Undeck the Halls
|"Undeck the Halls"|
|Modern Family episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1
|Directed by||Randall Einhorn|
|Written by||Dan O'Shannon|
|Original air date||December 9, 2009|
|Season 1 episodes|
"Undeck the Halls" is the tenth episode of the ABC series Modern Family. It premiered on ABC in the United States on December 9, 2009. In the episode, Claire (Julie Bowen) and Phil (Ty Burrell) threaten to take away Christmas when the kids get in trouble; Cameron (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) take Lily (Jayden and Ella Hiller) to get her first picture with Santa. Fred Willard guest stars as Phil's dad, Frank Dunphy.
Fred Willard makes an appearance as Phil's dad as the family shows Grandpa the Christmas decorations via webcam. Discovering a burn mark on the arm of the couch, Phil and Claire draw the conclusion one of the kids was playing with matches or possibly smoking a cigarette. Phil, as usual, reacts in an extreme manner, threatening to take Christmas away for everyone if no one confesses.
Jay introduces Manny to some Pritchett Christmas traditions, such as watching Miracle on 34th Street. However, Gloria and Manny want to incorporate some of their Colombian practices into Jay's holiday traditions, including practical jokes and fireworks. Jay doesn't react very well.
Meanwhile Cameron and Mitchell take Lily to the mall for her first picture with Santa, however this Santa isn't very jolly. Complaining to management, they are responsible for getting the guy portraying Santa fired. Feeling guilty, they take him home to share dinner - with nerve-wracking results.
In its original American broadcast, "Undeck the Halls" was viewed by an estimated 9.666 million households and received a 3.8 rating/10% share in the 18-49 demographic with a 5.6 rating/6% share Nielsen rating in the Nielsen Media Research. "Undeck the Halls" finished 23rd place in the weekly ratings with. The episode was the 6th highest rated show on ABC in overall viewership for the week, and was second in the 18-49 ratings for the week (following the Disney special Prep and Landing).
Robert Canning gave it a 8.6/10 saying it "set the bar for hopefully many more Christmas episodes to come" saying the most fun came from Cameron and Mitchell's subplot and says he looks forward to more Christmas episodes. Jason Hughes of TV Squad stated in his review "This holiday episode was lighter on the funny moments than most episodes of Modern Family, which isn't to say that it wasn't plenty funny. It substituted those with more heartfelt moments.". He also stated the best moment of the episode was when Jay surprised Gloria and Manny with fireworks. TV Fanatic gave the episode a positive review saying "The episode might not have been as funny as previous installments, but it certainly had some very sweet heart, especially when it came to Jay's storyline." But the episode was criticised for not featuring Fred Willard saying "Fred Willard is comedic genius and could have added a lot to the already amazing Modern Family cast, but was for some odd reason underused."
- "Modern Family: Undeck the Halls: Writers, Directors, and Crew". TV.com. Retrieved 2009-12-14.
- Seidman, Robert (December 10, 2009). "Broadcast Finals: Glee rises to season high; Criminal Minds up; The Middle, Gary Unmarried down a tick". TVbythenumbers. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- Robert Seidman (2009-12-15). "TV Ratings, Sunday Night Football, Big Bang Theory, Biggest Loser and CSI top weekly broadcast charts". Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- Robert Canning (2009-12-10). "Modern Family: "Undeck the Halls" Review". Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- Hughes, Jason (December 10, 2010). "Review: Modern Family - Undeck the Halls". TV Squad. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- The Barnacle (December 10, 2009). "Modern Family Review: "Undeck the Halls"". TV Fanatic. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- "Undeck the Halls" at ABC.com
- "Undeck the Halls" at the Internet Movie Database
- "Undeck the Halls" at TV.com