Ulverston Victoria High School
|Headteacher||Mr Denis Fay|
|DfE URN||112385 Tables|
It is a comprehensive school and takes its students from the local area as well as some from Barrow-in-Furness, Grange-over-Sands and Coniston. The school has a successful Sixth Form drawing students from a large area.
Ulverston Victoria High School was formed by the 1969 amalgamation of the Victoria Secondary Modern located by Ford Park and Ulverston Grammar (1903) located on Springfield Road. After the amalgamation the former Victoria Secondary Modern site was known locally as "Lower School", and the Grammar School site as "Upper School". Up to the early 1990s the Lower School site was used primarily for pupils in senior years 1-3, the Upper School for years 4-5 and the 6th form college. In 1998 the Lower School site was closed and all pupils transferred to the Springfield Road site.
The school's most notable sporting achievements include winning the BSOA Large Secondary School Orienteering crown for the last 15 years. In 2006 the school took both 1st and 3rd place in the Large Secondary School category. The orienteering team have come back from the 2006 World Schools Orienteering Championship with 4th, 7th and 5th places for their three teams. The School Orienteering team also has trips to Scandinavia, where the students get to compete in Sweden for five days. This event is one of the biggest orienteering events in the world, attracting in excess of 20,000 competitors.
The UVHS Wind Band (Conducted by Richard Butler The Head Of Music At UVHS) has played internationally, 2007 playing at Prague, 2010 in Salzburg, in 2011 The Black Forest, Germany and in 2013, Lake Garda. The UVHS Wind Band are touring to Lake Garda, Italy in 2013.
The school has been successful in the UK Team Maths Challenge, reaching the national finals in London in the year 8/9 age section both 2012 & 2013, finishing 61st & 67th respectively. The Sixth form team also qualified for the national finals. They also had a number of students qualify for the Pink Kangaroo round of the individual challenge (for the top 2000 students in the country) and one student qualify for the mathematical Olympiad, for the top 500 students in the country. The year 10 team also won their regional finals in Lancaster and went onto compete in the North West finals.
The school's Mexico Link allows students an opportunity to link up and discuss with people from another culture. The school also has a linking with Brondesbury College, a Muslim school in North West London to break down barriers and build bridges between the two very different cultures.
Notable former pupils
Includes Ulverston Grammar School and Victoria Secondary Modern
- Prof Frank Benson OBE, Professor of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at the University of Sheffield from 1967–87
- Sir Wilfred Burns CB CBE, town planner
- John Burrow CBE, Chief Constable of Essex Police from 1988–98
- Prof Sheila Crispin, President of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons from 2006-7
- Bryan Martin, Radio 4 announcer
- Charles May, Director of Research at British Telecom (& the GPO) from 1975–83
- Richard Parsons, educational study guide author and founder and owner of CGP
- William Pearsall, Quain Professor of Botany at University College London from 1944–57, President of the Institute of Biology from 1957-8
- Colin Pickthall, Labour MP for West Lancashire from 1992–2005
- Prof Arthur Porter, Professor of Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto from 1961–76
- Dame Kathleen Raven, nurse, Chief Nursing Officer in the DHSS from 1958–72
- Ronald Raven OBE, surgeon, brother of Kathleen
- Michael Reilly, Director of the British Trade and Cultural Office in Taiwan since 2005
- Prof Michael Rogers, Khalili Professor of Islamic Art at the School of Oriental and African Studies from 1991–2000, and President of the British Institute of Persian Studies from 1993-6
- Prof Peter Ross, Professor of Engineering at the University of Cambridge from 1970-4
- Rt Rev Martin Wharton, Bishop of Newcastle since 1997
- Dr Roger Whitehead CBE, food scientist, President of the Nutrition Society from 1989–92
- John Eccleston, puppeteer, writer, presenter and actor
- George Elokobi, Wolverhampton Wanderers
- Ulverston Victoria High School - UVHS
- Ulverston Victoria High School Sixth Form
- Ulverston Sixth Form Alumni
- Orienteering Club Website
- UVHS Mexico Link Website