|New Testament manuscript
|Now at||Princeton University Library|
|Size||20,5 x 15,2 cm|
Uncial 047 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering no. 047, ε 95 von Soden), is a Greek uncial manuscript of the Gospels. The codex is dated paleographically to the 8th century. Formerly the codex was designated by Hebrew letter ב. It has full marginalia.
The codex contains on 152 parchment leaves (20,5 cm by 15,2 cm) almost complete text of the four Gospels, with some lacunae (Matthew 2-3; 28; Mark 5-6; 8-9; John 12; 14; 17). The text is written partly in double columns and partly in cruciform, 37 or 38 lines per page. Parchment is thick, ink is brown. The letters are small.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, and their τιτλοι (titles) at the top of the pages. There is also a division according to the smaller Ammonian Sections (in Mark sections 237, the last section in 16:15), with references to the Eusebian Canons (written below Ammonian Section numbers).
It contains prolegomena, lists of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) before each Gospel, and lectionary equipment on the margin (for liturgical use), and Verses.
It does not contain the text of Matthew 16:2b–3, text of John 5:3.4 is present, but they were marked by an obelus in the left-hand margin, indicating that the passage is doubtful. The pericope John 7:53-8:11 is not marked by an obelus or asterisk.
It uses grammar form ειπαν (for 3 person and plural in aoristus) typical for the Koine-Greek, instead of ειπον typical for the Byzantine-Greek.
Matthew 2:15-3:12; 28:10-20; Mark 5:40-6:18; 8:35-9:19; John 2:17-42; 14:7-15:1; 18:34-21:25.
The Greek text of this codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type, Aland gave for it the following textual profile: 1751, 961/2, 62, 21s Aland placed it in Category V. Wisse recognized its text – in Luke 1; 10; 20 – as text of the textual family Kx. Hermann von Soden did not classified it to this group.
In John 1:29 it lacks ο Ιωαννης along with manuscripts Sinaiticus, Alexandrinus, Vaticanus, Cyprius, Campianus, Petropolitanus Purpureus, Vaticanus 354, Nanianus, Macedoniensis, Sangallensis, Koridethi, Petropolitanus, Athous Lavrensis, 045, 0141, 8, 9, 565, 1192;
The codex was discovered by Gregory in 1886, who gave first description of the codex.
The codex was formerly held in the monastery of St. Andrew on Athos Peninsula. C. R. Gregory examined it in 1886. It was brought by T. Whittemore to the United States. Since 1942 the codex is located in the Princeton University Library (Library Μed. and Ren. Mss, Garrett 1), in Princeton, New Jersey.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 37.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 118. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- "Liste Handschriften". Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: Hinrichs. p. 95.
- Bruce M. Metzger, Manuscripts of the Greek Bible. An Introduction to Greek Palaeography, Oxford 1991, p. 98.
- Kurt Aland, Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum. Locis parallelis evangeliorum apocryphorum et patrum adhibitis edidit, Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart 1996, p. XXIV.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 52. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- The Gospel According to John in the Byzantine Tradition (Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft: Stuttgart 2007), p. 7
- Gregory, C. R. (1907). Canon and Text of the New Testament. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons. p. 363. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- Kenneth W. Clark, A Descriptive Catalogue of Greek New Testament Manuscripts in America (Chicago, 1937), pp. 61-63.
- Bruce M. Metzger, Manuscripts of the Greek Bible: An Introduction to Greek Palaeography, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1991, p. 98, 99 (Plate).
- Uncial 047: at the Encyclopedia of Textual Criticism