Umm al-Qura University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
- Umm Al-Qura University may also refer to a calendar of Saudi Arabia or the City of Mecca. See Islamic calendar or Mecca.
|Umm Al-Qura University
جامعة أم القرى
Jāmiʿat ʾUmmi l-Qurā
|Location||Mecca, Mecca Province, Saudi Arabia|
Umm Al-Qura University (Arabic: جامعة أم القرى Jāmiʿat ʾUmmi l-Qurā) is a public university in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. It is considered one of the most prestigious university in the entire Islamic world due to its unique location in Makkah Al-Mukarramah. It was established as the College of Shari`a (Islamic Law) in 1949 before being joined by new colleges and renamed Umm Al-Qura by royal decree in 1981.
Although it started primarily as an Islamic university offering degrees in Islamic Law and Arabic language studies, it offers scores of degrees in Technology Management, Business Management, Islamic Economics, Marketing, Engineering, Technology, Medicine, Education, Architecture, as well various Applied Sciences.
In 1949 King Abdulaziz Al Saud established the College of Shari'a (Islamic Law) in Makkah, making it the first higher education institution in the country. It constituted the kernel of Umm Al-Qura University and its most prominent college. It was followed by the establishment of the Teachers' College in 1952. This continued until 1959 when the College of Shari'a took the responsibility of teachers' preparation and became the College of Shari'a and Education. In 1962 the College of Education was established as an independent college.
In 1971 the Colleges of Shari'a and Education became part of King Abdul Aziz University in Jeddah and constituted its branch in Mecca. However, The University of Umm Al-Qura was established in 1981 by the royal decree number 39 in 1981 and the colleges of Shari'a and Education were detached from King Abdul Aziz University and joined by new departments to form the new university.
- Lead by Prof. Dr. Mohammad Fawwaz Rajallah Al-Omiri, the vision of the College of Business (CoB) is to be recognized as an institution of excellence in Business education and research both regionally and globally. Consistent with the stated University mission, the mission of the CoB is to graduate leading and inspiring business professionals, who can act as leaders of technology-enabled change and innovation as well as ethically, socially, and environmentally responsible agents in organizations. Through knowledge discovery, dissemination, and application, we want to advance the design, management, operations, and interaction of business, financial, technological, and social systems.
- The CoB has five departments offering high quality and cutting-edge teaching and learning in various business and management programs. The forward-looking intent of the CoB is evident from the fact that the CoB started offering in September 2013 the undergraduate Business Technology Management program, which is considered to be the only such undergraduate program in the whole Middle East and North Africa as well as among the very few in the whole world.
- The CoB aspires to be accredited by AACSB (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and is an academic member of AACSB International. AACSB International is a membership association of educational institutions, business, not-for-profit, and government organizations devoted to the advancement of higher education in business. The CoB also boasts the only Center for Teaching Excellence in the whole university striving for achieving even higher excellence in teaching, advising, and mentoring of the college students. These efforts towards achieving AACSB accreditation as well as continuous improvement in teaching excellence, among others, are coordinated by Prof. Dr. Abdul-Rahim Nasir Ahmad.
- Faculty members at the CoB are involved in leading-edge research in such diverse areas as Strategic Management, Optimization, Supply Chain Management, Information Systems, Technology Management, Accounting and Finance, Marketing Management, Economics, etc. The research is disseminated through publications in international journals and presentations at world-renowned conferences, workshop, and symposiums. The CoB faculty members are working on various industry- and government-funded research projects (including, NSTIP, KACST, ICRS, etc.).
- College of Applied Sciences
- College of Social Sciences
- College of Engineering and Islamic Architecture
- Faculty of Dentistry
- College of Medicine
- College of Community Service and Continuing Education
- Institute of Scientific Research and Revival of Islamic Heritage
- Institute of Arabic Language for Non-Native Speakers
- College of Computers
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Applied medical Science
- College of Shari`ah and Islamic Studies
- College of Education for Girls at Al-Qunfudah
- College of Teacher Preparation in Al-Qunfudah
- College of Teacher Preparation in Makkah
- College of Education for Girls in Al Leith
- College of Education for Girls - Literature Sections
- College of Education for Girls - Domestic Economy
- College of Education for the Preparation of Female Teachers
- Bakri Bin M'atoog Bin Bakri Al-Assas, President of Umm Al Qura University
- Dr.Fahad Ahmed Yahya Al-Zahrani, Dean of Information Technology at Umm Al Qura University
- Dr. Basem Y. Alkazemi, Vice Dean of Information Technology at Umm Al Qura University
- Rabee Al-Madkhali, well-known Salafi scholar, who is recognized for many well written rufutations against Sayyid Qutb and other.
- Abdul Aziz al-Harbi, also a professor and member of the academic board.
- Dr. Nabeel Koshak, also professor of architecture and Vice-President of Business and Innovation
- Safar Al-Hawali
- Saud Al-Shuraim, also Imam at the Masjid-al-Haraam
- Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais, also Imam and the President of the Decision-Making Council at the Masjid-al-Haraam
- Iqbal Masood Nadvi
- Mutlaq Hamid Al-Otaibi, Poet and writer and former associate professor in faculty of sharia at the University of Umm al-Qura.
- Ursula Lindsay, 'Saudi Arabia Reaches Out to Foreign Colleges at Conference', in The Chronicle of Higher Education, 21 April 2011 
- Biography of Dr. Abdul Aziz al-Harbi on the official website of the Arabic Language Academy. 7 February 2012. Accessed 29 January 2013.