Ulf Mark Schneider
Life and career
Schneider was born and raised in Germany and became a U.S. citizen in 2003. He holds a doctorate in economics from the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, and an MBA from Harvard Business School. Schneider joined Fresenius in November 2001 and served as Chief Financial Officer of Fresenius Medical Care before assuming his current position in May, 2003. Previously, he was Group Finance Director for Gehe UK plc., a pharmaceutical wholesale and retail distributor, in Coventry, England. Schneider held several senior executive positions starting in 1989 with Gehe’s majority shareholder, Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH, a diversified German industrial company. Under Schneider's leadership, Fresenius' revenue has almost tripled, the number of employees has more than doubled and net income has increased approximately eightfold. Since Schneider became CEO, Fresenius has also carried out a number of major strategic acquisitions: HELIOS Kliniken, one of Germany’s largest private hospital operators, in 2005; U.S. dialysis provider Renal Care Group, in 2006; U.S. pharmaceutical company APP Pharmaceuticals, in 2008; and in 2011, Liberty Dialysis, another major dialysis provider in the United States.
Schneider chairs the European Advisory Board of Harvard Business School.
- Company's press release on Feb. 26, 2013
- Ulf Mark Schneider’s CV on Fresenius' corporate website
- Business Week: New Blood Invigorates Dialysis Company
- 10-Year Summary Fresenius Group
- Company History
- St. Gallen Symposium 2006
- Business Week: A Prescription for Saving Big Drugmakers
- Harvard Business School case study: Growth and Profitability at Fresenius