||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Ukrainian Wikipedia. (August 2011)|
|Slogan||Ukrainian: Вільна енциклопедія (The Free Encyclopedia)|
|Type of site||Internet encyclopedia project|
|Registration||Optional (but required to create articles)|
The Ukrainian Wikipedia (Ukrainian: Українська Вікіпедія, Ukrayins'ka Vikipediya) is the Ukrainian language edition of the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia. The first article was written on January 30, 2004. Currently (July 2014), Ukrainian Wikipedia has 517717 articles.
Quality of articles and popularity
Oleh Chyrkov is one of the foremost analysts of Ukrainian Wikipedia, having analyzed the quality of articles and also comparing specific articles to corresponding ones in other language Wikipedias. His findings show that not all areas of knowledge are covered well, with some gaps in topics and in quality being evident. However, a positive perspective for the Ukrainian Wikipedia is the availability of scientific, popular-science books and encyclopedias that allow using the articles with reference to the author. One area of knowledge has been covered in the Ukrainian Wikipedia to an extent greater than all other Wikipedias — the subject of mining, due to the considerable contribution by one person, Volodymyr Biletsky, a professor at Donetsk National Technical University. Using as a basis his published Encyclopedia of Mining, Biletsky has contributed over 10,000 articles on the subject to Ukrainian Wikipedia. Also, in 2013 the Institute of History of Ukraine at the National Academy of Science gave permission to the Ukrainian Wikipedia to use the digital version of the Encyclopedia of Ukraine's History that was published online. The Higher School Academy of Science and Forest Engineering also allowed Wikipedia to freely use their information resources.
One of the areas where activity is notable is in Wiki Loves Monuments project, an annual international photo contest focused on cultural and historical monuments.. Ukrainian Wikipedians were ranked 4th among 36 participating countries for the number of uploads of images as part of this project in 2012.
Articles about the history of Ukrainian language
A significant number of articles in Ukrainian Wikipedia relate to the history of the development of the Ukrainian language. A study in August 2012 counted over 8,000 articles mentioning the term "Ukrainian language" and over 1,400 articles with the term "history of Ukrainian language" and concluded that collectively represented a good coverage of its history and concepts. Articles about the history of Ukrainian language included articles about early publications like bibles printed in Ukrainian, grammar books, changes in phonetics through time, Ukrainian calligraphy, history of Ukrainian language within the context of the Soviet Union, linguicide and the banning of Ukrainian language by the Russian Government.
Articles about history and science
At the end of 2012 Ukrainian Wikipedia contained over 1,500 articles relating to Ukrainian history. As of June 2012 the Ukrainian Wikipedia contained 52 specific articles about Ukrainian astronomers and astronomo-geodesists, which have now been collated into a published book.
On January 21, 2014, the Ukrainian Wikipedia community decided to block access to the portal every day between 4:00 and 4:30 PM in protest of "dictatorship laws" in Ukraine, that restrict the freedom of speech and pose a threat to the portal.
On October 1, 2005, Ukrainian Wikipedia reached the 20,000-article mark. The milestone of 250,000 articles was officially reached on 21 December 2010, and 860,000 people had viewed 30 million articles in that month alone.
By 2012, with over 400,000 articles and 100 million words, Ukrainian Wikipedia many times over had content larger than the largest printed encyclopedia at that time — the Ukrainian Soviet Encyclopedia.
As of July 2014, Ukrainian Wikipedia has 517717 articles and nearly 2.5 million visitors every day. Ukrainian Wikipedia at that time was on the 16th place in the ranking of the World's Wikipedias.
- January 30, 2004 — 1st article
- April 4, 2004 — 1,000 articles
- June 18, 2004 — 5,000 articles
- December 16, 2004 — 10,000 articles
- October 1, 2005 — 20,000 articles
- October 15, 2006 — 30,000 articles
- November 12, 2006 — 40,000 articles
- January 16, 2007 — 50,000 articles
- May 17, 2007 — 60,000 articles
- September 9, 2007 — 70,000 articles
- December 13, 2007 — 80,000 articles
- January 24, 2008 — 90,000 articles
- March 28, 2008 — 100,000 articles
- July 13, 2008 — 120,000 articles
- May 30, 2009 — 150,000 articles
- April 7, 2010 — 200,000 articles
- December 20, 2010 — 250,000 articles
- July 7, 2011 — 300,000 articles
- December 28, 2011 - 350 000 articles
- September 20, 2012 — 400,000 articles
- May 12, 2014 — 500,000 articles
Notes and references
- Бондаренко, А. І. ("Bondarernko, A. I.) (15–16 November 2012). "Вікіпедія як освітній ресурс: досягнення і перспективи". In Божкова, В. В. Електронні засоби та дистанційні технології для навчання протягом життя : тези доповідей. VIII Міжнародної науково-методичної конференції. Sumy, Ukraine: Сумський державний університет ("Sumy National University"). pp. 25–28. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Lykhohliad, Kateryna (2013-02-05). "Ukrainian Wikipedia turns nine". День ("The Day") newspaper newspaper. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Wiki Loves Monuments". Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Чирков, Олег (Oleh Chyrkov) (2012). "Історія української мови у вільній енциклопедії — Вікіпедії українською, російською, білоруською мовами ("History of Ukrainian language in the free encyclopedia Wikipedia in Ukrainian, Russian and Byelorussian languages)". Українознавство ("Ukrainian Studies") 3: 91–95.(Ukrainian)
- Чирков, Олег (Oleh Chyrkov) (2012). "Історія України XV–XVII століть в вільній енциклопедії — Вікіпедії українською мовою ("History of Ukraine 15th-17th Centuries in the Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in Ukrainian)". Українознавство ("Ukrainian Studies") 4: 48–54.(Ukrainian)
- Litnarovych, Ruslan Mykolaiovych. Українські астрономи. За матеріалами Вікіпедії станом на 10.06.2012 р. ("Ukrainian astronomers. Using material from Wikipedia as of 10.06.2012"). Rivne, Ukraine.
- Iryna Yeroshko (2014-01-21). "Ukrainian Wikipedia protests law curbing free speech". Kyivpost.com. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Вікіпедія:Закон № 721-VII — Вікіпедія" (in Ukrainian). Uk.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- Registered users who have performed an action in the last 30 days; the number of unregistered active users is not compiled
- Pantages, Moka (2010-12-23). "Ukrainian Wikipedia Reaches 250,000 Article Milestone". Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- List of Wikipedias
- Page Views for Wikipedia, All Platforms, Normalized
|Ukrainian edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- List of Wikipedias and their ranking by number of articles
- Wikipedia Statistics Ukrainian
- Wikimedia Traffic Analysis Report - Wikipedia Page Views Per Country
- Ukrainian Wikipedia (Ukrainian)
- Ukrainian Wikipedia mobile version (Ukrainian)
- Wikipedia at Wikimedia Ukraine Weblog (Ukrainian)