Ukrainian Sea Guard
Ukrainian Sea Guard (Ukrainian: Морська охорона, Mors’ka Okhorona; full name Морська охорона Державної прикордонної служби України, Sea Guard of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine) is the coast guard service of Ukraine, subordinated to its Border Guard Service.
Sea Guard vessels bear the Морська охорона inscription on their boards.
Ukrainian Sea Guard is the local successor of the Soviet Border Troops Naval Units that have been similarly responsible for coast guard tasks. However, there were some interchanges in units, ships and personnel between Sea Guard and the Ukrainian Navy.
Service persons of the Sea Guard wear either the black uniform similar to Ukrainian Navy, but decorated with some green elements (traditional for border guard), or a common uniform of the Border Guard.
The Sea Guard operates four sea guard detachments: in Balaklava, Odessa, Izmail and Kerch; a sea guard cutters division in Mariupol; a special-purpose sea guard cutters division in Yalta; and a riverine Dnieper sea guard cutters division in Kiev. Sea guard administration is split between the Azov-Black seas regional administration in Simferopol and the Southern regional administration in Odessa.
Squads of Marine Security
- Kerch Squad of Marine Security (from the Cape of Mehanom across the strait of Kerch and the Sea of Azov to administrative border between Zaporizhia and Donetsk regions)
- Yalta Squad of Marine Security (special assignment)
- Sevastopol Squad of Marine Security (Main base in Balaklava)
- Odessa Squad of Marine Security (Southern regional administration)
Sea Guard ships
Major vessels, list is incomplete.
|Main warships (3 in service)|
|Pauk||Anti-submarine corvettes||BG-50 Hryhoriy Kuropyatnykov
BG-52 Hryhoriy Hnatenko
|Fast attack crafts (22 in service)|
|Muravey||Patrol boats||BG-55 Halychyna||Soviet Union|
|Stenka||Patrol boats||BG-30 Heroyi Kerchi
BG-63 Pavlo Derzhavin
|Soviet Union||Unlisted: Volyn (BG56), Zakarpattia (BG61)|
|Shmel||Patrol boats||BG-81 Lubny
|Zhuk||Patrol boats||BG-100 508
|Gurzuf||Patrol boats||BG-53 Lviv
BG-54 Kryvyi Rih
|Grafinau||Patrol boats||BG-80 Dunai||Austria||1940|
|Chaika||Patrol boats||BG-01 Krym||Soviet Union||1981|
From 2012 to 2014 there were, plans are to build 39 small guard ships of different classes, including 6 Korall-class and 8 Orlan-class ships. From 2015 onward, there are plans to build a multipurpose guard ship, with displacement around 1000 tons, which can carry one helicopter.
- (Ukrainian) Law of Ukraine about State Border Guard Service of Ukraine 03.04.2003 № 661-IV
- "До 2020 года для Госпогранслужбы Украины планируется построить 39 катеров современных проектов". Flotprom.ru. 05 Авг 2011. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- (Ukrainian) Sea Guard page on the official site of Border Guard Service
- (English) Sea Guard of the State Border Service of Ukraine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ukrainian Sea Guard.|
|This Ukrainian Sea Guard article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|