|Established||17 September 1965|
|Type||Public, research university|
|Rector||Prof. Lena Gustafsson|
As of 2013, Umeå University has over 32,000 registered students (approximately 16,000 full-time students), including those at the postgraduate and doctoral level. It has more than 4,000 employees, half of which are teachers/researchers, including 368 professors.
The highest branch at Umeå University is the University Board of Directors. The board includes eight members (including the Board Chairman) appointed by the government, the Vice-Chancellor, three representatives for the teachers, three for other employees, and three for the students.
The university has four faculties and eight campus schools, more than 20 research centers and 35 departments. Most education and research are located at the main campus and Umeå Arts Campus in Umeå, with additional campuses in the cities of Skellefteå and Örnsköldsvik. The total number of students enlisted to some of the 50 different study programs and 800 separate courses exceeds 34,000.
The University today has four faculties, listed below in alphabetic order:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
Umeå University has eight Campus Schools, listed below in alphabetical order:
- Umeå Institute of Design – aka: UID, opened in 1989 at what later became Umeå Arts Campus, and is designed and equipped solely for the teaching of industrial design. UID offers a Bachelor program, master programmes in Transportation Design, Interaction Design and Advanced Industrial Design, and doctoral studies. The Institute is known around the world for its high academic standards. It's the only Swedish school on BusinessWeek's top 60 list of design schools in the world.
- Umeå Institute of Technology – is part of the Faculty of Science and Technology. The Institute offers a wide range of study programmes, some of them not to be found in any other part of Sweden. Research in engineering is gradually being expanded. The faculty's traditionally strong position in natural sciences form a base on which new technology research is built. The Institute is a member of CDIO.
- Umeå School of Architecture – opened autumn 2009, and moved 2010 to new facilities at Umeå Arts Campus. Aims to be an internationally orientated laboratory of sustainable architectural development, pursuing education on different levels as well as research. Umeå has obtained 250 study seats in the 5-year Architectural programme.
- Umeå School of Business and Economics – (aka: USBE) has around 2,000 students. The School offers one Bachelor programs, four undergraduate programs (Civilekonomprogram) seven Master's degrees programs (included the Erasmus Mundus Master in Strategic Project Management-program), and doctoral programs. The International atmosphere is important to the school and it offers one undergraduate program (the International Business program) and all Master's programs and doctoral programs entirely in English.
- Umeå School of Education – aka: USE, was inaugurated in January 2009 to replace the former Faculty of Teacher Education.
- Umeå School of Fine Arts – was started in 1987 in a former factory next to the Umeälven river. Every year 12 new students are accepted to the school. A total of 60 people are studying at the Academy, situated at Umeå Arts Campus.
- Umeå School of Sport Sciences – offers higher education to active athletes, but also sports related research in sports medicine and sport psychology.
- Umeå University School of Restaurant and Culinary Arts – started in 1996 with the gastronomy program, but also gives courses in leadership and hospitality management.
University Hospital of Umeå
- University Hospital of Umeå, ("Norrlands Universitetssjukhus", "NUS") is the main hospital and research center for medical care and medicine in northern Sweden. In cooperation with the university, it hosts one of seven schools for medicine and dental medicine in Sweden.
Prospective Swedish students make their applications to all Swedish universities at the Swedish Council for Higher Education website antagning.se and international students use its counterpart in English, Universityadmissions.se. Information specific to non EU/EEA students (applications, tuition fees and scholarships) can be found at Studyinsweden.se.
Umeå University Library (aka: UB) was established at the time of Umeå University's foundation in 1965, but has origins in from the Scientific Library in Umeå established in 1950 at Umeå City Library. Its main building dates from 1968, but has since been extended and rebuilt, most recently in 2006. There are subsidiary libraries at the Norrland's University Hospital, at the Umeå Arts Campus and in Örnsköldsvik.
Umeå University has research departments and education in a broad range of academic disciplines, with more than thirty university departments conducting most teaching and research. Since the 1990s there are also several research centers, mostly local but some in partnership with other Swedish universities, such as the neighbouring Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences and Luleå University of Technology.
The university is home to more than 2,000 researchers and teachers, many of them with international background. Important research areas include ageing and population studies, infections, and forest research.
- Ageing and population studies have access to the new and unique Linnaeus database, which covers the entire Swedish population between 1960 and 2009. It links information from four existing databases, enabling researchers to find new connections between health, lifestyle and aging. The Demographic Data Base also gives access to extensive databases with population statistics from old Swedish parish records, dating back to the 18th century, and from 2012 a Department of Biobank Research, providing data management for research in large biological sample collections collected since the 1990.
- The infection biology research focuses on microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites, and their molecular infection mechanisms – microbial pathogenesis and virulence. Umeå Centre for Microbial Research (UCMR), offer a qualified environment for the development of new strategies against infectious diseases. The centre also hosts The Laboratory for Molecular Infection Medicine Sweden (MIMS), which is the Swedish’s node in the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine.
- The forest research includes plant and forest biotechnology within the Umeå Plant Science Centre (UPSC) – a collaborative effort between the Department of Plant Physiology at Umeå University and the Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), and one of the strongest research environments for basic plant research in Europe, known for its research relating to the genome of the Populus tree and the Norway Spruce. The mapping of the spruce genome, in collaboration with the Swedish SciLifeLab, was the first complete sequencing of a gymnosperm and notable because it is seven times the size of the human genome, with some 20 billion base pairs.
Research centers at Umeå University listed in alphabetical order:
- Arctic Research Centre at Umeå University (Arcum)
- Centre for Biomedical Engineering and Physics (CMTF)
- Centre for Environmental and Resource Economics (CERE)
- Centre for Environmental Research in Umeå (CMF)
- Centre for Population Studies (CPS)
- Center for Regional Science at Umeå University (Cerum)
- Centre for Teaching and Learning (UPL)
- Demographic Data Base (DDB)
- European CBRNE Centre
- High Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N)
- Northern Sweden Soil Remediation Centre
- Transportation Research (Trum)
- Umeå Center for Functional Brain Imaging (UFBI)
- Umeå Centre for Gender Studies (UCGS)
- Umeå Centre for Global Health Research (CGH)
- Umeå Centre for Microbial Research (UCMR)
- Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine (UCMM)
- Umeå Marine Sciences Center (UMF)
- Umeå Mathematics Education Research Centre (UMERC)
- Umeå Plant Science Center (UPSC)
- Umeå School of Sports Sciences (USSS)
- Umeå Transgene Core Facility (UTCF)
- Vaartoe – Centre for Sami Research (Cesam)
Practically all research papers produced by the university's researchers and students are to be found in the DiVA (Digital Scientific Archive) database, founded in 2000 (see link below).
In the latest (2012) Academic Ranking of World Universities, the university was ranked between places 201–300 of all universities in the world and at the same time by the QS World University Rankings the university was ranked 297rd in the world (overall). In the latest (2012/2013) Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2012/2013 Umeå University was ranked between 251 and 275 out of all global universities.
In 2012, the university was ranked 23rd in the world of higher education institutions under the age of 50 years by the British magazine Times Higher Education (THE). In 2013 the university was ranked 1st of Sweden in the International Student Barometer on international student satisfaction by the International Graduate Insight Group.
- Mathias Dahlgren, associate Professor with the Umeå University School of Restaurant and Culinary Arts
- Kristo Ivanov Professor emeritus of Informatics (1984–2002)
- Agneta Marell, former Dean at USBE (2004–2007)
- Staffan Normark, former professor of microbiology and infectious disease (1980–1989, 2008–2010)
- Tõnu Puu, Professor of Economics
- Marcus Samuelsson, associate Professor with the Umeå University School of Restaurant and Culinary Arts
- Mike Stott
- Sverker Sörlin, Professor
- Tor Troéng, professional mixed martial artist currently fighting as a Middleweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Gunnar Öquist, former professor of plant physiology (1981–2003, 2010–)
- Bertil Andersson, Chief Executive of the European Science Foundation
- C. West Churchman
- Christopher Martin Dobson
- Kerstin Ekman, writer
- Christer Fuglesang, first Swedish citizen in space
- Anita Gradin, former Swedish counselor of state
- Tarja Halonen, former president of Finland
- Robert H. Haveman, Professor
- Lars Heikensten, frm. Governor of the central bank of Sweden
- Roger Jowell
- Carl Kempe, Swedish businessman
- Beom Jun Kim, Professor in Sungkyunkwan University
- Roger D. Kornberg, awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2006
- Sara Lidman, writer
- John Loughlin, Professor of Politics
- Denis Mukwege, congolese gynecologist, founder of Panzi Hospital
- Lars Nittve, museum director
- Sverker Olofsson
- Bernhard Swynghedauw
- Tom Traves, President of Dalhousie University
- Margot Wallström, former European commissioner
- "Facts and Figures". Umeå University. 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- "Facts and Figures/ Did You Know That ... ?". Umeå University. 2013-04-15. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Umeå University in Figures Retrieved July 1, 2014
- PNAS, April 6, 2004: "A Populus EST resource for plant functional genomics" retrieved July 2, 2014
- Nature 497, 579–584: "The Norway spruce genome sequence and conifer genome evolution" Retrieved July 2, 2014
- Red Dot Design Ranking 2013, Universities - Americas & Europe Retrieved July 2, 2014
- Umeå University – The University Board retrieved July 2, 2014
- Universty Admissions – Fees and scholarships retrieved July 2, 2014
- History, Umeå University Library website, retrieved 6 May 2014
- Umeå University - Department of Biobank Research Retrieved July 2, 2014
- Umeå University Press release: "Infection research receives continued Linnaeus Centre funding with 45 million SEK during the second five-year period" Retrieved July 2, 2014
- Vinnova: "http://www.upsc.se/about-upsc/news/4381-umea-plant-science-centre-receives-top-review-among-the-worlds-best.html" retrieved July 2, 2014
- Research Centres at Umeå University website
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities: Global". Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. 2014. Retrieved August 15, 2014.
- "Top 400 – The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2013–2014". The Times Higher Education. 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "QS World University Rankings (2013/14)". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2013. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "ARWU World University Rankings 2012".
- "QS World University Rankings 2012 (overall)".
- "Times Higher Education World University Rankings".
- "THE 100 Under 50 university rankings: results". Times Higher Education. 31 May 2012.
- "Umeå University ranked 1st in International Student Satisfaction: results". 22 February 2013.
- "Tor Troeng UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014.
- Umeå University - Official website
- DiVA (Digital Scientific Archive) - for Umeå University Publications