Ukrainian Republican Party
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Ukrainian Republican Party (Ukrainian: Українська Республіканська партія; Ukrajinska Respublikanska Partija) was the first registered political party in Ukraine created on November 5, 1990 by the Ministry of Justice of UkrSSR. URP was founded earlier that year in place of the Ukrainian Helsinki Group in April 1990. In April 2002 the party merged with the Ukrainian People's Party "Sobor" as the Ukrainian Republican Party "Sobor".
November 1976 - Ukrainian community groups was established to promote the implementation of the Helsinki agreements. Almost all members of this Ukrainian Helsinki Group where subsequently repressed, four of them (V. Stus, J. Litvin, A. Pacific, V. Marchenko) died in Soviet camps.
March 1988 - Ukrainian Helsinki Union (UKhS) was formed. Since 1989, UKhS has moved to open propaganda activity of promoting the independence of Ukraine.
April 29–30, 1990 - Ukrainian Republican Party (URP) was established in the place of the UKhS. The party was registered on November 5, 1990 by the Ministry of Justice of the Ukrainian SSR as the first political party in Ukraine.
In the 1994 parliamentary elections the URP core party obtained nine seats initially adding three more by the end of the year.
During the Ukrainian parliamentary election, 1998 the party was part (together with Congress of Ukrainian Nationalists & Ukrainian Conservative Republican Party) of the Election Bloc "National Front" (Ukrainian: Виборчий блок партій «Національний фронт») which won 2,71% of the national votes and 6 (single-mandate constituency) seats. In January 2001 the "National Front" parliamentary faction had grown to 17 deputies.
In May 2006 Levko Lukyanenko tried to reestablish URP after URP Sobor switched to Our Ukraine–People's Self-Defense Bloc from the Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc; the new party became to be known as the URP of Lukyanenko and registered in 2006.
- (Ukrainian) Українська республіканська партія „Собор“, Database DATA
- List of registered parties in Ukraine (Ukrainian)
- (Ukrainian) Злилися УРП і "Собор": Матвієнко - голова партії, Лук'яненко - голова ради старійшин, Ukrayinska Pravda (April 21, 2002)
- Virtual Politics - Faking Democracy in the Post-Soviet World, Andrew Wilson, Yale University Press, 2005, ISBN 0-300-09545-7 (page 31)
- State-Building: A Comparative Study of Ukraine, Lithuania, Belarus, and Russia by Verena Fritz, Central European University Press, 2008, ISBN 9637326995 (page 353)
- (Ukrainian) Results in consistencies, Central Election Commission of Ukraine (1998)
- About Tymoshenko, Official website of Yulia Tymoshenko
- Europa World Year Book 2, Routledge, 2004, ISBN 978-1-85743-255-8, page 4295
- (Ukrainian) Виборчий блок політичних партій "Виборчий блок Юлії Тимошенко", Central Election Commission of Ukraine (December 22, 2001)
- (Ukrainian) Вони – Блок Юлії Тимошенко, Ukrayinska Pravda (January 25, 2002)
- Lukyanenko was elected leader of Ukrainian Republican Party, Kyiv Post (November 25, 2010)
- (Ukrainian) Левко Лук'яненко знову очолив партію, Ukrayinska Pravda (November 25, 2010)
- (Ukrainian) Українська республіканська партія, Database DATA