Ulrick Chérubin (born December 24, 1943 in Jacmel, Haiti) is a Haitian-born politician, who has served as mayor of Amos, Quebec since 2002. He is one of the first Black Canadians to be elected a mayor in Quebec. Like other black mayors in Quebec history, Chérubin leads a municipality which is virtually entirely white and Québécois.
The youngest of five children, Chérubin was educated in Haiti and subsequently moved to Canada in 1970 to study education at the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières. He subsequently taught religion in Cap-de-la-Madeleine. In 1973, Chérubin moved to Amos, where he continued to teach, and also studied administration and English as a Second Language teaching at the Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue.
Chérubin was first elected as a municipal councillor in Amos in 1994, winning his seat with a five-hundred vote majority. After being re-elected unopposed as a councillor in 1998, Chérubin was elected to the position of mayor of Amos. Chérubin was most recently re-elected in 2013, winning 73% of the vote in a victory over Amos municipal councillor Éric Mathieu.
On 10 November, 2013, Chérubin appeared on Le Banquier, the Quebec version of Deal or No Deal, where he won a total of $222,500. Chérubin, who was selected to take part in the program out of a pool of eight thousand initial applicants, appeared in order to promote and raise funds for the centennial celebration of the town of Amos.
- "Ulrick Chérubin". Cape Breton Post (in French). 7 October 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Blatchford, Andy (31 March 2013). "How two Haitian friends became Quebec mayors". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Pierre, Samuel (2007). Ces Québécois venus d'Haïti (in French). Presses inter Polytechnique. pp. 451–453. ISBN 2553014112.
- "Ulrick Chérubin récolte un quatrième mandat à la mairie d'Amos". Radio-Canada (in French). 3 November 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Honorable Ulrick Chérubin". Office of the City Clerk, Boston, Massachusetts. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Guindon, Martin (10 November 2013). "Ulrick Chérubin gagne 222 500 $ au Banquier". Abitibi Express (in French). Retrieved 24 April 2014.
|This article about a mayor in Quebec is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|