|Established||17 September 1965|
|Type||Public, research university|
|Rector||Prof. Lena Gustafsson|
Umeå University (Swedish: Umeå universitet) is a university in Umeå in the mid-northern region of Sweden. The university was founded in 1965 and is the fifth oldest within Sweden's present borders. In 2012, the university was ranked 23rd in the world of higher education institutions under the age of 50 years by the British magazine Times Higher Education (THE). In 2013 the university was ranked 1st of Sweden in the International Student Barometer on international student satisfaction by the International Graduate Insight Group.
As of 2013, Umeå University has over 36,000 registered students (approximately 17,000 full-time students), including those at the postgraduate and doctoral level. It has more than 4,000 employees, including 365 professors.
Internationally, the university is known for research relating to the genome of the Populus tree (Life sciences), contributions to the Gleason problem and function spaces on fractals (mathematics) and its school of industrial design.
Umeå University has four faculties and nine campus schools, with additional campuses in the cities of Skellefteå and Örnsköldsvik. The total number of students enlisted to some of the 50 different study programs and 800 separate courses exceeds 36,000.
The University today has four faculties, listed below in alphabetic order:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
Umeå University has nine Campus Schools, listed below in alphabetical order:
- Umeå Institute of Design - is a college within the Faculty of Science and Technology at Umeå University. The Institute opened in 1989 and is designed and equipped solely for the teaching of industrial design. The Umeå Institute of Design is known around the world for its high academic standards. It's the only Swedish school on BusinessWeek's top 60 list of design school in the world. The program also offers master degrees in Transportation Design, Interaction Design and Advanced Industrial Design.
- Umeå Institute of Technology - is part of the Faculty of Science and Technology at Umeå University. The Institute offers a wide range of study programmes, some of them not to be found in any other part of Sweden. Research in engineering is gradually being expanded. The faculty's traditionally strong position in natural sciences form a base on which new technology research is built. The Institute is a member of CDIO.
- Umeå School of Architecture - opens autumn 2009, and will grow to be an internationally orientated laboratory of architectural development, pursuing education on different levels as well as research. Umeå will obtain 250 study seats in the 5-year Architectural programme.
- Umeå School of Business - aka: USBE, is one of Sweden's four EQUIS accredited business schools, about 2,000 students currently studies at USBE. The School offers four Bachelor programs, seven Master's degrees programs, EMBA-Prague program and doctoral programs. The International atmosphere is important to the school and it offers one Bachelor program (International Business program), all Master's programs, and all doctoral programs entirely in English.
- Umeå School of Education - aka: USE, was inaugurated in January 2009 to replace the former Faculty of Teacher Education.
- Umeå School of Fine Arts - was started in 1987 in a former factory next to the Umeälven river. Every year 12 new students are accepted to the school. A total of 60 people are studying at the Academy.
- Arctic Research Centre at Umeå University (Arcum)
- Centre for Biomedical Engineering and Physics (CMTF)
- Centre for Environmental and Resource Economics (CERE)
- Centre for Environmental Research in Umeå (CMF)
- Centre for Evaluation Research (UCER)
- Centre for Population Studies (CPS)
- Center for Regional Science at Umeå University (Cerum)
- Centre for Teaching and Learning (UPC)
- Demografic Data Base (DDB)
- European CBRNE Centre
- High Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N)
- Northern Sweden Soil Remediation Centre
- Transportation Research (Trum)
- Umeå Center for Functional Brain Imaging (UFBI)
- Umeå Centre for Gender Studies (UCGS)
- Umeå Centre for Global Health Research (CGH)]
- Umeå Centre for Microbial Research (UCMR)
- Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine (UCMM)
- Umeå Marine Sciences Center (UMF)
- Umeå Mathematics Education Research Centre (UMERC)
- Umeå Plant Science Center (UPSC)
- Umeå Sports Science Centre (USSS)
- Umeå Transgene Core Facility (UTCF)
- Vaartoe – Centre for Sami Research (Cesam)
University Hospital of Umeå 
- University Hospital of Umeå, ("Norrlands Universitetssjukhus", "NUS") is the main hospital and research center for medical care and medicine in northern Sweden. It is one of seven schools for medicine and dental medicine in Sweden.
In the latest (2012) Academic Ranking of World Universities, the university was ranked between places 201 - 300 of all universities in the world and at the same time by the QS World University Rankings the university was ranked 297rd in the world (overall). In the latest (2012/2013) Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2012/2013 Umeå University was ranked between 251 and 275 out of all global universities.
Notable alumni 
- Ronny Ambjörnsson, former Professor of History of Science and Ideas (1981–2001)
- Linda Bergkvist, digital artist at HUMlab
- Tomas Blomqvist, Professor in Management
- Jan Bodin, professor in Marketing
- Mathias Dahlgren, associate Professor with the Umeå University School of Restaurant and Culinary Arts
- Claes-Christian Elert
- Gunnar Eriksson, former Professor of History of Science and Ideas (1970–1981)
- Henrik Grönberg
- Kristo Ivanov Professor emeritus of Informatics (1984–2002)
- Lars Lindbergh, Dean at USBE (2007–)
- Karl-Gustaf Löfgren, Professor in Economics, member of Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- Agneta Marell, former Dean at USBE (2004–2007)
- Stellan Nilsson, Professor in Financial Accounting, Auditing and Financial Analysis
- Tõnu Puu, Professor of Economics
- Marcus Samuelsson, associate Professor with the Umeå University School of Restaurant and Culinary Arts
- Lennart Stenflo, Professor of Physics
- Mike Stott
- Håkan Wiberg
- Sverker Sörlin, Professor
- Christian Altmann, Tutor in Graphic Design and Typography
Honorary doctorates 
- Bertil Andersson - Chief Executive of the European Science Foundation
- C. West Churchman
- Christopher Martin Dobson
- Kerstin Ekman, writer
- Anders Englund
- Christer Fuglesang, first Swedish citizen in space
- Robert H. Haveman, Professor
- Lars Heikensten, frm. Governor of the central bank of Sweden
- Roger Jowell
- Carl Kempe, Swedish businessman
- Roger D. Kornberg, awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2006
- Sara Lidman, writer
- John Loughlin, Professor of Politics
- Jean-Pierre Mach
- Sverker Olofsson
- P. N. Ramachandran Nair
- Bernhard Swynghedauw
- Tom Traves - President of Dalhousie University
- Beom Jun Kim - Professor in Sungkyunkwan University
See also 
- "THE 100 Under 50 university rankings: results". Times Higher Education. 31 May 2012.
- "Umeå University ranked 1st in International Student Satisfaction: results". 22 February 2013.
- Research Centres at Umeå University website
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities: Global". Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. 2012. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- "Top 400 – The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2012–2013". The Times Higher Education. 2012. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2012. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- "ARWU World University Rankings 2012".
- "QS World University Rankings 2012 (overall)".
- "Times Higher Education World University Rankings".
- Umeå University - Official website
- Umeå Institute of Design - Official website
- Umeå school of Architecture - Official website
- Umeå school of Business and Economics - Official website
- Umeå International School of Public Health - Official website