- This page is about the city in Brazil. For the mountain pass in Hindu Kush, see Unai Pass.
|Município de Unaí
Municipality of Unaí
Localization of Unaí in Minas Gerais
|Founded||December 30, 1943|
|• Mayor||Delvito Alves da Silva Filho (PTB)
|• Total||10,727,460 km2 (4,141,900 sq mi)|
|Elevation||575 m (1,886 ft)|
|• Density||7.92/km2 (20.5/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-3 (UTC-3)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-2 (UTC-2)|
|Postal Code (CEP)||38610-000|
|Area code(s)||+55 38|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
Unai is located southeast of the Federal District and is linked thereto by the BR-251 highway, which also connects with BR 040 at Paracatu. The Preto River, which flows out of Lagoa Feia near Formosa and joins the Paracatu River, passes by the city. Neighboring municipalities are: Buritis, Cabeceira Grande, Paracatu, Dom Bosco, Natalândia, Bonfinópolis de Minas, Uruana de Minas, Arinos, Brasilândia de Minas, and João Pinheiro.
Unaí is also the seat of a microregion (number 64) composed of 9 cities with an area of 27,653.10 km² and a population of 133,168 inhabitants. Cities making up the microregion of Unaí are Arinos, Bonfinópolis de Minas, Buritis, Cabeceira Grande, Dom Bosco, Formoso, Natalândia, Unaí, and Uruana de Minas.
The region has experienced rapid development in recent years after the building of Brasília and the opening up of the cerrado soils to cultivation of soybeans and irrigated rice. There are large herds of cattle—305,000 head (35,000 milking cows)--and extensive plantations of corn, beans, soybeans, sorghum, and rice. The main agricultural products in planted area in 2006 were oranges, passion fruit, cotton, garlic, rice, beans, corn, soybeans, sorghum, and wheat. There were 8 banks: Banco do Brasil, Bradesco, Caixa Federal de Depósitos, HSBC, Itaú, Mercantil, Crediunai, and Crediparnor.
PLanted area of main crops in 2006
- Soybeans: 83,000 ha.
- Sorghum: 12,000 ha.
- Corn: 34,000 ha.
- Rice: 1,300 ha.
- Beans: 40,000 ha.
- Coffee: 1,635 ha.
- Bananas: 80 ha.
- Oranges: 116 ha.
Farm data for 2006
- Number of farms: 3,596
- Total area: 664,351 ha.
- Planted area: 170,000 ha.
- Area in natural pasture: 313,408 ha.
- Persons working in agriculture: 12,500 
Health and education
- Primary schools: 31
- Enrollment: 13,222 (2006)
- Middle and secondary schools: 9
- Enrollment: 4,084
- Health clinics: 19 (2005)
- Hospitals: 4 with 208 beds (43 beds in public hospitals) 
There is one institution of higher learning in the city: Faculdade de Ciências de Unaí
Municipal Human Development Index
- MHDI: .812
- Ranking in the state: 21 out of 853 municipalities in 2000
- Ranking in the country: 343 out of 5,138 municipalities in 2000
- Literacy rate: 87%
- Life expectancy: 74.7 
- "Estimativas das Populações Residentes, em 01.07.2006, Segundo os Municípios" (PDF) (in in Portuguese). IBGE. Retrieved 2006-09-01.
- Prefeitura de Unaí
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Unaí.|