Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny
|"The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny"|
|Single by Lemon Demon|
|from the album Dinosaurchestra|
|Released||December 7, 2005|
|Genre||Comedy, alternative rock|
|Producer(s)||Neil Cicierega, Shawn Vulliez|
"The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny", often shortened to "The Ultimate Showdown", is a comical song and video released on December 7, 2005. The song was written and performed by Neil Cicierega under the pseudonym "Lemon Demon", with art and Flash animation by Shawn Vulliez.
"The Ultimate Showdown" is a massive, city-wide battle set in Tokyo started by Godzilla and Batman ultimately involving dozens of pop-culture icons, fictional and otherwise, ending with Mr. Rogers emerging victorious and then committing seppuku. It gained a large cult following among web enthusiasts and became the "User's Choice" on December 28, 2005 on Newgrounds, where it has been viewed over 12 million times. It appeared on several other websites including Albino Blacksheep, YouTube, Transbuddha, and Weebl's Stuff. As of January 2013[update], it had over 11.5 million views on YouTube.
The song topped the "Funny Five" on The Dr. Demento Show for several weeks and was the #1 Request for 2006. The video has since been parodied and referenced repeatedly in other flash videos. A new version of the song was later recorded specifically for the Rock Band Network and was released for the service on July 6, 2010 under the title The Ultimate Showdown (RBN Mix). It has recently been redone live by the full band for Lemon Demon's new album, "Live (Only Not)".
|This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: list rather long, consider abridging. (August 2014)|
In order of appearance:
- Godzilla, Japanese kaiju
- Batman, as Bruce Wayne.
- Shaquille O'Neal, retired American Basketball player
- Aaron Carter, American pop and hip hop singer
- Abraham Lincoln, 16th U.S. president
- Optimus Prime, Transformers Character
- Jackie Chan, Hong Kong actor and martial artist
- Indiana Jones, fictional character
- Care Bears, fictional characters
- Chuck Norris, american actor and martial artist
- Gandalf, fictional character in J. R. R. Tolkien's novels The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
- Black Knight (Monty Python)
- Benito Mussolini, Italian fascist
- Blue Meanies (Yellow Submarine)
- Cowboy Curtis
- Jambi the Genie
- Terminator (character)
- Captain Kirk Star Trek character.
- Darth Vader Star Wars character.
- Lo Pan, Big Trouble in Little China character
- Power Rangers
- Bill S. Preston, Esq.
- Ted "Theodore" Logan, (from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure)
- Spock, Star Trek character
- The Rock, American wrestler
- Doctor Octopus, Marvel Comics character
- Hulk Hogan, American wrestler
- Fred "Mr." Rodgers
Other appearances not mentioned in the lyrics include:
- Samuel L. Jackson
- Mario (video game character)
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Eric Bauman
- Santa Claus
- Jawa (Star Wars)
- the DeLorean from Back to the Future
- Tobias Fünke (Arrested Development (TV series))
Notes and references
- Rempel, Shauna (August 26, 2006). "Copy, paste, animate". The Toronto Star.
- Emily Sweeney (June 22, 2006). He's a hit with Internet set. Boston Globe.
- Bob Batz (April 11, 2006), Seen & Overheard, Dayton Daily News
- "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny". YouTube. December 1, 2010.
- "Dr Demento's official site".