequent upon the attainment of independence in 1962.
In the early 1970s, the Institute became affiliated with Makerere University and it offered postgraduate diplomas in Public Administration as well as Business Management. The postgraduate diploma in Human Resource Management was introduced in the mid 1980s.
Prior to 1992, the Institute of Public Administration operated as a department of the Ministry of Public Service. This status changed with the enactment of the Uganda Management Institute Statute of 1992. The Statute conferred an agency status to the Institute with a great degree of autonomy under a Governing Board. The programs of the Institute were expanded and student intake increased. By 1999 the Institute was offering a Masters Degree in Management Studies besides six postgraduate diplomas, certificate courses and short courses.
As of July 2014, Uganda Management Institute is structured into the following schools:
- School of Civil Service, Public Administration and Governance
- School of Business and Management
- School for Distance Learning and Information Technology
- School of Management Sciences
- Regional Centres; at Gulu, Mbale and Mbarara
UMI maintains an outreach center in the western Ugandan city of Mbarara, 160 miles (260 km) west of Kampala. The Center is located in the Mbarara District Administration Building at Kamukuzi, Mbarara and offers various short courses and postgraduate diploma programs. Using state-of-the-art pedagogical technology, the Center is linked to the main UMI campus, in Kampala via a virtual face-to-face video conferencing facility that complements well with the programme delivery methods. In 2008, UMI established an outreach center in the Northern Ugandan city of Gulu. A third outreach center is located in the town of Mbale, in Eastern Uganda, approximately 250 kilometres (160 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala.
UMI offers the following courses at the main campus in Kampala. Some of the courses are also offered at the three outreach centers, one in Mbale, Gulu and Mbarara. Not all courses are available at the outreach centers:
- Ordinary Diploma Courses
- Diploma in Information Management
- Diploma in Accounting and Financial Management
- Diploma in Administration
- Diploma in Public Procurement and Contract Management
- Diploma in Information and Communication Technology
- Diploma in Logistics and Materials Management
- Postgraduate Diploma Courses
- Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Diploma in Public Administration and Management
- Diploma in Financial Management
- Diploma in Marketing Management
- Diploma in Procurement and Supply Chain Management
- Diploma in Project Planning and Management
- Diploma in Management
- Diploma in Urban Governance and Management
- Diploma in Resource Mobilization and Management
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in Logistics and Distribution Management
- Professional Courses
- ACCA - (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants)
- CIPS - (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies)
- CIM - (Chartered Institute of Marketing)
- Masters Degrees
- Masters in Management Studies (MMS)
- Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Master of Science in Marketing(MSc.Mkt)
- Masters in Institutional Management and Leadership (MIML)
- Doctorate degrees
UMI offers the Doctorate degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Management and Administration.
- Okoth, Cecilia (2 August 2013). "Former Minister Bitamazire New UMI Chancellor". New Vision. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Uganda Management Institute At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Emorut, Francis (29 March 2014). "1607 Graduate At Uganda Management Institute". New Vision. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- UMI, . "Uganda Management Institute: Institute Background". Uganda Management Institute (UMI). Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Mbarara Outreach Center