|This article relies on references to primary sources. (March 2013)|
|Industry||Computer and video games|
|Headquarters||Seattle, Washington, USA|
|Key people||Jeff Strain (Founder)|
Undead Labs was founded in 2009 by Jeff Strain, with the sole focus on zombie based games. On February 3, 2011 Undead Labs announced that they were partnering with Microsoft Game Studios to publish their games on the Xbox 360. This decision was made after most of the other publishers who showed interest in the games was requesting what they described as "World of Warcraft clones". The first game codenamed Class3 will be a third person shooter arcade game in which the player is set to survive in an open-world sandbox, the game is set to be released on the Xbox 360 via Xbox Live Arcade and Microsoft Windows in early 2013. The real name for Class3 has since then been announced as State of Decay. The game will act as a way to publicize their title more and also allow gamers to submit feedback to help tweak and refine the gameplay for the MMO, that is codenamed Class4. Undead Labs has announced that State of Decay will be released on PC as well although system requirements have not been revealed.
On January 11, 2014 it was announced that Undead Labs has signed a multi-year, multi-title agreement with Microsoft Studios.
State of Decay (formerly Class3) is an open world zombie survival horror game, but unlike games such as Left 4 Dead and Dead Island, State of Decay will focus more on survival, stealth, evasion, distraction, securing resources, and moving through the world rather than actual zombie combat. On April 12, 2013 the game was officially announced to release in June 2013 on Xbox Live Arcade and Microsoft Windows at a future date. Class4 is the codename for the followup to State of Decay. Little is known about the game other than it is planned to be one of the first massively multiplayer online games (MMOs) to come to the Xbox 360. Since The Elder Scrolls Online is comming April 4th, it will maybe be the second massively multiplayer online game to come to the Xbox 360.
State of Decay was released on the Xbox Live Marketplace on June 5, 2013 for 1600 Microsoft Points. With the conversion from Microsoft points to actual cash, the game retails for $19.99 on the XBLA.
- "Studio announcement". Undead Labs. November 23, 2009. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- "Undead Labs and Microsoft game studios to create zombie...". Undead Labs. February 3, 2011. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- "Rude QA 2". Undead Labs. February 3, 2011. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- Rosenburg, Adam (February 2, 2011). "'Class3' Coming To Xbox Live Arcade". MTV Multiplayer. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- McElroy, Griffon (February 3, 2011). "Jeff Strain Shares His Vision for Class3, a Different Kind of Zombie Game". Joystiq. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- Weathers, Sanya (August 31, 2012). "Faq". Undead Labs. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (11 January 2014). "State of Decay dev signs multi-year agreement with Microsoft". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "SOD release announced to be June 2013".