Uisage Ban Falls Provincial Park
|Uisage Ban Falls Provincial Park|
Uisage Ban Falls
|Location||New Glen, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Nearest city||Baddeck, Nova Scotia|
|Website||Uisage Ban Falls Provincial Park|
Uisage Ban Falls Provincial Park (alternative spellings 'Easach' or 'Uisge'; 'Bàn' or 'Bahn')  is a provincial park near New Glen, in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia on Cape Breton Island, 14.5 kilometres (9 miles) north of Baddeck. The civic address of the park entrance is 715 North Branch Road, Baddeck Forks, Nova Scotia, Canada B0E 1B0
The name Uisage Ban comes from the Gaelic meaning “white water”.
The Falls Trail is approximately 3.0 kilometres (1.8 miles) in length and requires about one hour to complete. The trail passes through a field then follows Falls Brook upstream through a mixed forest and then a climax hardwood forest composed largely of maple, birch, and beech. The deep stream valley narrows dramatically in the vicinity of Easach Ban Waterfall. At the falls, the sheer walls of the gorge tower 150 metres (500 feet) on either side.
Another trail in the park, The River Trail proceeds north from Falls Brook. It is about 3.0 kilometres (1.8 miles) in length (return) and requires about one hour to travel. Following along the banks of the North Branch Baddeck River, the trail winds through a climax sugar maple, yellow birch, beech forest at the foot of the river valley’s steep slope.
The original trail was developed with assistance from the Nova Scotia Forest Technicians Association. Recent improvements were undertaken by Stora Enso and the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources.
This provincial park trail is well maintained and has interpretive signs and a map at the trail head. There are pit toilets and picnic tables in the parking area. The park is open for day use (from dawn to dusk), from Victoria Day weekend in May - until the Thanksgiving weekend in October.
- "Provincial Hiking Trails of Victoria County, Cape Breton Island". Nova Scotia Natural Resources. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Map of: Uisage Ban Falls Provincial Park". Nova Scotia Health Promotion and Protection. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Info on Parks A - Z - Usige Bàn Falls". Nova Scotia Natural Resources. Retrieved April 14, 2012.
- "Lands Profiles - Uisge Ban Falls Provincial Park". Government of Nova Scotia. Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- "Info on Parks A - Z - Seasons and Fees". Nova Scotia Natural Resources. Retrieved September 22, 2014.