Ulisses (sometimes spelled Ulises or Ulysses) is a male orca who currently lives at SeaWorld San Diego in California, USA. He was captured on November 07, 1980 at Reydarfjördur, Iceland, when he was approximately 3 years old. He lived at several parks including the Sædyrasafnid Aquarium in Iceland (November/December 1980), and the Rioleón Safari (December 1980 to June 1983), and Barcelona Zoo (June 1983 to January 1994) in Catalonia, before being transported to SeaWorld in 1994.
Ulisses is extremely gentle and does waterworks with his trainers. He gets along with his fellow orcas but has the habit of picking on older female Corky II. He also showed dominance over Splash when he was still at the park. Ulisses is well known for his dorsal fin, which only droops halfway to his right. He is 19 feet 6 inches (5.94 m) long and weighs 9,200 pounds (4,200 kg). His nicknames are Uli, Big Dog and Uli Bear.
He became a father for the first time on March 16, 2011, when a calf was born through artificial insemination to Wikie at Marineland Antibes, France. The calf was first thought to be a female and therefore named Moana (which means ocean in Polynesian). It was later discovered that "Moana" was a male.
- "About Ulises (SWC-OO-9426)". cetacousin.bplaced.net. Cetacean Cousins. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- "Trasllat de l'orca Ulisses al parc Sea World de San Diego". tv3.cat. Televisió de Catalunya, S.A. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "SeaWorld Animal Profiles". orcahome.de. SeaWorld. June 2010. Retrieved 9 Jun 2012.
- "Une orque un peu spéciale à Antibes" (in french). Europe 1. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "About Moana". cetacousin.bplaced.net. Cetacean Cousins. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
|This Cetacean-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a zoo, aquarium, safari park, or aviary is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|